Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #8,703 of 18,459

Quote:
This may be a stupid question:

What are microphonics? I dont get it.

microphonics is extraneous sound produced by vibration of audio components.  Classically a problem with vaccum tubes, but also can be produced by the ambient sound as well.  The gist is that vibration can cause small changes in the physical distance between conductive components, causing them to act as a microphone would.  This would produce electical signal rendered as sound which is not part of the recording.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #8,705 of 18,459

In this case I've interpreted it as mechanical noise when the cable is moved or as the case with the new version, when the cable is tapped.

Quote:
Quote:
This may be a stupid question:

What are microphonics? I dont get it.

microphonics is extraneous sound produced by vibration of audio components.  Classically a problem with vaccum tubes, but also can be produced by the ambient sound as well.  The gist is that vibration can cause small changes in the physical distance between conductive components, causing them to act as a microphone would.  This would produce electical signal rendered as sound which is not part of the recording.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #8,706 of 18,459
I've tried both the old and new stock LCD-2 cables as I am on my second pair of LCD-2s. The new cable is the same as the old, a relatively heavy speaker cable with improved connectors and less microphonics due to the elimination of techflex above the "Y". But the cable is still quite stiff; I much prefer the lighter-weight and much more flexible DHC Molecule (OCC) , coated with their recommended soft black nylon which has no microphonics at all. Plus it sounds much better on my amp, but that could also be because it is balanced.

I have no affiliation with Double Helix, I am just very satisfied with the three cables I have of theirs (LCD-2, HD600, HD800).

Starting at: $160.00 ($210 with LCD-2 connectors)

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #8,707 of 18,459
For anyone who is interesting in a cheap, and sonically equivalent alternative to after market cables you should just do as I did.

Strip the rubber out coating, ditch the techflex/fabric, and take out all the cloth dampening on the inside. It is free, takes 5 mins. Not reversable, but if you don't like it you can just buy an aftermarket cable as you are not happy with the stock cable if you are doing this anyways.

As per the sound, it has a MUCH better soundstage once the rubber coating is removed. This allows the music to "breath" as music hates being trapped inside rubber. Also, music is allergic to the fabric dampening cloth on the inside, so the sound is less congested and clearer once you remove this. The sound is a touch brighter, most likely because the cable is now, white, pink, red, and white. Before it was black and that is why the LCD-2 were dark.

For those extreme modders, leave your cable outside overnight in the cold Canadian winters to cryogenically treat the cable. The sound is now much quicker as it does not want to disappoint me and be subject to more extreme temperatures.

AS you can see the stock cable, with a little know how and TLC, is very much the only cable you would ever need.

I too have both the old and new stock cables, and the new ones are better due to no more techflex, bu they are still just as heavy.

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #8,708 of 18,459

Quote:
For anyone who is interesting in a cheap, and sonically equivalent alternative to after market cables you should just do as I did.

Strip the rubber out coating, ditch the techflex/fabric, and take out all the cloth dampening on the inside. It is free, takes 5 mins. Not reversable, but if you don't like it you can just buy an aftermarket cable as you are not happy with the stock cable if you are doing this anyways.

As per the sound, it has a MUCH better soundstage once the rubber coating is removed. This allows the music to "breath" as music hates being trapped inside rubber. Also, music is allergic to the fabric dampening cloth on the inside, so the sound is less congested and clearer once you remove this. The sound is a touch brighter, most likely because the cable is now, white, pink, red, and white. Before it was black and that is why the LCD-2 were dark.

For those extreme modders, leave your cable outside overnight in the cold Canadian winters to cryogenically treat the cable. The sound is now much quicker as it does not want to disappoint me and be subject to more extreme temperatures.

AS you can see the stock cable, with a little know how and TLC, is very much the only cable you would ever need.

I too have both the old and new stock cables, and the new ones are better due to no more techflex, bu they are still just as heavy.

Classic.

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #8,709 of 18,459
Haha you think it's cold in Montreal, it's 38 degrees (f) colder where I am at right now (28 below). That's 60 degrees below freezing. If you are in relatively balmy Montreal (10 above), send your cables up to me with a SASE for free cryo treatment! Now where is that damn weatherstripping, I can still see a crack of daylight through that doorjam. Kinda wish I was in the tropics at the moment...

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #8,710 of 18,459
Hey there all - I got my LCD2s last night (from ALO, with their cable, balanced termination). I am running it from my WA22nwith. W4S DAC2 as a source (balanced into the amp).

My first impression was that they were very dark, and very punchy (compared to my T1s) - gutsy, if you will. I've only got about 6 hours on them, but I was finding them to be overly bassy. I did some tube rolling -primarily swapping out my Treasures for a set of Ken-Rad VT231, and the sound has evened out VERY nicely.

I guess this makes sense, since I found the prior tube combo (with the Treasures) gave the T1s a bit of bass boost that I felt they needed. I don't think the LCD2s NEED such a boost - so rolling back a bit levels them out.

I did some A/Bing with the T1s as well - I'm surprised just how very different they each sound. They just have a totally different character.

More feed back to come when i get more hours on them! 

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #8,711 of 18,459
I have one of the "new" cables withthe heatshrink ends and they have been driving me crazy in terms of microphonics and stiffness so pulled the pin on an ALO cable last night. Looking forward to hearing if I detect any differences. Was never really a cable believer until I got a Double Helix Cable for my Sen 800's which somehow magically removed all traces of hardness and silibance I previously had issues with.

If the ALO offers the same level of improvement in the LCD2's then I will be a very happy camper...

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #8,713 of 18,459
Following on from my previous post #8614: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/8610#post_7195843

The critical listening I've been doing between LCD-2/GS-X and OII MKI/BHSE has resulted in lowering my opinion of the LCD-2. I still maintain that the LCD-2 is a very good headphone but I'm finding many aspects in which the OII is simply better.

The scope of my notes has since expanded beyond what I was originally going to do, which was a comparison micro-review, and I've decided to turn it into a "mini-review" of the LCD-2 instead - which will include comparisons against my other balanced dynamic headphones (Audio-Technica AD2000, Grado HP1000/HP2, & Sony Qualia 010). I foresee this mini-review not really going well for the LCD-2 unfortunately.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #8,715 of 18,459

Quote:
Following on from my previous post #8614: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/8610#post_7195843

The critical listening I've been doing between LCD-2/GS-X and OII MKI/BHSE has resulted in lowering my opinion of the LCD-2. I still maintain that the LCD-2 is a very good headphone but I'm finding many aspects in which the OII is simply better.

The scope of my notes has since expanded beyond what I was originally going to do, which was a comparison micro-review, and I've decided to turn it into a "mini-review" of the LCD-2 instead - which will include comparisons against my other balanced dynamic headphones (Audio-Technica AD2000, Grado HP1000/HP2, & Sony Qualia 010). I foresee this mini-review not really going well for the LCD-2 unfortunately.

Even compared to your dynamics?  I am looking forward to your thoughts vs. the HP2
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back