Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Dec 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #7,381 of 18,459
I don't find the LCD-2 lacks detail.  It's background is very black which may make you think it  lacks  detail.  It is this lack of extraneous noise that some may take as missing detail.  When I first tried the Audeze I likened it to the first time my speaker audio system was run fully balance.  There was nothing you could pinpoint as different , just a sense of smoothness.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #7,384 of 18,459

Quote:
....... My LCD-2´s are on the way right now... 

Do they send you a tracking number or inform you after they shipped the LCD-2s? How long after you made payment did they ship the headphones? I paid about 5 days ago but have not got any news or email from Audeze at all. Sent them an email but no reply yet .... 

I know this might have been discussed already - sorry if it's a re-hash ... the thread is just so cluttered with a small group of people trying to prove their point that it gets tiring reading every post ..... 

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #7,385 of 18,459
What new headbands? I know about the blocks but headbands?

Then sent my tracking number only after asking them a few times for it. They shipped mine one day after payment and I notice that normally this is how they ship, within a day or two after payment. Maybe put in your subject line, "please email tracking number". 

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #7,386 of 18,459

Quote:
Do they send you a tracking number or inform you after they shipped the LCD-2s? How long after you made payment did they ship the headphones? I paid about 5 days ago but have not got any news or email from Audeze at all. Sent them an email but no reply yet ....

I received my tracking number via email yesterday after paying up last Thursday (approx 5 days) so yours should arrive any moment now.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #7,387 of 18,459

Quote:
Regarding detail:

The LCD2 is detailed without question, that's not really up for discussion I'm sorry.  But what is subjective is it's presentation of detail.  I've said this before, but it seems important to say in this thread.  Most dynamic headphones and others that most of us have all gotten used to, have exaggerated treble which doesn't make headphones more detailed, it just makes them seem more detailed because it makes the detail louder.  So you get details that are actually supposed to be quiet and subtle, portrayed quite loudly along with other sounds, like the finger movements on the guitar string wind up being just as loud as the plucking of the string itself.  This is what the RS1 does, and probably one of the reasons it's so much fun.  I saw someone saying that the RS1 was more detailed than the LCD2, but really the details in the RS1 are just louder than the LCD-2.  The more detailed experience is true for that person, and totally valid, though it's not really possible that the RS1 is actually more detailed than an ortho, esp not the LCD2.  Headphones with a warm or neutral treble response are going to have a much more dynamic range of detail, from barely audible up to quite loud.  I find this to sound more pleasing, and more natural because this is how it is in the real world IMO, but others may not agree.  Some may find the LCD-2 doesn't put details out there loud enough.  Totally valid.  I find that the messy FR necessary to bring micro-details up in volume often ruins the tone of instruments (just look at a graph of the RS1's FR).  I guess it's all about priorities in the end.  Do you want subtle detail or in your face detail, and do you care more about detail or tone. 

edit:  Just my experience of course, FWIW

nice post... basically what I was trying to say but better put, and more inclusive.

Would be nice if people could make these leaps themselves that way we wouldn't have to explicitly state everything like you did in your post. Most people are supposed to be adults on this forum, no? But it would seem people are too busy being rhetoric police then actually reading what people are saying or what they mean. Way too much rubbish these past few pages, which makes a gem like this all the easier to appreciate.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7,388 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Mr. Green.  It is unfortunate that you spend so much time with unproductive posts which serve only to rip into the author.

I'm basing my statement off objective measurements. Sorry.

Really? How bold. Prepared to be chased by an angry mob of ignoramuses then! I hope you can run fast mr. green!

At least we have places like academic institutions that embrace such concepts as external validity and internal validity. Seems people can only do either or here.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #7,389 of 18,459

Quote:
and I just wanted to say I have rarely seen such a pompous load of sanctimonious tosh

The DETAIL IS NOT THERE AT ANY VOLUME (with the LCD-2) - there is that clear enough ?

