Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #8,851 of 18,459

Quote:
Just want to share how I squeeze best sound out of LCD2s

First, replace stock cable with whatever cable you prefer in my case I use Zeus cable.  This should not be an option but a must if you want LCD2s to shine.

Second, try several tubes or amps that give you best sound from LCD2s.  In my case ZDT with 12AX7S Mazda Silver Plate Triple Mica give the best result

Third, try several interconnect that sound best with the above.  For me JPS Aluminata RCA work very well.

Forth, try several AC cables to enchance the sound you got from the above.  In my case WW Gold Electra for DAC and JPS Aluminata for amp.

Needless to say the sound you hear is sum of your system not just headphone.  I still crave for more depth layering I heard when paring LCD2s with the M3.

However, I think my system already reach the limit.  Using very expensive cables probably less effective than adding a preamp.  I'll try adding Joule Electra LA-300ME preamp to see if I can achieve more layering dept.    May be I would need a whole new set of cables but if it can squeeze the last bits out of LCD2s it worth a try.

Or just use another amplifier. 

As good as the Zana Deux is, it's not an ideal pairing with the LCD2. Even a cheap-ish Gainclone sounds better than a Zana with the LCD2 which leads me to believe that this thing loves that extra headroom. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #8,852 of 18,459
Didn't you order the LCD-2 already around may last year? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Quote:
Big TKS! for that comparison. The AD2Ks are nice cans and works well with a good(neutral/linear) source and amp so would be fun to test the LCD-2s with the same setup.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I mean the ATs. Thats what I use now so would like to know how they compare to the LCD-2s?

Ok. Here goes. In brief:

I think the LCD2 is better in every way for pop/rock/hip-hop/techno etc. Despite the advantage my AD2000 has being paired with the Yamamoto HA-02 amp and the LCD2 conversely limited by it. The LCD2 is like having a sub woofer in one's head - a characteristic lot of headphone listeners are probably waiting for - and the highs on mainstream non-audiophile recordings are wonderfully handled. Where the LCD2 might fall behind in comparison to the AD2000 is mid-range bite, probably due to the AD2000s fastness in this range. Take Neil Young's lead guitar on many recordings for instance. Though I suspect an amp change would improve the LCD2 in this regard. Where the LCD2 really falls in my opinion is classical. Classical through the LCD2 is insipid, lifeless and uninspired. It just kind of plods along without feeling. While the LCD2 portrays instrument separation quite well, it doesn't necessarily nail a stable headstage. Small scale classical through the AD2000 was sublime, with excellent acoustic bass. The complex musical weaving and dodging of something like Mozart's or Beethoven's string quartets were perfectly captured IMO (even if the view was from the performer's lap). For large scale classical - even though again the headstage perspective was not ideal IMO, but some might like the conductor's point of view of the performance - the AD2000 did two things right over the LCD2. 1) It presented - or gave a hint at, or revealed - the real life-size scale of 30, 50, 80, performers on stage. Wonderfully fun! The LCD2 can't manage this with how bogged down it sounds. And 2) the AD2000 sounds more open, especially on the top end. This might actually be an aberration of the recording itself, but I prefer the AD2000's presentation all the same.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #8,853 of 18,459
Pardon me if someone's posted feedback already (feel free to point me to it, if so); has anyone tried the Aphrodite cu 29 (Robert) internal rewire of the LCD-2's? More pointedly has anyone been able to do a direct comparison with a stock wired version?  Please, I don't need any wirecentric rhetoric here - it's a simple question. He's using a solid-core OCC in place of the stranded internal wires.  I assume he won't mind my sharing the pics he sent along:

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #8,854 of 18,459

Quote:

As good as the Zana Deux is, it's not an ideal pairing with the LCD2. Even a cheap-ish Gainclone sounds better than a Zana with the LCD2 which leads me to believe that this thing loves that extra headroom. 

That's what I've been trying to tell you guys since DAY ONE.  I hope the Lyr will be a spectacular match for the LCD-2s.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #8,855 of 18,459
A very fine Litz (type 2) wire bundle may be better than solid core conductor.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #8,856 of 18,459

Quote:
I ordered around Nov 20th and I just got the payment request today. I guess you can expect yours soon.

That's 62 days (or 8 weeks and 6 days) - three days less than the last post for which I did the arithmetic (a wait of 65 days).

That which comes easily is seldom as savory as that which requires patience.

wink.gif

Mike

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8,857 of 18,459

Hi pachku,

Quote:
Ordered on 28/11, got the payment request today. Looks as if they are ramping up production, or got a batch finished. Cable is ready, amp(s) will be so shortly...
smile.gif

Wow!  That's only 54 days (7 weeks and 5 days)!   Woo-hoo!

And given that I pre-ordered mine the day after you did (November 29th), I might hear from them tomorrow (or Monday)! 
biggrin.gif

I just checked my In Box - not a sausage...

Mike

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #8,858 of 18,459

Quote:
On the version of the Karajan 62 recording I have (digital/flac) (I don't know if it is from the SACD version), I hear no muffled part around 3 minutes into the Presto. It's all crystal clear.
Strange.

Quote:
Wow. I didn't think there was such a thirst for AD2000 vs LCD2 comparisons. Please forgive my not having an uber-amp for the LCD2. 
frown.gif
It's still fun to compare and chat though!
smily_headphones1.gif
I was actually a bit shocked and taken aback I haven't liked large or small scale classical on the LCD2. I've had the LCD2 since September and gave it every chance to shine with classical. I really wanted to like it! 

Quote:
In the SACD of Karajan's Beethoven 9th, 4th movement, about 3 min in. It goes all quiet and then this light and high triangle comes in over the whole sound scape. (Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong about the instrument.) Even on my AD2000, that part just gave me chills; very life-like space, tone, timber. The tones stood out and hung in the air very naturally. Maybe hyper-naturally, but I liked it. With the LCD2 that part is like listening thru a curtain, like its pushed way way back on the stage.

