Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #8,836 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Headphones make by far the biggest difference anyways, everything else is secondary.

snip

was never advocating the LCD-2 was a portable headphone.... it certainly is not. Just saying if I had to compromise, I would sell everything else and keep my iPod and LCD-2 rather than downgrade (imo etc) to a lesser headphone.

Everything is important but the driver is by far the biggest issue and makes by far the biggest difference there is no argument here.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #8,837 of 18,459

Quote:
And with regards to the head-fier who said the iPod and LCD-2 only represent 30%, I would say they are grossly over exaggerating due to bias and not actual listening impressions :wink:.

I don't care how good your set up is. It does not offer twice the performance. :p

I suppose the referred headfier is me. I have to say I haven't been exaggerating in a least bit. I can barely stand the sound directly from an ipod to the LCD2 for 2 minutes (or most full sized headphones, in that case), and I do think my system sounds at least 3 times better than the ipod, with LCD2 (Well, we might have different scoring standard). IMHO, if one do really get 80% out of LCD2 from ipod compare to their home system (by my standard of course), then perhaps, no offence, I should say congratulations that I think he is in the third chapter of a really great novel, lots to be explored. 

I always think, when talking about highend audio, (that is to say , when the whole system reaches certain level, more often than not), the upstream is always much more important than the down stream, for the upstream is the root and foundation of the sound. And it might not be true, but in my mind a great system should always be, source > amp > speaker/headphone.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #8,838 of 18,459
The sound is so grainy out of an iPod I don't know how anyone could stand it for anything less than just listening to tunes walking around town making trouble. Cymbals sound like crashing metal cookie sheets. I mean, if you spend your money on an LCD2 one should be able to do what ever they want with it. Plugging them into an iPod is the least of my worries. Drop them out of a plane for all I care. Rock on.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #8,839 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
And with regards to the head-fier who said the iPod and LCD-2 only represent 30%, I would say they are grossly over exaggerating due to bias and not actual listening impressions :wink:.

I don't care how good your set up is. It does not offer twice the performance. :p

I suppose the referred headfier is me. I have to say I haven't been exaggerating in a least bit. I can barely stand the sound directly from an ipod to the LCD2 for 2 minutes (or most full sized headphones, in that case), and I do think my system sounds at least 3 times better than the ipod, with LCD2 (Well, we might have different scoring standard). IMHO, if one do really get 80% out of LCD2 from ipod compare to their home system (by my standard of course), then perhaps, no offence, I should say congratulations that I think he is in the third chapter of a really great novel, lots to be explored. 

I always think, when talking about highend audio, (that is to say , when the whole system reaches certain level, more often than not), the upstream is always much more important than the down stream, for the upstream is the root and foundation of the sound. And it might not be true, but in my mind a great system should always be, source > amp > speaker/headphone.

Just so we are clear I wasn't trying to be rude. Just poking fun. Glad you seem to have taken it the right way :wink:.

I agree the LCD-2 deserve a good high end system... the higher end your gear, the more it can ultimately achieve. I guess I am just arguing semantics though because while the LCD-2 is notably better properly amped, I still don't think it is 2x worse on an iPod though.

The more you are used to the very high end, obviously the worse other things are going to sound, because you have standards and expectations that cause people to overestimate differences in sound quality. I never use my LCD-2 from my iPod because I do not have to... but I would not be heart broken if I HAD to and would definitely recommend someone piece their system together around their headphone and getting the LCD-2 first, and then amp source later is not a bad idea considering the performance you can get out of an iPod.

Not its not the best, might not even be good to some... but it is not like trying to drive other high end headphones either which would be total fail.

By contrast to other headphones IMO the LCD-2 does OK -good even on an iPod for a truly high end phone.

I'd like to see you even try running those HE-6 out of an ipod :wink:

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #8,840 of 18,459
LCD2s are indeed much easier to drive than say T1, 800 and of course HE6. I really don't want to recall the experience of plugging my HE6 to the ipod
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #8,841 of 18,459
Just want to share how I squeeze best sound out of LCD2s

First, replace stock cable with whatever cable you prefer in my case I use Zeus cable.  This should not be an option but a must if you want LCD2s to shine.

