Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 30, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6,976 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
There is only three variables in bass reproduction, amplitude, agility and extension, I though "impact" relates to amplitude.  Bass that is more "impacting" than the closed D7000 from an open can is unheard of - if it indeed "impacted" more than the D7000, I would have thought that would not be such a good thing.  I always wanted the D7000 to be just a little less impactful - that was my idea of a perfect headphone.

To me, impact is not only amplitude, it is amplitude and quick raise time at the same time.  "Impact" is perfect to listen to kick drum sound.
To me, D7000 might be punchy, but not impactful enough to enjoy a realistic sound from a kick drum, but good enough for pop or trance music.

If it's only amplitude, it could sound like a boom boom.  :D

Btw, has anyone here compared LCD-2 to the legendary Fostex T50? in terms of smoothness, treble and bass extension, imaging, vocal airiness, instrument separation?

OK in that sense, the D7000 would not be no where near as impactful as the LCD2s.  FWIW, I have never heard any can that, when EQ'd to expose its subbass by attenuating competing frequencies...did not sound like the D7000s in its "flabby" nature...not even the tightly controlled bass of the mighty HD800s.  Only the LCD2s can maintain such a high amplitude without sounding flabby.

I have both the T50, which for its price is phenomenal and I have modded, and also the LCD2s back with me...There is no area that the LCD2 does not comprehensively beat the T50s, although price to performance ratio is a good match IMO. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #6,977 of 18,459

Quote:
For those Led Zepplin fans... you would crap brix listening to Bonzo's Montreux. The drums sound great and extremely detailed... down to the crappy skins they were using at the time. Subjectively I do not like the tuning either... but damn does this sound accurate.

I'm sorry but I have to ask. What makes you think that drum heads were "crappy" at that time, and what was it about the drum tuning that you didn't like, "Subjectively"? Feel free to send me a PM so we can avoid taking this thread any further off-topic. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #6,978 of 18,459

Quote:
Are people saying that the headphones bass is always impactful (i.e. Denon level) or it merely has the potential to be impactful? How does it handle smoother jazz bass (eg. general acoustic bass or even a fusion bass like jaco?)

You really need to hear the LCD2s, if you haven't already been convinced that the LCD2s would most likely be voted the undisputed bass accuracy champion...in terms of amplitude, agility and extension, when all three factors are taken into consideration.  Some cans might have a higher amplitude, such as Bose...but there has never been a can in existence that can claim to beat the LCD2 in the last two department...and produce precision measurements to back this claim.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #6,979 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:
Are people saying that the headphones bass is always impactful (i.e. Denon level) or it merely has the potential to be impactful? How does it handle smoother jazz bass (eg. general acoustic bass or even a fusion bass like jaco?)

You really need to hear the LCD2s, if you haven't already been convinced that the LCD2s would most likely be voted the undisputed bass accuracy champion...in terms of amplitude, agility and extension, when all three factors are taken into consideration.  Some cans might have a higher amplitude, such as Bose...but there has never been a can in existence that can claim to beat the LCD2 in the last two department...and produce precision measurements to back this claim.

There's a local guy but he seems hard to get in touch with.

Only a few pay days (two) away from just buying them. Figured I'd make sure :)

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #6,980 of 18,459
A worthy wait.

The bass on the LCD-2 is the best I've heard from a headphone and many a speaker. I've taken them through all ranges of material I have used for thirty years to test equipment and it soundly handled every piece. Some (ELP-Lucky Man) I'd never heard the bottom of the synth. as it goes lower than most anything I've experienced. I have been able to hear the lowest end but it just faded into noise but never exposed a firm end. The LCD-2 was the first instrument to expose the note's boundary. I am thrilled to know there is something out there that works on a dynamic amp that can give that kind of detail on low end extension. The LCD-2 deserves all the attention as it serves a bridge between typical dynamics and electrostatics.

Once I got used to the LCD-2, every piece of music became a new experience again. Music I'd only collected for variety suddenly attracted new interest. My 60-70s rock became clear and precise. Things I never remembered being part of a song before was exposed.

For me, it's between the LCD-2 and the HE-6. I've not had time with the HE-6 but did get meet time with the HE-5 and liked it and the last two weeks with the LCD-2 has raised the bar in what I expect from a headphone rig.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #6,981 of 18,459

Quote:
With my ZDT amp the LCD-2 have tremendous bass impact, rivaling the Denons but having better agility and quality.  The HE-6 bass quantity is less, but the quality is remarkable as well and they do have good depth.  As for stats, my O2 Mk1 have good impact out of my WES amp, similar to the HE-6 but with more bloom and warmth.  So I think a well driven stat would not meet the description of "zero impact" but it will depend a lot on your amplification.

