Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #6,724 of 18,459
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #6,726 of 18,459
There is nothing wrong with my blocks, so no video in the mail for me. I just want to see what the new blocks look like.

Quote:
Quote:
How about some pictures of how it all looks in one piece again?

check your email! Audez'e sent out a video showing how to chance the blocks.. pretty good view of them there.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #6,727 of 18,459

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with my blocks, so no video in the mail for me. I just want to see what the new blocks look like.

Quote:
Quote:
How about some pictures of how it all looks in one piece again?

check your email! Audez'e sent out a video showing how to chance the blocks.. pretty good view of them there.

Looks the same as the old blocks and in black too.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #6,728 of 18,459
I received the email too although my LCD-2 does not have any problem whatsoever. I will just store the new blocks.

Very good act from Audez'e I must say!

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #6,730 of 18,459
Creep? What would creep inside the blocks? (why would it?)

I can't see any reason why they would break. (Can't make promises, but I am not worried.)

Quote:

Quote:
I received the email too although my LCD-2 does not have any problem whatsoever. I will just store the new blocks.

With the bending shape on these headphones I imagine everyone's will begin to creep over time and begin cracking.

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #6,732 of 18,459

Quote:
I think one question remains for me.

Everyone ranting and raving about the LCD-2 remarks about their "real" quality, and their natural sound, which, as my sig states, is my absolute goal in audio. But for me, the benchmark in natural sound reproduction comes from full sized planar magnetic speakers, such as Magnepan's lineup, in a properly acoustically treated room, and considering the price of these is close to the price of a pair of used Magnepan 1.6/1.7s, it's not an entirely unfair comparison. 

The question is, are these a match for full size planar speakers, or are they not? If not, I'll end up getting JH13s and Maggies. If so, well, we'll just see then....

I'll likely be able to hear the LCD-2 at the upcoming NY meet, but hearing other opinions would still be nice.

Wow! this thread continues to be very active.  I was planning to respond to your post, but lost it in all the traffic.  Anyway, you can look for me at the meet on Saturday.  I'll have my LCD-2's you can try out.

To address your question, I don't see the LCD-2's as an adequate replacement for speakers. They definitely share some of the same "naturalness" qualities of Maggies, but they don't deliver as "real" a listening experience.  I feel like the Maggies are closer to a live music event.  I hit about 10-15 concerts a year, so that's my standard of reference.  Both the Maggies and the LCD-2's offer a "reach-out-and-touch" type of window on a (good) recording.  But nothing in my experience really delivers the you-are-there illusion as well as Maggies do (disclaimer -- there's far more stuff out there I've never heard that could be superior, I've just never heard it).

If I were you, I'd put my money on the speakers, but you'll also need plenty of clean power to get the best out of them.  And, as you point out, the room has to be accomodating, to let you place the speakers out in the room and deal with any nasty room modes with appropriate treatments or speaker placement.  The economics favor the LCD-2's.

I'm also a ten-year Maggie owner with a pair of Magneplanar 1.6qr speakers that I've heavily modded.  I briefly owned a set of 3.5's with ribbon tweeters and I'm one of those who prefers the quasi-ribbon to the full ribbon for its overall better coherency.  I run mine with gobs of power, with a 600wpc Innersound amp on the bass panels and monoblock 120watt tube amps on each of the treble panels.  My amps are directly connected to the speaker elements (no crossovers in between) and I use a Linkwitz Labs MT-1 crossover between my First Sound preamp and the three speaker amps.  Even with all that power and Mye stands, these Maggies don't really do deep bass, so the LCD-2's are clearly better than the Maggies here.  OTOH, my Maggies are supplemented by a set of 4 subwoofers driven by a 1000watt plate amp assisting them (the Audiokinesis SWARM sub-system), so there is no deficiency of bass in my room. And the subs provide enough "Slam" for rock music and giant symphonic crescendos, which is otherwise a weakness of the Maggies.

Given a choice, I'd rather listen to the speakers.  Most of my headphone listening is during the work day.  In the evenings and weekends, the cans don't get much airtime.  But the LCD-2's are darned impressive for what they do, and my favorite can to date (after some Beyerdynamics and a succession of Senn headphones).  I'm totally happy spending 4-6 hours a day listening to them!

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #6,733 of 18,459
The guys at Audeze have truly top notch customer service. There was a problem with my pair with one of the xlr plugs being stuck in the connector, so I sent it back and asked for the latest revisions on the way (most importantly, the angled cable connectors). I received what looks like to be a brand new pair; new serial number, graph, cable, grill, blocks, and even a wooden box. And in just 2 weeks turnaround time (including shipping).

I still don't have a good amp for them yet, but they sound the same to me as far as I can tell. I do notice the clamp being less tight than it used to be, in which I never had a problem with before. Before, when I would tilt my head the LCD-2 would stay put, now it would slide a little forward. Not a deal breaker. The cables still do bother me though when I'm listening while sitting down...either they're too bulky or needs to be angled even further?

Anyway, I would just like to say thanks to Audeze for the great service!

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #6,734 of 18,459

Quote:
Creep? What would creep inside the blocks? (why would it?)

I can't see any reason why they would break. (Can't make promises, but I am not worried.)

Creep is just fatigue caused by adding pressure and then releasing it, again and again.  Its pretty apparent in plastics. If you've ever broken a piece of plastic by bending it over and over, same deal. Looking at the design, I can see the plastic ends up taking a good amount of force every time the cups are spread apart.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #6,735 of 18,459
I don't know. I just took a close look at those blocks and they seem last for decades lol.

Quote:

Quote:

With the bending shape on these headphones I imagine everyone's will begin to creep over time and begin cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back