Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #9,376 of 18,459

Quote:
http://www.audeze.com/2011/02/cables-adz-5/

discuss :wink:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I applaud Audeze's continued quest for perfection!!  Way to go guys!

Why? Nice of them to care about the cable construction.

...and I had recently posted a call for feedback regarding which cables sounded best with the LCD-2s. Perhaps we could get some reviews on the new cable, as well as comparisons with other cables, when the folks on the waiting list get their headphones.

I have the new one coming today and will able to compare the old and also the excellent Norse that I had for the mini meet. I will post impressions on the differences when it get here and will update the thread. My old cable started shreding and the mesh was falling apart

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #9,377 of 18,459

[size=medium]
Hi,
yesterday evening 6pm to 12 pm, I was listening to both LCD and hd800. I did something that probably shouldn't but as it work and couldn't ear noticeable decrease in SQ I did. Connecting both cans at same time to both output from BCL. so during 2 hours, just did a very thorough A/B test. well very funny. I'll try to describe as I'm not native speaking English and worst, now I'm living in Bogota - Colombia, so messing up Portuguese Spanish and English heehe. First I was impressed with the difference between the two cans... Two top tier cans with such a different sound, It shouldn't. My first album was a apple losseless Fred Simon dreamhouse, from naim audio, coming from my macbook, BCL usb. Its a piano based jazz that I'm very familiar, listen to it in a lot of hi end speaker systems, including at my house. Its a small presentation were the hd800 huge sound stage doesn't mean much. I was more focus on the overall presentation and tonal balance. The piano is very differently presented by both. The LCD does sound louder than hd800, I guess due to the more forward presentation, so I had to lower a bit, when changing from lcd to hd800. So back to piano, the first minutes, I thought that the LCD was more inaccurate, it sounded more in my face, as the hd800 sounded more round, soft. After a wile I I change my mind. to my ears, the lcd was presenting with a tad more information, even in simple piano notes. As I could ear clearly the hammer hitting the string, (I thing the attack and decay of the notes) and it had much more attack, (I've lived 5 years with one bosendorfer, don't play but know how it sounds), was more accurate (not perfect accurate) and more visceral and alive. Even when I push the volume up, disconnected the lcd, the hd800 couldn't have the realism of the lcd. Note wasn't tone perfect but the attack and the weight of the notes were there with lcd, not quiet with hd800. I think this is where everyone is praising about lcd 2, not perfect but very very natural with a real  feel of presence. As I was all the 48 minutes that this album last, changing between the two, it become perfectly clear who was the winner - LCD 2. It has (to my ears again) richer, fuller more forward presentation, much more alive and the hd800 seems dull and boring (till now, I thought hd800 was very fast and live sound).

Next I've change to something with voice, a album from Rodrigo Leao, Cinema. This record has a tad of sibilance, but a lot of piano, other string instruments, and 4 or 5 different female voices. Here once again, the LCD shined, presenting natural voices, with some magic associated, but still a slight sibilance, much less than hd800, but that is good, if the sibilance is there, it should be audible. I never thought of lcd 2 with recessed highs.. overall tone, with less emphasis.

Then I've changed to other naim album, State of the union. This one has lot of piano, but a lot of percussion as well. So still doing a/b directly, that is, just putting one and other on my head. when the percussion started, this was a real WOW moment with LCD. a lot more punch, even the mid bass ones (don't know how to call it , the instrument) and it was the first time I've listen to a so real percussion at my house. (I've listen to it like this in big hi end systems worth 200.000 or more at meetings)  No way I could listen to same real thing with hd800 no matter what... it sounded more plain, without that leather trapping on the hand. By the way I do have bongos at my cousin house, we usually play it a lot, so I do have the real thing reference. At this time, I've just forgot the hd800 and listen only to the lcd. They sure aren't perfect, but they have something that makes them sound so natural and real.. for me that's more important than if it has a huge sound stage (always artificial with cans, no matter what) a lots of air, or if you can pinpoint the eyelash that is growing on the pianist... even that the lcd 2 does it better than hd800. IMO

edit: to be more clear with percussion, with many systems  I was always missing that real slam of it. one always tries to turn up the volume never managing that thing; slam, fast, dynamic, visceral sound. With hd800 and other systems, one gets so loud never reaching that ... that real thing. With LCD 2, with a modest amp, source, I could easily get that truth felling, that thing, same with piano notes, string... still to come other genders like electronics and big classical.  
[/size]

