Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 17, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #8,731 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Larry, can you say more about your thoughts on LCD-2 vs HP2? 
bigsmile_face.gif

I really don't have much more to add.  I do regret selling my HP-1000 and someday would like to get another pair.  I can't say the same about my K1000 that I sold to buy the LCD-2.  The last time I heard the HP2 (with SAA Equinox balanced cable) was this past summer and I didn't have the LCD-2 yet.  But I felt that my HE-5 LE were somewhat close to the HP-1000, although still a little behind in air, ambience and transparency.  With my WA6 amp and the right tubes, I like the LCD-2 about as much as my HE-5 LE on my ZDT amp. (I prefer the HE-6 and re-cabled HD800 more with that amp).  If I put the LCD-2 on the ZDT amp they become too dark for my tastes, but on a brighter amp they start to gel with me.  Nevertheless, if I had another HP-1000 come my way I'd consider selling my LCD-2 to buy it, but not my other phones.  However, with HP-1000 going for 2x the cost of an LCD-2 it's not likely I'd be able to easily fund the difference as we save up for kid's college now.

Cool, thanks.  I regret selling mine too.  They were cheaper than the LCD2 when I sold mine
frown.gif

Sounds like you prefer a bit more treble then I do, but we both really appreciate transparency and balance.

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #8,732 of 18,459
I recently tried two aftermarket cables for my LCD2, the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and the ALO Chain Mail cable.  With the stock cable, my main issues were that the highs seemed a bit recessed (not dark), dynamics and PRAT were just good but not great.  The Silver Dragon improved the soundstage size and brought images more forward in the mix.  However, I did not like how it lightened up the entire spectrum.  Not only were the highs brighter but the midrange and bass did not carry as much weight.  Yes I heard more detail information but it was at the expense of brighter highs, less midrange body and lighter bass.  Overall, I felt the SD made the LCD2 more fatiguing and I prefered the limitations of the stock cable that carried with it (sins of omission) versus what the SD bought to the table.  Switching to the ALO cable, bass and dynamics were much improved.  The highs were not as recessed vs stock, and the clarity and transparency were greatly improved.  The PRAT with the ALO cable seemed much better and I felt more involvement with the music vs stock or the SD.  Like the SD, I heard more information with the ALO but this time without any of the drawbacks that the SD brought with it.

As most of you know, system synergy and musical preferences weigh heavily on what we perceive to be an improvement.  In my system and for my taste, the ALO cable takes a very good LCD2 and makes it world class (IMO of course).

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #8,733 of 18,459
^ Great comparison, SteveM324, thanks for trying them out and reporting your findings, that is what makes Head-fi so valuable!

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #8,735 of 18,459
Your impressions of the ALO cable mirrors my first impressions of the Norse Audio cable (I have not tried the ALO cable though). However, I haven't done any A/B comparisons yet with the stock cable. I am still getting used to the sound, so that I will be able to hear differences (if any) when I switch back.

Quote:
I recently tried two aftermarket cables for my LCD2, the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and the ALO Chain Mail cable.  With the stock cable, my main issues were that the highs seemed a bit recessed (not dark), dynamics and PRAT were just good but not great.  The Silver Dragon improved the soundstage size and brought images more forward in the mix.  However, I did not like how it lightened up the entire spectrum.  Not only were the highs brighter but the midrange and bass did not carry as much weight.  Yes I heard more detail information but it was at the expense of brighter highs, less midrange body and lighter bass.  Overall, I felt the SD made the LCD2 more fatiguing and I prefered the limitations of the stock cable that carried with it (sins of omission) versus what the SD bought to the table.  Switching to the ALO cable, bass and dynamics were much improved.  The highs were not as recessed vs stock, and the clarity and transparency were greatly improved.  The PRAT with the ALO cable seemed much better and I felt more involvement with the music vs stock or the SD.  Like the SD, I heard more information with the ALO but this time without any of the drawbacks that the SD brought with it.

As most of you know, system synergy and musical preferences weigh heavily on what we perceive to be an improvement.  In my system and for my taste, the ALO cable takes a very good LCD2 and makes it world class (IMO of course).

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #8,736 of 18,459
It seems there are more and more after-market available and it makes me more confused...too bad we can't A/B cable easily as it is so difficult to get hold of them making it like a blind-buy... and the worst thing is that most of the cables are not cheap at all!

