Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #8,462 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
^ I'd need to spend some more time with them but I suspect that the LCD-2's treble presentation is "shelved down". I did find the T1 to be brighter than I expected and more so than the HD800. However, these are only preliminary impressions formed under meet conditions. What I can say is that the LCD-2 and the HD800 were the two headphones that piqued my interest the most.  

Glad to read you to to try both. Too bad it was only a meet, but better than nothing!

As a fellow drummer, I am interested to see what you think of the LCD-2 in your own system with a beefy amp. To me these things are the closest to being behind my kit in terms of tonal accuracy... and the drum kit spans almost all the FR with holes depending on your kit... so like the piano... if drums sound good on a headphone, anything will (or should at any rate).

After listening almost exclusively to the HD 800 for the past two weeks I have only rekindled my love affair with the LCD-2. The HD 800 were much better than I had anticipate... MUCH especially in the bass department... very refreshing to hear such a capable dynamic... but the LCD-2 is just pure magic in terms of how it can produce such real, beautiful music.

I still have much respect for the HD 800 and think it sounds great.... super comfy and as far as a all round "go to" headphone I would probably chose the HD 800 due to comfort and the soundstage... but to kick back after a hard day of work and or studying.. the LCD-2 are what I "need".

Throughout my "career" the LCD-2 are the only headphone that have continued to "wow" me just about every time I put them on. Whereas the wow factor slowly dies with most headphones, I still think these are the diamond in the rough, despite their weight issues among others.

Classic rock is absolutely "to die for" via the MAD Ear+ HD...

Interesting to hear you like them with the Ear+ HD as that's the amp I own and have been contemplating buying the LCD-2. I've heard a couple others say they liked the pair too, but not as much as pairing them with a Concerto. A head-fier who works at 32 Ohm told me that the LCD-2 needs 1 - 1.5 watts per channel to sound their best through musical peaks, whereas the Ear+ only puts out .1 watt or a 1/10 of a watt. This seems to explain why so many people like them paired with the Concerto which is a very powerful amp. I'm just going to have to try to get my brother to part with his new LCD-2 for an hour to hear them paired with my Ear+ myself. I really love the LCD-2. It's my favorite sounding headphones thus far, but I can't afford another amp to pair with them so have been trying to put it out of mind, for now anyway.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #8,463 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
^ I'd need to spend some more time with them but I suspect that the LCD-2's treble presentation is "shelved down". I did find the T1 to be brighter than I expected and more so than the HD800. However, these are only preliminary impressions formed under meet conditions. What I can say is that the LCD-2 and the HD800 were the two headphones that piqued my interest the most.  

Glad to read you to to try both. Too bad it was only a meet, but better than nothing!

As a fellow drummer, I am interested to see what you think of the LCD-2 in your own system with a beefy amp. To me these things are the closest to being behind my kit in terms of tonal accuracy... and the drum kit spans almost all the FR with holes depending on your kit... so like the piano... if drums sound good on a headphone, anything will (or should at any rate).

After listening almost exclusively to the HD 800 for the past two weeks I have only rekindled my love affair with the LCD-2. The HD 800 were much better than I had anticipate... MUCH especially in the bass department... very refreshing to hear such a capable dynamic... but the LCD-2 is just pure magic in terms of how it can produce such real, beautiful music.

I still have much respect for the HD 800 and think it sounds great.... super comfy and as far as a all round "go to" headphone I would probably chose the HD 800 due to comfort and the soundstage... but to kick back after a hard day of work and or studying.. the LCD-2 are what I "need".

Throughout my "career" the LCD-2 are the only headphone that have continued to "wow" me just about every time I put them on. Whereas the wow factor slowly dies with most headphones, I still think these are the diamond in the rough, despite their weight issues among others.

Classic rock is absolutely "to die for" via the MAD Ear+ HD...

Interesting to hear you like them with the Ear+ HD as that's the amp I own and have been contemplating buying the LCD-2. I've heard a couple others say they liked the pair too, but not as much as pairing them with a Concerto. A head-fier who works at 32 Ohm told me that the LCD-2 needs 1 - 1.5 watts per channel to sound their best through musical peaks, whereas the Ear+ only puts out .1 watt or a 1/10 of a watt. This seems to explain why so many people like them paired with the Concerto which is a very powerful amp. I'm just going to have to try to get my brother to part with his new LCD-2 for an hour to hear them paired with my Ear+ myself. I really love the LCD-2. It's my favorite sounding headphones thus far, but I can't afford another amp to pair with them so have been trying to put it out of mind, for now anyway.

Actually with the proper tube (like Genalex 12AX7) the pairing can sound very good. While I slightly prefer my Concerto, the MAD Ear+HD works amazingly well with them, so I totally agree with Alex (sokolov).

I do have a WA2 incoming in a few weeks, so we shall see how it stacks up next to my MAD Ear+HD and Concerto. I'm thinking (and hoping) it'll be my favourite with the LCD-2s.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #8,464 of 18,459

Quote:
Actually with the proper tube (like Genalex 12AX7) the pairing can sound very good. While I slightly prefer my Concerto, the MAD Ear+HD works amazingly well with them, so I totally agree with Alex (sokolov).