Second, try several tubes or amps that give you best sound from LCD2s.  In my case ZDT with 12AX7S Mazda Silver Plate Triple Mica give the best result

Third, try several interconnect that sound best with the above.  For me JPS Aluminata RCA work very well.

Forth, try several AC cables to enchance the sound you got from the above.  In my case WW Gold Electra for DAC and JPS Aluminata for amp.

Needless to say the sound you hear is sum of your system not just headphone.  I still crave for more depth layering I heard when paring LCD2s with the M3.

However, I think my system already reach the limit.  Using very expensive cables probably less effective than adding a preamp.  I'll try adding Joule Electra LA-300ME preamp to see if I can achieve more layering dept.    May be I would need a whole new set of cables but if it can squeeze the last bits out of LCD2s it worth a try.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #8,842 of 18,459

Quote:
Just want to share how I squeeze best sound out of LCD2s

First, replace stock cable with whatever cable you prefer in my case I use Zeus cable.  This should not be an option but a must if you want LCD2s to shine.

Second, try several tubes or amps that give you best sound from LCD2s.  In my case ZDT with 12AX7S Mazda Silver Plate Triple Mica give the best result

Third, try several interconnect that sound best with the above.  For me JPS Aluminata RCA work very well.

Forth, try several AC cables to enchance the sound you got from the above.  In my case WW Gold Electra for DAC and JPS Aluminata for amp.

Needless to say the sound you hear is sum of your system not just headphone.  I still crave for more depth layering I heard when paring LCD2s with the M3.

However, I think my system already reach the limit.  Using very expensive cables probably less effective than adding a preamp.  I'll try adding Joule Electra LA-300ME preamp to see if I can achieve more layering dept.    May be I would need a whole new set of cables but if it can squeeze the last bits out of LCD2s it worth a try.

I'll have to look for one of those tubes for my ZDT, because with my Sylvania gold pin 5751 the LCD-2 sound too dark with my ZDT, and that is my brightest tube that's any good.  I much prefer listening to my LCD-2 with my WA6 using a pair of Sylvania VT-231 in adapters, and a Sophia Princess 274b rectifier.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #8,843 of 18,459
HeadphoneAddict for maximum sound stage and "brightness"  ECC803S is better than Mazda.  However, it sound "colder", less texture, and less bottom crunch.   Both are equally fast and rhythmic not Euphoric.  Mazda add meat to the bone that 803S lack but trade off those highs.  Because Mazda project bigger image sound stage feel a tad smaller.

Choose your poison :)

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #8,844 of 18,459
I dont know if its been mentioned here or not but Audeze seem to have increased the amount they charge for international postage.  I paid $52 for postage of my 1st pair of LCD-2 and now I have been sent the paypal link for my 2nd pair I see that they have increased it to $85 so for that reason I won't be buying a second pair.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #8,845 of 18,459
Checking the LCD-2 serial number/order/arrival info thread, it appears that no one who ordered in November or December has posted there as having received theirs yet.

I'm currently waiting to hear that mine are ready--I ordered on December 3.  Just curious if anyone who ordered in November or December has gotten theirs yet.  Perhaps they took a holiday break from assembly and shipping. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #8,846 of 18,459

Quote:
Checking the LCD-2 serial number/order/arrival info thread, it appears that no one who ordered in November or December has posted there as having received theirs yet.

I'm currently waiting to hear that mine are ready--I ordered on December 3.  Just curious if anyone who ordered in November or December has gotten theirs yet.  Perhaps they took a holiday break from assembly and shipping. 

I ordered around Nov 20th and I just got the payment request today. I guess you can expect yours soon.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #8,847 of 18,459
I pre-ordered on November 21 and just got the email to buy today .. so it is a full 2 months of waiting at this point. I am so glad I paid a substantial premium buying them from ALO with their cable. I'm not a firm believer in cables but I am a firm believer in time management .. and I have been enjoying these phones for a full 6-8 weeks that I otherwise would have missed out on (2 of those weeks including a stay-cation at home during which I had a ton of quality time with them .. as well as the new Burson 160D). To me it was worth the extra $500.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #8,848 of 18,459
Ordered on 28/11, got the payment request today. Looks as if they are ramping up production, or got a batch finished. Cable is ready, amp(s) will be so shortly...
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #8,849 of 18,459
Big TKS! for that comparison. The AD2Ks are nice cans and works well with a good(neutral/linear) source and amp so would be fun to test the LCD-2s with the same setup.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I mean the ATs. Thats what I use now so would like to know how they compare to the LCD-2s?