The naive in me is assuming you are kidding and not a troll. Either that or you will be very disappointed at your next audiologist appointment. :p

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #7,390 of 18,459
Quote:
The LCD2 is detailed without question, that's not really up for discussion I'm sorry.  But what is subjective is it's presentation of detail.

I'd add a corollary to this post: whether the LCD-2 lacks "detail" or not depends on one's definition of the word as it pertains to sound. "Detail" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone and it's important to specify what exactly is being meant by the word when writing impressions/reviews.

Detail can mean hearing a cymbal strike, a snare drum's rat-a-tats, or guitar sliding cleanly. It can also mean hearing everything in the mix discretely and the locations of instruments in the soundstage and if one instrument is behind another or in front of it. Or it can mean whether or not a kick drum sounds like it's actually being hit, whether a drum sounds properly massive or not, or the difference between a vocalist exhaling or inhaling.

Impressions/reviews that don't go into detail (pardon the pun) of what's being meant by "detail" are generally useless to everyone other than the author for this reason.

For example, I could say the Qualia 010 is massively detailed - and it's true that it does reveal a lot of details. But it doesn't reveal everything that some other headphones do (like the Stax OII, for instance). The only absolute statement I'll make about the Qualia today is that it's supremely clear, which is entirely different. (If there's a "window" to the music, the Qualia is so clear it even removes the window itself.)

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #7,391 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
The LCD2 is detailed without question, that's not really up for discussion I'm sorry.  But what is subjective is it's presentation of detail.

I'd add a corollary to this post: whether the LCD-2 lacks "detail" or not depends on one's definition of the word as it pertains to sound. "Detail" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone and it's important to specify what exactly is being meant by the word when writing impressions/reviews.

Detail can mean hearing a cymbal strike, a snare drum's rat-a-tats, or guitar sliding cleanly. It can also mean hearing everything in the mix discretely and the locations of instruments in the soundstage and if one instrument is behind another or in front of it. Or it can mean whether or not a kick drum sounds like it's actually being hit, whether a drum sounds properly massive or not, or the difference between a vocalist exhaling or inhaling.

Impressions/reviews that don't go into detail (pardon the pun) of what's being meant by "detail" are generally useless to everyone other than the author for this reason.

For example, I could say the Qualia 010 is massively detailed - and it's true that it does reveal a lot of details. But it doesn't reveal everything that some other headphones do (like the Stax OII, for instance). The only absolute statement I'll make about the Qualia today is that it's supremely clear, which is entirely different. (If there's a "window" to the music, the Qualia is so clear it even removes the window itself.)

Very good points.

It is also not ridiculous to use objective measurements when discussing things like detail of a headphone. Because while the Qualia and SA5K do indeed make things SOUND detailed, the drivers are actually piss poor when you looks at their objective measurements, and the peaky FR in the highs brings details out in tracks that would not normally be heard, because the dB to accentuate those details would be flatter, and probably drowned out or not noticed.

Now, I have not heard the qualia, but from what I remember they use the same driver as the SA5K, or atleast a driver based on the exact same technology, in which case they were probably the same drivers, just the cream of the crop.

So the SA5K do sound detailed, but it is a trick, like rythmdevils touches on with the R1. The perception of detail is simply due to an FR peak or imbalance.

Thus, despite what people would like to believe, it is very likely the case that people who do not perceive the LCD-2 as detailed are used to peaky and louder treble that headphones usually exhibit. If you went from the SA5K to the LCD-2 you would probably think the LCD-2 were disgusting muted bassmonsters. Upon further investigation you realize the SA5 is like a trophy wife that has been lying to you... shes not all she seems :p.

so while I love the SA5K, and the things it "reveals" it would be ignorant to think of it as true detail, because it takes things out of context, and is not a faithful picture. People can view this in the same way as a psychoactive substance. Sure, it might make things better in your view, but it is not "more real" than being sober.