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #8,737 of 18,459
I received my LCD-2 on Friday, I almost felt sorry for the guys waiting 6 to 8 weeks for them, I posted a WTB thread few days ago on the forum, 2 hours later a gentleman from Japan contacted me saying he had a pair he was willing to sell, 3 days later they were on my doorstep and they are mint, not sure if it was pure luck but I'm extremely happy.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the world of headphones and live in a place where it's impossible to try any of the high-end stuff, so I had no choice but to follow advice from my fellow headhifier, the conclusion was I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-800 that I didn't liked, my idea was because it was more expensive it would necessarily be better, as I mentioned in another thread when I buy any "expensive" piece of electronic there's always what I like to call the honeymoon period, where everything is fine and awesome but in that case I'm not afraid to say I disliked them from the beginning. I found the sound to be aggressive, almost painful to me ears, I later learn that the treble was a problem for a few people and was recommended to try the LCD-2.

All I can say is for the time being is I really enjoy them, I find the sound to be much more neutral and pleasing o my ears, I clearly regret the comfort of the HD-800, while the LCD-2 are not that bad I really dislike the leather pads, they make my ears hot/sweaty after a while, but overall I thought they looked very uncomfortable but they turned out to be Ok.

I listen to them using my beyerdynamic A1 , but today I received my meier concerto+stagedac so I'm looking forward to try this combo, if there's any interest I'll write a mini review.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #8,738 of 18,459

Quote:
Your impressions of the ALO cable mirrors my first impressions of the Norse Audio cable (I have not tried the ALO cable though). However, I haven't done any A/B comparisons yet with the stock cable. I am still getting used to the sound, so that I will be able to hear differences (if any) when I switch back.

Quote:

Interested in you comparison to the stock. I have the Norse in here for the mini meet so we will see if anyone else can detect any differences. I am finding it hard to say there is any improvement except for the outstanding build. Like I said cable sometimes are hard when both are OCC copper. On the interconnect dept I hear a major difference in Kimber PBJ and Audioquest Black Mamba with the PBJ being very grainy thus I sold them and ordered another Black Mamba with the Norse detection is not as apparent.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #8,739 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Following on from my previous post #8614: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/8610#post_7195843

The critical listening I've been doing between LCD-2/GS-X and OII MKI/BHSE has resulted in lowering my opinion of the LCD-2. I still maintain that the LCD-2 is a very good headphone but I'm finding many aspects in which the OII is simply better.

The scope of my notes has since expanded beyond what I was originally going to do, which was a comparison micro-review, and I've decided to turn it into a "mini-review" of the LCD-2 instead - which will include comparisons against my other balanced dynamic headphones (Audio-Technica AD2000, Grado HP1000/HP2, & Sony Qualia 010). I foresee this mini-review not really going well for the LCD-2 unfortunately.

I agree that the O2 Mk1 are better than the LCD-2.  Of all your headphones, the O2 and HP-1000 would be my favorites.  With the right amp the LCD-2 remind me of the O2 Mk1, but they're missing the delicacy and finesse of the O2, and I think the LCD-2 are still a little darker and more recessed in the mids and treble.  The LCD-2 are also not nearly as comfortable as the O2.  The HP-1000 sound nothing like the others, but I think they have great transparency and better balance vs the LCD-2 (the most transparent Grado I've heard).  With my ZDT amp I tend to think my re-cabled HD800 beat the LCD-2 as well.  I do like the LCD-2, but due to discomfort I don't use them much.

Thanks for that! I was not far from ordering the LCD-2 but can wait and maybe I get an opportunity to listen first. I believe that it is a very good headphone, but Head-Fi threads often create enthusiasm for the new and forget the excellent products of of past years, and I already have some. I am especially worried about the discomfort of LCD-2 as I had some thought to use it mostly for relaxed listening. Do they really become more comfortable with use or is it more about habituation to the discomfort?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #8,741 of 18,459
Hey Frank. IME, it takes a quiet environment, concentration, and most importantly, *time* to discern differences between cables because of their subtle nature. Meets are hardly the place to make comparisons for something like this and I believe some of the differences may go unnoticed that would otherwise be revealed over long-term ownership.
In any case, I'm looking forward to your evaluation.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #8,742 of 18,459

Quote:
Hey Frank. IME, it takes a quiet environment, concentration, and most importantly, *time* to discern differences between cables because of their subtle nature. Meets are hardly the place to make comparisons for something like this and I believe some of the differences may go unnoticed that would otherwise be revealed over long-term ownership.