Well said as always, Larry.  The LCD-2 have more bass weight than the HE-6.  The HE-6 might have just a little bit more agility in the bass, but if so, it's only slight, IMO.  "Impact" is a tough word for describing headphone bass, because there is no real physical impact, so we're talking about a combination of weight and agility (what some people call "speed").  It's almost impossible to say which of these headphones has more "impact", as they have different areas of strength in the bass (and elsewhere).

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #6,982 of 18,459
Quote:
OK in that sense, the D7000 would not be no where near as impactful as the LCD2s.  FWIW, I have never heard any can that, when EQ'd to expose its subbass by attenuating competing frequencies...did not sound like the D7000s in its "flabby" nature...not even the tightly controlled bass of the mighty HD800s.  Only the LCD2s can maintain such a high amplitude without sounding flabby.

I have both the T50, which for its price is phenomenal and I have modded, and also the LCD2s back with me...There is no area that the LCD2 does not comprehensively beat the T50s, although price to performance ratio is a good match IMO. 
wink_face.gif

Thanks, I'm relieved :wink:

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #6,983 of 18,459
I'm torn between upgrading from an AKG 702 to either the LCD-2 or the Beyerdynamic T1. I have not heard either, but from all my research on this site and others, I have narrowed my choice to these two.Both sound very appealing, and I don't have anyway to hear them. Anyone who has heard both please advise.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #6,985 of 18,459
Some people did, they didn't mail them all out at once.  I was told mine were mailed out on Monday.

If yours are practically broken I think if you ask them again and reiterate how badly cracked yours are, they will rush yours out.  I think that may have been what happened with mine...

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #6,986 of 18,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The LCD-2 deserves all the attention as it serves a bridge between typical dynamics and electrostatics.

Would you say, then, that it is inferior to electrostats in terms of transparency? Or it simply incorporates the benefits of each design for a price that is more suitable for people who already have a dynamic setup?

This is basically (well, including the HD800, which I have heard and the T1, which I have not), what is keeping me from joining the preorder list without hearing first.

My listening regime is probably different than most here (as I mostly listen to ambient and things).

Theoretically, since I prefer a bass response that is (or rather can be) "out of the way" (like the ER4), I can simply EQ the headphone to my tastes.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #6,987 of 18,459

Quote:
My listening regime is probably different than most here (as I mostly listen to ambient and things).

Theoretically, since I prefer a bass response that is (or rather can be) "out of the way" (like the ER4), I can simply EQ the headphone to my tastes.

I reckon you'd be better served by another can.  I get the feeling the LCD2s are not for you.  you shouldn't discount the HE6, HD800, T1 and by impressions maybe even the W5000.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #6,988 of 18,459

Quote:
This is basically (well, including the HD800, which I have heard and the T1, which I have not), what is keeping me from joining the preorder list without hearing first.

My most listened music genre are New Age (Narada Lotus Sampler, Vangelis, Arkenstone), movie soundtracks, and classical music.  I am not sure if they are similar to the "ambient" but I was also quite unsure if LCD2 would be the right phone for me.  For those music, the "crispiness", air or room feeling, accurate imaging, and rich but not harsh sparkling/decay are extremely important for the enjoyment of those music.  While I enjoy a lot of them withe DT880/600 and T1, I often wonder if LCD2 is right for me.

Anyone has similar music taste may share your experience with LCD2?    Much appreciated!!

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #6,989 of 18,459

Quote:
Forgive me for bringing this up again, but has anyone received their new adjustment blocks yet? My LCD-2 are still sitting in their box with broken parts, and so far nothing has arrived despite my having contacted Audez'e two months ago.

Not only have I not received the replacement blocks, I have yet to receive my new wood storage box, as mine arrived with a split/crack. I initiated the email transaction with Audez'e on the 5th of November, to which I received an immediate response, stating they would ship my box out next week. I had not heard back from them since, so I sent a follow up email on the 22nd of this month, to which I received another fast reply that they would 'check with the shipping department.' I'm fortunate that my plastic blocks are still functional, but I was informed that I would be receiving the metal ones anyway, as my batch 'could be effected.' The box is also not crucially important, but it's just the principle. I don't want to hound them, but I also want to make sure they don't forget about me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back