I'm not certain it's the same, but my recording is of a 1963 performance, not '62.  At 3 minutes into the 4th movement there is a brief silence, but I also don't hear the high triangle that Wower mentions. The transition at that point is strings>horns>brief silence>strings (main theme of 4th movement)  Unless I am entirely deaf to that note, I hear no triangle at all.  Makes me wonder also if it's the same recording we're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-No-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B00029CX0E

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #8,859 of 18,459
Right... my recording also says '63, now that you mention it. But I think it's a '62 recording in the '63 beethoven cycle. Anyway, there is something in the background a few seconds after the 3 min, and if that's the triangle then that's really in the background.

Quote:
I'm not certain it's the same, but my recording is of a 1963 performance, not '62.  At 3 minutes into the 4th movement there is a brief silence, but I also don't hear the high triangle that Wower mentions. The transition at that point is strings>horns>brief silence>strings (main theme of 4th movement)  Unless I am entirely deaf to that note, I hear no triangle at all.  Makes me wonder also if it's the same recording we're talking about?

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #8,860 of 18,459

Quote:
I'm currently waiting to hear that mine are ready--I ordered on December 3.  Just curious if anyone who ordered in November or December has gotten theirs yet.  Perhaps they took a holiday break from assembly and shipping. 

Mine are due to ship today. I ordered in November. So looks like the queue is moving!

Quick question for those who have swapped cables round -- is there a basic, light-weight alternative that you've had good results with? I'm planning on building a sub cable should the stock one's ergonomics not suit, and wondering if there's a consensus (I know, this is headfi) on a decent alternative that won't break the bank.

thanks and best,

o

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #8,861 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Just want to share how I squeeze best sound out of LCD2s

First, replace stock cable with whatever cable you prefer in my case I use Zeus cable.  This should not be an option but a must if you want LCD2s to shine.

Second, try several tubes or amps that give you best sound from LCD2s.  In my case ZDT with 12AX7S Mazda Silver Plate Triple Mica give the best result

Third, try several interconnect that sound best with the above.  For me JPS Aluminata RCA work very well.

Forth, try several AC cables to enchance the sound you got from the above.  In my case WW Gold Electra for DAC and JPS Aluminata for amp.

Needless to say the sound you hear is sum of your system not just headphone.  I still crave for more depth layering I heard when paring LCD2s with the M3.

However, I think my system already reach the limit.  Using very expensive cables probably less effective than adding a preamp.  I'll try adding Joule Electra LA-300ME preamp to see if I can achieve more layering dept.    May be I would need a whole new set of cables but if it can squeeze the last bits out of LCD2s it worth a try.

ZDT is not ZD.  I connect LCD2s to ZDT speaker posts not headphone jack.   And yes speaker posts sound better than headphone jack. 

Lacking layering depth doesn't mean it weaks in other areas.  On the contrary, I add preamp 3 times more expensive than ZDT because I don't want to lose it's sound signature.  I only want more layering depth not better sound in other areas.

Smyth Realiser A8 with AIX Studio profile together with LCD2s and ZDT does sound really great.  

You really misunderstood why I add preamp. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #8,862 of 18,459
wower - I wonder if you are referring to the choral part of the 4th movement, which is track 5 on my SACD (still part of the 4th movement which otherwise begins at track 4).  At around 3:30 there is a choral crescendo that goes to brief silence and then muffled strings (I think cellos and bass) joined by muted horns and then a high triangle.  Is that the part you are referring to?

Quote:

Quote:
On the version of the Karajan 62 recording I have (digital/flac) (I don't know if it is from the SACD version), I hear no muffled part around 3 minutes into the Presto. It's all crystal clear.
Strange.

Quote:
Wow. I didn't think there was such a thirst for AD2000 vs LCD2 comparisons. Please forgive my not having an uber-amp for the LCD2. 
frown.gif
It's still fun to compare and chat though!
smily_headphones1.gif
I was actually a bit shocked and taken aback I haven't liked large or small scale classical on the LCD2. I've had the LCD2 since September and gave it every chance to shine with classical. I really wanted to like it! 

Quote:
In the SACD of Karajan's Beethoven 9th, 4th movement, about 3 min in. It goes all quiet and then this light and high triangle comes in over the whole sound scape. (Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong about the instrument.) Even on my AD2000, that part just gave me chills; very life-like space, tone, timber. The tones stood out and hung in the air very naturally. Maybe hyper-naturally, but I liked it. With the LCD2 that part is like listening thru a curtain, like its pushed way way back on the stage.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #8,864 of 18,459

Quote:
I have the '62 recording and there is no triangle at 3 min. into the 4th movement, and ditto for a Eugene Ormandy & Philadelphia Orchestra recording of the 9th.

It would seem the LCD's need to be sent back. Something is wrong if you hear triangles and there aren't any. . . or maybe . . . it's the doorbell. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #8,865 of 18,459

Quote:
Big TKS! for that comparison. The AD2Ks are nice cans and works well with a good(neutral/linear) source and amp so would be fun to test the LCD-2s with the same setup.

No prob. Your chain into the AD2000 from your sig is epic.
atsmile.gif

Quote:
wower - I wonder if you are referring to the choral part of the 4th movement, which is track 5 on my SACD (still part of the 4th movement which otherwise begins at track 4).  At around 3:30 there is a choral crescendo that goes to brief silence and then muffled strings (I think cellos and bass) joined by muted horns and then a high triangle.  Is that the part you are referring to?

Yup. That's the SACD I have and that's the part I was talking about but named incorrectly. Thanks for correcting me. I apologize for the confusion.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back