Ok. Here goes. In brief:

I think the LCD2 is better in every way for pop/rock/hip-hop/techno etc. Despite the advantage my AD2000 has being paired with the Yamamoto HA-02 amp and the LCD2 conversely limited by it. The LCD2 is like having a sub woofer in one's head - a characteristic lot of headphone listeners are probably waiting for - and the highs on mainstream non-audiophile recordings are wonderfully handled. Where the LCD2 might fall behind in comparison to the AD2000 is mid-range bite, probably due to the AD2000s fastness in this range. Take Neil Young's lead guitar on many recordings for instance. Though I suspect an amp change would improve the LCD2 in this regard. Where the LCD2 really falls in my opinion is classical. Classical through the LCD2 is insipid, lifeless and uninspired. It just kind of plods along without feeling. While the LCD2 portrays instrument separation quite well, it doesn't necessarily nail a stable headstage. Small scale classical through the AD2000 was sublime, with excellent acoustic bass. The complex musical weaving and dodging of something like Mozart's or Beethoven's string quartets were perfectly captured IMO (even if the view was from the performer's lap). For large scale classical - even though again the headstage perspective was not ideal IMO, but some might like the conductor's point of view of the performance - the AD2000 did two things right over the LCD2. 1) It presented - or gave a hint at, or revealed - the real life-size scale of 30, 50, 80, performers on stage. Wonderfully fun! The LCD2 can't manage this with how bogged down it sounds. And 2) the AD2000 sounds more open, especially on the top end. This might actually be an aberration of the recording itself, but I prefer the AD2000's presentation all the same.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #8,850 of 18,459
On the version of the Karajan 62 recording I have (digital/flac) (I don't know if it is from the SACD version), I hear no muffled part around 3 minutes into the Presto. It's all crystal clear.
Strange.

Quote:
Wow. I didn't think there was such a thirst for AD2000 vs LCD2 comparisons. Please forgive my not having an uber-amp for the LCD2. 
frown.gif
It's still fun to compare and chat though!
smily_headphones1.gif
I was actually a bit shocked and taken aback I haven't liked large or small scale classical on the LCD2. I've had the LCD2 since September and gave it every chance to shine with classical. I really wanted to like it! 

Quote:
Right now have I have Beethoven 9, by Vänskä, on through my LCD-2. To me it sounds lively, energetic, with a full, yet clear, and sparkly sound. It's a great recording to begin with, and the LCD-2 really brings out its greatness, IMHO. I thoroughly enjoy the performace. (With the possibility still open that with some other can that I have not yet heard, I might enjoy it even more.)

The LCD2 has so little congestion during complex passages and no grain on voices for opera, one would think it would be farther ahead, but it just seems plodding to me. What exactly is lacking is still a bit of a mystery to me. To remedy this, and hopefully even surpass the AD2000 for classical, because let's face it, the onstage perspective does not always suit the scale of an orchestra, I have a Stax system on its way to me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully this will solve some of the short comings I have with the AD2000 and classical music. Though I can imagine a scenario where I still prefer my AD2000/yammy combo for string quartets.

Here's what I had to say about Beethoven's 9th in a previous post in this thread:

Quote:
In the SACD of Karajan's Beethoven 9th, 4th movement, about 3 min in. It goes all quiet and then this light and high triangle comes in over the whole sound scape. (Someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong about the instrument.) Even on my AD2000, that part just gave me chills; very life-like space, tone, timber. The tones stood out and hung in the air very naturally. Maybe hyper-naturally, but I liked it. With the LCD2 that part is like listening thru a curtain, like its pushed way way back on the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back