Differnt HRTF, perceptions, and hearing damage aside I think people need to remember that Hi-Fi stands for high fidelity. High fidelity means highly faithful to the source. So anything that sounds great, but is not neutral is not, by definition, hi-fi. Sure, it sounds good, but it is not hi-fi, and not detailed, at least in ultimate terms. Neutral might be dependent upon our personal ears, but there is surely a statistical FR that is "One FR fits most" The LCD-2 took headphones to a new level. They put highs in their place, gave epic impulse response and square waves... and some people really don't like this, because it goes against their love for the sound of their other headphones. Loving a particular sound signature is fine, but people should be mature enough to acknowledge their tastes personal tastes on reality.

At any rate, this is how I see the situation, and to my ears the LCD-2 are near perfect, save soundstage. To my ears, tonality is perfect, and so are highs. All headphones save the LCD-2 and the T1 to a degree exhibit false, and tinny "highs". If you ever hear a REAL cymbal, like the ones in my basement, and compare your headphones to that people would have a better idea of what highs really sound like. Sure my cymbals are not the same that were used on every recording but if you understand cymbals there are certain sounds you listen for. Some are dry, some are bright etc etc.

so yes the cymbals sound true to my ears, which means my interpretation could be false. By that same token I am also young and know the sounds I talk about in real life on a daily basis, amplified, and acoustic. Through hearing protection, without. etc etc. Others might have lesser capacities (or greater) and so this affects their interpretations too.

People are free to disagree, but you have to accept the facts for what they are: The LCD-2 have plenty detail -this is statistically sound, and measurements back it up (here is your proof). If you don't like the FR boohoo for you.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #7,392 of 18,459

Quote:
Differnt HRTF, perceptions, and hearing damage aside I think people need to remember that Hi-Fi stands for high fidelity. High fidelity means highly faithful to the source. So anything that sounds great, but is not neutral is not, by definition, hi-fi. Sure, it sounds good, but it is not hi-fi, and not detailed, at least in ultimate terms. Neutral might be dependent upon our personal ears, but there is surely a statistical FR that is "One FR fits most" The LCD-2 took headphones to a new level. They put highs in their place, gave epic impulse response and square waves... and some people really don't like this, because it goes against their love for the sound of their other headphones. Loving a particular sound signature is fine, but people should be mature enough to acknowledge their tastes personal tastes on reality

LOL. Are you insinuating that people who dislike the headphone have hearing damage?

The LCD-2, although it reproduces very accurate bass, actually is not very faithful to the source at all because of the HUGE colouration to the treble (virtually -10dB and MORE relative to the rest of the spectrum past 1khz to the human ear).

Now, I'll simplify this for you by using Tyll's compensated average. Note: The results aren't actually WHAT is occurring, instead it reflects what you ACTUALLY hear.

Let's assume you listen so 100hz on the graph is 100dB loud (just to make it simple).

This means that 2khz will be 90dB to your ears.

100dB is 0.01 w/m^2
90dB is 0.001 w/m^2

That is, there is 10 times less energy (sound intensity) in the treble (note that ~3dB is roughly double).

100dB creates a pressure of 2 Pascals.
By contrast, 90dB only creates 0.632455532 Pascals.

100dB creates three (3.16) times the pressure.

Note that this isn't actually what is happening - it is what you hear. The treble of the LCD-2 is actually making more sound pressure at 3kz than the lower end of the spectrum. The reduction in audibility comes from functions of the ear (including how effective the cochlear is at "conducting" the sound, as well as other things to do with pinna etc, but I won't go into that).

The impulse response is inferior to the HD800.

Faded out is LCD2.

It's also inferior to the CD3k, to some extent (although the levels are roughly the same).

The CSD is impressive. But, just to demonstrate how it relates to sound quality. Here's a CSD of the PortaPro.