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #9,379 of 18,459
Your English does not hinder you from getting your points across at all.  Thanks for the excellent comparison.  I had similar feelings about the two cans when I had both together initially.  The LCD-2's certainly present a richer, more forward sound that seems to be more true to life.  Lucky you to have lived with a  Bosendorfer for five years! The LCD-2's does serve the extra octave of that instrument quite well indeed!.  There is a Tori Amos EP called, "God", that has two sweet little piano solos on them.  One in particular demonstrates the control of the low-end of the LCD-2's in capturing the depth of that end of the scale on her Bosendorfer grand.  The cut is, "All the Girls Hate Her".  Check it out of if you get a chance. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #9,381 of 18,459

Hello Head-fiers!

This is my first post since i am really new to this "audiophile" world, been reading alot on this forum.  Skylab has a lot to do with my recent purchases (Meier StepDance and Audeze LCD-2) :)

Anyway, I have no patience to be on the waiting list for the LCD2, so i bought my from ALO Audio with the 8 chain cable.  Since the LCD2 does not label L or R, and i dont have the stock cable (ALO Audio does not include stock cable with purchase of the LCD2) so my silly question is, does it matter which side of the LCD2 i connect the cable to cuz on all of my IEMs, they're labelled L & R? On the ALO 8 chain cable, there is a rubby indicator, but i dont know its purpose.

Sorry if my post does not make sense because i am under the weather and currently having a "medicine head"

Thank,

Cuki

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #9,382 of 18,459
The LCD-2 does label L-R and also it should be pretty obvious what's forward on the headset?

Quote:

Hello Head-fiers!

This is my first post since i am really new to this "audiophile" world, been reading alot on this forum.  Skylab has a lot to do with my recent purchases (Meier StepDance and Audeze LCD-2) :)

Anyway, I have no patience to be on the waiting list for the LCD2, so i bought my from ALO Audio with the 8 chain cable.  Since the LCD2 does not label L or R, and i dont have the stock cable (ALO Audio does not include stock cable with purchase of the LCD2) so my silly question is, does it matter which side of the LCD2 i connect the cable to cuz on all of my IEMs, they're labelled L & R? On the ALO 8 chain cable, there is a rubby indicator, but i dont know its purpose.

Sorry if my post does not make sense because i am under the weather and currently having a "medicine head"

Thank,

Cuki

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #9,384 of 18,459

Quote:
I think he might mean that the cable isn't labelled, so he doesn't know which end to plug into which cup.

red goes right otherwise he should call  ALO and he is also entitled to his stock cable Everyone sell aftermarket cable but includes what the headphone came in.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #9,385 of 18,459
The red dot indicates the right side.  The unmarked plug goes into the left side.  The LCD-2s from ALO do not come with a stock cable.  They are shipped that way from Audeze.  It is the way to go unless you're a fan of waiting and the stock cable sound.

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #9,386 of 18,459
I received the new cable today from Audeze. It is much better constructed, More flexible and weight is less. Too early for impressions but it is much easier to move around and the mesh is gone and the cable appears quiet. Will update after listening for a bit but I like it much better than the old one

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #9,387 of 18,459

Quote:
I received the new cable today from Audeze. It is much better constructed, More flexible and weight is less. Too early for impressions but it is much easier to move around and the mesh is gone and the cable appears quiet. Will update after listening for a bit but I like it much better than the old one

looking forward to that~

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #9,390 of 18,459

Both cable and connectors are different. Cable is thinner and not twinned. Gone are the nice black Neutrick jack. Mini XLR looks better though. It do address what we have complained about. But they still use heat tubing as cable cover which still make it rather stiff in one direction (remember it's not twinned). I still use the version from late 2010. Thicker cable must sound better u know
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back