Well then its easy since I have had and listened to them and really cannot tell any differences. I will give them one more run but IMO they bought sound the same sonically. The differences I mentioned are that the Norse is better built than stock but sonically I have heard no differences and they are bulkier than stock. But I will give it one more shot.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #8,743 of 18,459
Well you sure did get lucky! I was trying to buy a pair for a month then found a guy from the UK and it took 3 weeks for shipping when it should have been 5-7 days! I'd be interested in what you think of them compared to the hd800's

Quote:
I received my LCD-2 on Friday, I almost felt sorry for the guys waiting 6 to 8 weeks for them, I posted a WTB thread few days ago on the forum, 2 hours later a gentleman from Japan contacted me saying he had a pair he was willing to sell, 3 days later they were on my doorstep and they are mint, not sure if it was pure luck but I'm extremely happy.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the world of headphones and live in a place where it's impossible to try any of the high-end stuff, so I had no choice but to follow advice from my fellow headhifier, the conclusion was I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-800 that I didn't liked, my idea was because it was more expensive it would necessarily be better, as I mentioned in another thread when I buy any "expensive" piece of electronic there's always what I like to call the honeymoon period, where everything is fine and awesome but in that case I'm not afraid to say I disliked them from the beginning. I found the sound to be aggressive, almost painful to me ears, I later learn that the treble was a problem for a few people and was recommended to try the LCD-2.

All I can say is for the time being is I really enjoy them, I find the sound to be much more neutral and pleasing o my ears, I clearly regret the comfort of the HD-800, while the LCD-2 are not that bad I really dislike the leather pads, they make my ears hot/sweaty after a while, but overall I thought they looked very uncomfortable but they turned out to be Ok.

I listen to them using my beyerdynamic A1 , but today I received my meier concerto+stagedac so I'm looking forward to try this combo, if there's any interest I'll write a mini review.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #8,744 of 18,459

Quote:
[snip]

Please do!!

I’m interested to know the differences between the A1 and the concerto/stageDAC...

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #8,745 of 18,459

Quote:

I'd agree here with Shahrose.  Judging any component, to really get a sense of what it is capable of, requires living with it for a while IMO.  I've made initial judgments at meets, shows, other peoples homes, etc. that have turned out to morph considerably upon long-term listening. 

That said, I'll chime in a few words on Trevor's Norse Cables.  As has been pointed out in both words and pictures here already, their build quality and design is excellent, and certainly nicer than the more utilitarian stock cable.  Trevor's done a great job in that respect. Also as has been said, the microphonic issues of the early stock sheathing, and later with the stiffer stock Canare apparently, is entirely absent in the Norse cable, which is a big relief because that was really annoying to me (every time I'd turn my head I'd get the sound of that sheathing against my clothing).  I have the 8-strand version of the Norse and have not found it overly heavy or awkward myself.  I initially went from the stock to the Norse and could hear no differences on my WA6SEm (I tried again later with many more hours on the cables and had much the same results).  I've now lived with the cables for about three weeks, and happen to have the Apex Peak Volcano loaner here, which renders a very different performance from the LCD-2's than the Woo (more on that in my comments to come as I've committed to review the APV as part of the loaner program**).  With the APV, which is overall a more revealing amp on the Audeze, I swapped back and forth with my stock cables (pre-Canare version).  Here I could definitely hear a positive difference favoring the Norse cables. Though I'd call it subtle I am confident I could pick them out from each other without a problem.  Here the Norse seemed to give everything a bit more air and clarity...kind of like wiping a very thin fog that you hardly noticed from a window.  I did not necessarily hear boosts in any part of the frequency spectrum as others have reported hearing, but overall clarity througout the range is definitely improved.  For me it's a very nice difference that does lend to my enjoyment of the headphones.  Is it profound enough to be worth the cost of admission?  That's really for your to decide and I think Trevor is offering a return option if I'm not mistaken.  For me it definitely is, and weighed against the cost of the competition, even just in removing the cable microphonic issues it was a worthwhile investment.  Not to mention it looks mighty bitchin'!  As far as what it can do in comparison to that competition, I have no way of saying. 

**A footnote on the Apex Peak loaner program - Anyone in the Seattle area who is interested in taking part of this program can get in touch with Todd and with me.  If Todd approves your participation I would just need that approval to pass the amp over directly and would be willing to split the subsequent shipping cost (abour $45-55 I'd guess from previous participants experiences) to move the amp to the next location.  Again, this is entirely subject to Todd's approval of you as a participant and he has otherwise agreed to let me solicit another local participant this way.  I'm posting this here because I'd highly recommend the amp to LCD-2 users.  More on that when I have time to put together my thoughts in a more complete post.  For now, I'd put it on a short list of great amps for the Audeze. Unfortunately the LCD-2's are my only cans at this time - I'd love to hear what others sound like with this amp.  If we can get more than one participant in this region, the shipping goes down even further and perhaps Todd would agree to allow whoever had it at the time to bring it to the upcoming meet on Bainbridge!  Just a thought.  I'll post the same to that thread as well.  Ping me if you are interested, and shoot an email to Todd to get his blessings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back