Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #9,031 of 18,459

Quote:
Red Jacket Mike, those are some seriously huge pads you got on your pair, probably another refresh of the design.
There has been some flawed pads that were got thin by time and had to be replaced (including mine).

How easy are the pads to replace... I wouldn't mind more even pads, or slightly bigger ones for that matter. Also, I notice compression on one pad more so than on another.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #9,033 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Red Jacket Mike, those are some seriously huge pads you got on your pair, probably another refresh of the design.
There has been some flawed pads that were got thin by time and had to be replaced (including mine).

How easy are the pads to replace... I wouldn't mind more even pads, or slightly bigger ones for that matter. Also, I notice compression on one pad more so than on another.

Well, it's fairly easy but you should be very cautious not to break the wood while disembedding the headband. Audeze sent an instructions with a video. 
They should send you new ones without cost.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #9,034 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, it's fairly easy but you should be very cautious not to break the wood while disembedding the headband. Audeze sent an instructions with a video. 
They should send you new ones without cost.

Thanks!

Well I would hate to take advantage of them (not saying you did) and the headphones are still comfy (and it doesn't mess the soundstage) so if it does not get worse with time I won't ask but if it does I am happy to know it is not so bad.

They already gave me a refund save shipping for a headphone cable they screwed up on and I salvaged which was really nice. They offered to send me a new one free of charge obviously but I fixed it myself and didn't want to wait the time so it was a good compromise in my mind.

For now I will save the new earpads for those who really need them.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #9,035 of 18,459
     Quote:
Nice pictures but unfortunately it would seem your WA6SE has golden tumours on top of it. You might want to take it to the doctor.

Yes, and they're heavy, too.  The large weight on the power supply transformer weighs 3 pounds.  Smaller ones are 1.5 pounds.  They don't do anything to improve the sound to my ears, but they noticeably reduce the hum from the transformers.  I can't hear it anyway with the Denons but with the open HD800s, I used to hear it sometimes between tracks.  No more.

Quote:

Yes, I thought they were larger than some I'd seen pictures of here; but they are fairly stiff, which I like, and quite comfortable. Lots thicker on the back sides, too. As I said earlier, I was quite surprised at the overall comfort level, after what I'd been reading.  

More listening--I'm enjoying Mark Knopfler's "Kill To Get Crimson", one of my favorite recordings.  It's never sounded better to me than on the LCD2s.  I wonder if the way these phones clamp and the thickness of the pads contributes to the great low end.  These seem to have the best balance of bass quantity and quality that I've heard.

I might be up late tonight.  

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #9,036 of 18,459

Quote:
EDIT: just realized the second half was not actually address to me haha.

heheh. It's okay. I didn't know you had the same match. You're still more than welcome at the LCD2/HD800 combo party.
beerchug.gif

edit:spelling!!!

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #9,037 of 18,459
I second that. The LCD-2's sound brilliant out of an SR-71B RSA. :)

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #9,039 of 18,459
I got my LCD-2's in the mail yesterday and out of curiosity today I decided to measure the impedance of the headphones. Turns out the right channel measures at ~43.2 Ohms and the left channel measures at ~47.8 Ohms...interesting. I haven't seemed to notice any channel level imbalances when listening so far, however.

Any thoughts?

Note: These measurements were taken with an Amprobe 5XP-A multimeter using the Silver Dragon V3 cable. With the stock cable I get measurements of ~42.8 Ohms for the right channel and ~47.4 Ohms for the left channel.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #9,040 of 18,459

Quote:
I got my LCD-2's in the mail yesterday and out of curiosity today I decided to measure the impedance of the headphones. Turns out the right channel measures at ~43.2 Ohms and the left channel measures at ~47.8 Ohms...interesting. I haven't seemed to notice any channel level imbalances when listening so far, however.

Any thoughts?

Note: These measurements were taken with an Amprobe 5XP-A multimeter using the Silver Dragon V3 cable. With the stock cable I get measurements of ~42.8 Ohms for the right channel and ~47.4 Ohms for the left channel.

They're supposed to be rated at 50 ohms, so on the WA6SE, they definitely should be plugged into the low impedance jack, right? I tried them briefly in the high impedance jack last night, and for a minute I thought I was getting more volume at 9 o'clock than from the same position on the low side; it seemed that there might have been more bass, too--but, later, after plugging them back into the low side, it seemed about the same to me, so it must have just been my ears at the time.

Somewhere I read what the impedance guidelines were for the Woo WA6SE, as far as what should be plugged in to the low or high side, but I can't seem to find those numbers anymore.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #9,041 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Any thoughts?

They're supposed to be rated at 50 ohms, so on the WA6SE, they definitely should be plugged into the low impedance jack, right? I tried them briefly in the high impedance jack last night, and for a minute I thought I was getting more volume at 9 o'clock than from the same position on the low side; it seemed that there might have been more bass, too--but, later, after plugging them back into the low side, it seemed about the same to me, so it must have just been my ears at the time.

Somewhere I read what the impedance guidelines were for the Woo WA6SE, as far as what should be plugged in to the low or high side, but I can't seem to find those numbers anymore.

apparently orthos do not need any dampening, so you can plug them into whichever output you like.

The higher Z one will most likely have more gain than the low Z other than that its the same. You are not degrading SQ in any way by choosing one or the other.

I would just put it in whichever jack  gave me the most useable control over the volume

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #9,042 of 18,459
Do you have a frequency response chart for your LCD-2? If those gigantic pads to anything in particular it might have shown up on there?

Quote:
Yes, I thought they were larger than some I'd seen pictures of here; but they are fairly stiff, which I like, and quite comfortable. Lots thicker on the back sides, too. As I said earlier, I was quite surprised at the overall comfort level, after what I'd been reading.    
More listening--I'm enjoying Mark Knopfler's "Kill To Get Crimson", one of my favorite recordings.  It's never sounded better to me than on the LCD2s.  I wonder if the way these phones clamp and the thickness of the pads contributes to the great low end.  These seem to have the best balance of bass quantity and quality that I've heard.

I might be up late tonight.  

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #9,043 of 18,459

Quote:
Do you have a frequency response chart for your LCD-2? If those gigantic pads to anything in particular it might have shown up on there?

Mine came from the same batch as Red Jacket Mike's. Here is a picture showing the pads and a copy of the FR graph.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #9,044 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes Dave 8 conductor is correct. Trevor will send me a 4 conductor in a few weeks to compare and then decide which I prefer and I will update these impressions

Well, I thought that the 8 conductor cable was pretty damn light.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #9,045 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Yes Dave 8 conductor is correct. Trevor will send me a 4 conductor in a few weeks to compare and then decide which I prefer and I will update these impressions

Well, I thought that the 8 conductor cable was pretty damn light.

It may be the one staying but may as well compare them and see what is best for my set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back