Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Feb 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #9,226 of 18,459
I prefer the stock cable to the Twag I made up. The Twag is a little thin and the LCD-2 lose some warmth and body. Maybe a heavier gauge or the new V2 Twag as I have the original Twag. The copper that come with the LCD-2 sounds good though, well balanced to my ear. I run everything balanced unless into my fi.Q.

edit: well I tried the Twag again, but this time single ended with my Twag adapter to go from balanced to SE and I like the Twag fine this way. So why SE but not so much balanced? The braid of the cable? Not sure but I will experiment more. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #9,227 of 18,459
How about a picture of your new cable?

Quote:
Quote:
Thats great John glad your handy me I am not so good with doing stuff like that. I dont mind the stock especially since I am getting the new one. I also like the HE6 cable as it is light when the balanced neutrix is on the floor can hardly feel it . I will check out the cable when Samkar send it out next week as my mesh sheared so they are replacing the cable.

My pair seems to have come with the new cable -- it is rubberized/plastic all the way to the connectors. No mesh and no heatshrink. I don't find it too heavy and although it is a little bit microphonic if tapped in practice this happens rarely enough so that it doesn't bother me. It all seems very robust.

o

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #9,228 of 18,459
Speaking of cables I received my ALO chain mail cable (8') a few days ago and while its too early for me to comment on any differences one thing I can say up front is this cable sounds "louder" then the stock cable in that I previously found general listening volume position ranged from 12-3pm on the dial however with the ALO I noticed a lot of listening is now in the 11-2pm position.

Makes no sense to be as both cables measure virtually zero resistance using my multimeter however something is going on. Might even be this perceived difference is in fact some extra clarity/detail that the ALO is revealing.....dunno.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #9,229 of 18,459
I took a month long hiatus from my headphones to visit family in AZ, and when I came back I re-examined the ALO cable to see if it was worth it. Comparing it to the stock (which I had to butcher cause of that plastic mesh) I really couldn't tell a difference. AT FIRST. After a few days of acclimating again to the LCDs I could tell a difference, not a huge difference, but like the above poster said it gave some clarity and detail the stock didn't have.

I was pretty close to putting that cable up for sale on the forum.
confused_face%281%29.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #9,231 of 18,459
The weight of the phones can be offset by listening in a high backed seat. My listening spot is a stuffed leather loveseat. I put my head back and let the cushion support the weight. Otherwise I get a reminder from a herniated disc below the shoulder blades from an old trampoline injury.

Maybe they ought to add bone conduction to the collar bone to support the headphones and increase slam.
normal_smile%20.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #9,232 of 18,459

Quote:
I prefer the stock cable to the Twag I made up. The Twag is a little thin and the LCD-2 lose some warmth and body. Maybe a heavier gauge or the new V2 Twag as I have the original Twag. The copper that come with the LCD-2 sounds good though, well balanced to my ear. I run everything balanced unless into my fi.Q.

edit: well I tried the Twag again, but this time single ended with my Twag adapter to go from balanced to SE and I like the Twag fine this way. So why SE but not so much balanced? The braid of the cable? Not sure but I will experiment more. 

youre a busy busy man John.  With this going on + the 71b vs pb2, and life in general on the island. ahha thanks for everything you do and all the insight!

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #9,236 of 18,459
friday noon is included... jus call aduana, and the tax is 250 usd, 25%... F&$#, this is one of the problems of living in a third world country... 

Quote:
Quote:
Already in aduana, ETA tomorrow 9 am. ... It seams I'll have a busy weekend doing nothing but listen to all my collection... 50 hours of pure enjoyment.

Cheers

Lucky! our weekends over here are only 48 hours including the time we sleep.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9,238 of 18,459
So Portugal applys for third world country too with the 23% uh :p ?

Quote:
friday noon is included... jus call aduana, and the tax is 250 usd, 25%... F&$#, this is one of the problems of living in a third world country... 

Quote:
Quote:
Already in aduana, ETA tomorrow 9 am. ... It seams I'll have a busy weekend doing nothing but listen to all my collection... 50 hours of pure enjoyment.

Cheers

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #9,239 of 18,459
heheh, two and a half

Quote:
So Portugal applys for third world country too with the 23% uh :p ?

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #9,240 of 18,459

Quote:
^^^^^

I noticed pretty much the same thing with the Norse cable. It seemed louder  maybe cleaner too but I like light and since I did not like the weight I decided to stay stock for a while anyway

I just did a quick comparison of my stock cable to the Norse and in all honesty I barely notice the extra weight of my Norse cable. I have one of the newer stock cables with almost no microphonics (the Norse has less). It looks a lot less bulky than the ALO from what I've seen in pictures. The Norse is also more flexible than the stock. My Norse cable is only 6 ft and terminated with a 4 pin XLR. Maybe if I was seated funny, with a long cable and had it terminated with 2 3 pin XLR's I'd feel the same way.

The Norse cable is a definite step up for me audio wise, as my stock cable is single ended and I think my NFB10 only really shines when balanced (K70x balanced vs single ended is also a significant difference). And it looks awesome
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back