I do have a WA2 incoming in a few weeks, so we shall see how it stacks up next to my MAD Ear+HD and Concerto. I'm thinking (and hoping) it'll be my favourite with the LCD-2s.

Hey MacedonianHero. Yeah, I remember you told me the pairing sounded good. What threw me a little was when I talked to the guy at 32 Ohm. He said he used to design headphones and sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about, although to me he was speaking a foreign language.

Does anyone know more about the watt thing? He said that in order to push the LCD-2 through musical peaks while sounding their best they would need an amp that puts out 1 - 1.5 watts per channel.

Anyway, I finally got to test them out with my Ear+ for only one song, although a 19 minute song, and they sounded much better than anticipated. But it was only one song. Then my brother took them away.
deadhorse.gif

Oh, it looks like he's going to do some a/bing with me now. Good bro!!!

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #8,465 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

Hey MacedonianHero. Yeah, I remember you told me the pairing sounded good. What threw me a little was when I talked to the guy at 32 Ohm. He said he used to design headphones and sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about, although to me he was speaking a foreign language.

Does anyone know more about the watt thing? He said that in order to push the LCD-2 through musical peaks while sounding their best they would need an amp that puts out 1 - 1.5 watts per channel.

Anyway, I finally got to test them out with my Ear+ for only one song, although a 19 minute song, and they sounded much better than anticipated. But it was only one song. Then my brother took them away.
deadhorse.gif

Oh, it looks like he's going to do some a/bing with me now. Good bro!!!

As they say...if it sounds good, it is good. If it measures good and sounds bad, then it's bad.

Now go get your cans back from your brother.
smile.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #8,466 of 18,459

Quote:

As they say...if it sounds good, it is good. If it measures good and sounds bad, then it's bad.

smile.gif

Oh it's good. We just went through several songs, from jazz to pop to progressive rock and the pairing was much, much better than anticipated. I certainly didn't hear any problems at all. And one thing that was immediately apparent was that the mid range is more up front with the MAD than with the Concerto. This was totally unexpected in a good way. Going back to my other headphones after that just made me realize that I now must have the LCD-2. This is what I was afraid of.
L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #8,467 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif

Oh it's good. We just went through several songs, from jazz to pop to progressive rock and the pairing was much, much better than anticipated. I certainly didn't hear any problems at all. And one thing that was immediately apparent was that the mid range is more up front with the MAD than with the Concerto. This was totally unexpected in a good way. Going back to my other headphones after that just made me realize that I now must have the LCD-2. This is what I was afraid of.
L3000.gif

I said a long time ago that minors shouldn't hear this stuff. Now you'll be selling body valuables for gear.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #8,468 of 18,459

Quote:
I ordered my 2nd pair on the 23rd of November and I still have not been sent the link to pay so I think they took a long christmas break or something.

I put my name on the order list on the 5th of November 2010, got the confirmation email from them about it straight away and still haven't heard anything.

Wonder how long the wait is at the moment.

Can anyone else provide some input? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #8,469 of 18,459

Wulvy,

Quote:
[snip]

I put my name on the order list on the 5th of November 2010, got the confirmation email from them about it straight away and still haven't heard anything.

You've provided more information regarding the current wait period than I've been able to glean from any other source: 

The "wait" is at least 65 days (9.3 weeks), going by your experience. 

I'm at day 41 of 65+, having pre-ordered on November 29th. 

Equipped with the data you've provided, I'm going to set the timer on my cryogenic suspension chamber to wake me up in 24 days.

Nite-nite!

Mike

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #8,470 of 18,459

Quote:

Wulvy,

Quote:
[snip]

You've provided more information regarding the current wait period than I've been able to glean from any other source: 

The "wait" is at least 65 days (9.3 weeks), going by your experience. 

I'm at day 41 of 65+, having pre-ordered on November 29th. 

Equipped with the data you've provided, I'm going to set the timer on my cryogenic suspension chamber to wake me up in 24 days.

Nite-nite!

Mike

No worries, surely the wait is variable though. Wish someone would provide me with an expectation window.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #8,471 of 18,459
When I ordered mine, I got an email that they were hoping to get the wait time to around 3 weeks. I have a feeling business has picked up and due to this, delivery slowed. It appears that they can only make a limited quantity. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #8,472 of 18,459
I think Wulvey will have a notice to pay by the end of this month, now there's an expectation window.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #8,473 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smile.gif

L3000.gif

I said a long time ago that minors shouldn't hear this stuff. Now you'll be selling body valuables for gear.

Amen to that, I got my first taste of Hi-Fi Headphones at 32Ohm with the LCD-2's and it sucked me in. I ultimately went with the HE-6 and am trying to resist selling a kidney to upgrade my amp to the Mini Torii. Darn you High-School with your low income!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #8,475 of 18,459

Quote:
you're in high school and you have an HE6?  Wowzers you should sell it and buy some beer for your friends or take some girls out to eat.  Or maybe that's what I should do...

Pft, put on some Dre's and the Hoes take YOU out to eat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back