I have no complaints about the square wave responses. The bass production of the LCD-2 is fantastic. I will note of course that the responses only give a very limited picture. As you go an octave further (as an example, a Bosendorfer 9' 6" Concert Grand has 8 octaves) you double the speed at which the diaphragm must move. As such, it becomes much more complicated to produce a perfect square wave (a square wave is used because it is technically impossible to produce AFAIK (save some funky physics), because the derivative of a perfect square wave's point of change (i.e. where 1 swaps to -1; or the moment it goes from "up" to "down" (on the oscilloscope-type readout of amplitude) tends to infinity (or, more strictly undefined/1/0) - which you see in the graphs. In a perfect world, that is (in the real world, speakers struggle by design with low frequencies because they need to move more air, which means they also have to move more), but anyway.A square wave is composed of an infinite number of odd multiples of sine waves (iirc), which means in the 50hz measurement you see, 50, 150, 250, 350, 450, and so on. I actually believe that Tyll hasn't compensated his square wave responses- although I'm not sure there are algorithms that allow this (perhaps inverted fourier shiz) (and I'm unsure whether or not this applies to his actual setup). In the square wave response (50hz) of both the HD800 and LCD-2 we see, for example, evidence of overemphasis of treble frequencies (which is established for both headphones in the RAW data, but not those compensated for the human ear).

Note that an impulse response is essentially the same as doing the first half of a square wave response. Using Fourier transforms, etc you can reproduce the frequency response of the system. They have very little to do with "Detail", although they can tell you other things, like if a particular driver is out of phase (which is probably hard to do with the LCD-2 because the square waves used are low-pitch (which allows a longer test time), and the LCD-2 has very good phase response for the lower half). But anyway, suffice it to say that the LCD-2 has an inferior sense of "timing" to the HD800, for example. It's hard to say which has faster acceleration, as the graphs don't match up exactly. You can fairly safely say, IMO that the CD3000 has faster acceleration in that case.

However, keep in mind that this all has less to do with "Detail" than you think it does. In fact, it has more to do with phase (which I guess can be associated with "PRaT" because a speaker being out of phase has to do with delay in the speaker (due to various issues such as resonance etc), and frequency response.

I've probably explained this all extremely badly, it's very early in the morning (6:30 am and I haven't been to bed).

You may find it interesting to know, now, that the "slope" many speakers produce in square wave outputs actually shows that they (in their RAW data, not compensated) are boosting treble frequncies by a significant amount. Note that this isn't the case for the LCD-2, because it's actually not boosting them a lot (although it still does), but to the EAR it's very dark.

Hope this has been a little informative to some (I'm not sure many here know how to read square wave responses).

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #7,393 of 18,459
I feel as though I'm back in school, eyes glazed over, in my own special happy place (usually thinking 'bout what record to play first when I get home).

To me, it's simple.  It goes like this:  Does it sound good?  Do you like it?  If so, great.  If not, then that's okay, too.  Trying to convince someone who hears something one way that their hearing is incorrect is rather a futile effort, IMO.  And using graphs, charts, specs, etcetera to support your (or anyone elses', for that matter) opinion as to why some other pair of ears should hear certain things...I mean, really? 

All I know is that so far, I've been enamored by these cans.  For whatever reason (orthodynamic?) they just sound a bit different than all of the other cans I've had (or have).  They don't do anything drastically different, I mean, the Yellowjackets and Fourplay still sound like the Yellowjackets and Fourplay.  It's really hard to explain, but there's some weird sensation I get while listening through these.  And I think that sensation (whatever it is) is not something I recall having felt before while listening to some tunes through a pair of cans.  Who knows, maybe it's just the "new toy" syndrome seriously at play.  I don't know.  But something just feels different.

I guess the most important thing to me is that I do look forward to listening to music through these cans during the day, while I'm at work, and look forward to getting the work part of my day done to enjoy the fun part of it, which includes the LCD-2's.  At least for now.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #7,394 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me, it's simple.  It goes like this:  Does it sound good?  Do you like it?  If so, great.  If not, then that's okay, too.  Trying to convince someone who hears something one way that their hearing is incorrect is rather a futile effort, IMO.  And using graphs, charts, specs, etcetera to support your (or anyone elses', for that matter) opinion as to why some other pair of ears should hear certain things...I mean, really? 

You're right. And no, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I'm trying to educate people who are making false conclusions based on data that isn't actually there. Furthermore, correcting basic facts (regarding the treble response).

People (such as yourself) are quick to point the finger because I am not of the same opinions as you (with regards to how I feel about these headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back