Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jan 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #8,431 of 18,459
I liked the darker wood tint better too. But the first version LCD-2 had cable entry going downwards, instead of slightly forwards. Also, although the firs version grilles looked nice, they did have that "dot" in the middle with the R and L marks.

Quote:
http://www.headfonia.com/audeze-lcd-2-trio/

is it possible to ask know for the older version ? i find especially the wood was more attractive and the grill too (is it really weak?, i mean even if i take care of it like a baby?)

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #8,432 of 18,459

Quote:

is it possible to ask know for the older version ? i find especially the wood was more attractive and the grill too (is it really weak?, i mean even if i take care of it like a baby?)

I have compared mine (it's the latest batch, I got it on the 24th last month) with one of the supposedly newer one in that review and heck, it's slightly different. The wood is darker like the earliest revision, the L and R blocks come pre-installed with the aluminium as discussed here and the fit is noticeably more comfortable. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8,433 of 18,459
I filled out the pre-order form on Audeze's web site and submitted it several weeks ago, but I never received a confirmation e-mail - should I have received word from them that I'm on the waiting list?

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #8,434 of 18,459

Yes you should.  Here's the confirmation I got almost immediately.

Thank you for your interest in the LCD-2. We have recieved your email about the pre-order. If there are any specific questions in the email, we will email you as soon as possible.

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions.
http://www.audeze.com/2010/07/faqs/

Thank you,

Audez'e Inc

Quote:
I filled out the pre-order form on Audeze's web site and submitted it several weeks ago, but I never received a confirmation e-mail - should I have received word from them that I'm on the waiting list?

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8,437 of 18,459

Quote:
I liked the darker wood tint better too. But the first version LCD-2 had cable entry going downwards, instead of slightly forwards. Also, although the firs version grilles looked nice, they did have that "dot" in the middle with the R and L marks.

Quote:

ok the more forward entry alone should make me want the new batch
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #8,438 of 18,459
It should. It's the only change they made that's really making a difference, IMHO, although there must be some reason also for the other tweaks.

By the way, how come the LCD-2 is now in the high-end forum all of a sudden?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

ok the more forward entry alone should make me want the new batch
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #8,440 of 18,459
What a revolting situation. Lets revolt against the disparage of other high end phones. Will there be a slow muffled rise of those so disrespected? A rise to the front, . . . . . . rise. . . . . revolt . . ?      

I wonder that phones Homer Simpson uses? Two bear cans and string? 

To be honest, I have wondered the same. Why wouldn't these other top tier phones be here. Doesn't make sense to me. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #8,442 of 18,459
From what I've gathered some mod attempted to move the stax thread back to headphones then a bunch of members got all pissy thus said mod moved the HE-6 and LCD-2 threads to the high end. 

Quote:

By the way, how come the LCD-2 is now in the high-end forum all of a sudden?

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #8,443 of 18,459

Quote:
I listened to the LCD-2 today at a local meet and was impressed. Completely non-fatiguing, with a meaty mid-range and powerful bass presence. I can understand the descriptions of it being a "dark" phone and compared to the T1, which sounded noticeably brighter to me, I suppose it is. However, there was ample treble detail to my ears but just not the "sparkly" kind. The LCD-2 had the most "organic" sound signature of all the headphones I tried.

I totally agree. It's not that the LCD-2 is actually dark though. It's just that so many other headphones are so bright that upon first listen one might get the impression that they are dark. The more you listen, the more you realize how well rounded they are.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #8,444 of 18,459
^ I'd need to spend some more time with them but I suspect that the LCD-2's treble presentation is "shelved down". I did find the T1 to be brighter than I expected and more so than the HD800. However, these are only preliminary impressions formed under meet conditions. What I can say is that the LCD-2 and the HD800 were the two headphones that piqued my interest the most.  

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #8,445 of 18,459

Quote:
^ I'd need to spend some more time with them but I suspect that the LCD-2's treble presentation is "shelved down". I did find the T1 to be brighter than I expected and more so than the HD800. However, these are only preliminary impressions formed under meet conditions. What I can say is that the LCD-2 and the HD800 were the two headphones that piqued my interest the most.  

Glad to read you to to try both. Too bad it was only a meet, but better than nothing!

As a fellow drummer, I am interested to see what you think of the LCD-2 in your own system with a beefy amp. To me these things are the closest to being behind my kit in terms of tonal accuracy... and the drum kit spans almost all the FR with holes depending on your kit... so like the piano... if drums sound good on a headphone, anything will (or should at any rate).

After listening almost exclusively to the HD 800 for the past two weeks I have only rekindled my love affair with the LCD-2. The HD 800 were much better than I had anticipate... MUCH especially in the bass department... very refreshing to hear such a capable dynamic... but the LCD-2 is just pure magic in terms of how it can produce such real, beautiful music.

I still have much respect for the HD 800 and think it sounds great.... super comfy and as far as a all round "go to" headphone I would probably chose the HD 800 due to comfort and the soundstage... but to kick back after a hard day of work and or studying.. the LCD-2 are what I "need".

Throughout my "career" the LCD-2 are the only headphone that have continued to "wow" me just about every time I put them on. Whereas the wow factor slowly dies with most headphones, I still think these are the diamond in the rough, despite their weight issues among others.

Classic rock is absolutely "to die for" via the MAD Ear+ HD...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back