Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #5,493 of 18,459

Quote:
Problem is I find my uDac-2, which has built-in amp and cost 1/3 price of DacMagic, sound better than DacMagic
frown.gif

However both the Schiit and the DacMagic are new to me (less than 10 hours for both) so I think I will give 'em a few days.

Definitely give DM at least about 200 hours before ruling it out.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5,494 of 18,459
Back in the day, the Benchmark Dac1 and the Lavry were great improvements to most systems to aide in making an average CDP much better or to use for computer audio, but now I find them to be a bit sterile and find there are better Dacs that improve sound in the sub-$1200 range. Even my battery power Ack Dac to be more warm and accommodating. The Cary Exciter and the HR MicroDac give you more bang for you buck. Even the iBasso D-10 has a nice dac in it, The Head-Direct HM-801 has a 1704 DAC that is pleasing to to ears. I have a Meitner EmmLabs Dac 6e which retails for $10K which is G-ds gift to the world, but it gives me a baseline to compare to.
For a few sheckles more the exciter is the way ti go...also it as multiple digital input options to choose from, and has multiple output choices.

This thread, as with many, has gone off topic along time ago, but it seems to ne the direction that we are headed in, so as long as the the off-topic answers many questions for the members, but it should run it's course.  

The times, they are a changin"

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #5,495 of 18,459
Thank for all your inputs guys! I definitely need your knowledge
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I will keep it for a while then. There is one obvious upside of the DACMagic is the soundstage. Now USB is my only option but I will try the optical input using Macbook Pro in a few days. Laptop is always my main source but unfortunately there are not many manufactures keep optical out on their laptops
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #5,496 of 18,459

Quote:
Thank for all your inputs guys! I definitely need your knowledge
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I will keep it for a while then. There is one obvious upside of the DACMagic is the soundstage. Now USB is my only option but I will try the optical input using Macbook Pro in a few days. Laptop is always my main source but unfortunately there are not many manufactures keep optical out on their laptops
frown.gif

The USB Thingee has made a reasonably good upgrade to my PC audio. So much so that I am now back using it (30% of the time). I did get completely away from it before I put it in between my DAC and PC. It can convert USB to either coax or optical.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #5,498 of 18,459
In the future people wanting to research the LCD2 will have to wade through pages and pages of this off-topic stuff.

This is one reason we have 900 page threads.   People at head-fi just WILL NOT STAY ON TOPIC. 

If you want to discuss DACS please go to the DEDICATED SOURCE COMPONENTS FORUM. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #5,499 of 18,459
I personally found this off topic crap informative.

Quote:
In the future people wanting to research the LCD2 will have to wade through pages and pages of this off-topic stuff.

This is one reason we have 900 page threads.   People at head-fi just WILL NOT STAY ON TOPIC. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #5,500 of 18,459

Quote:

Well it's always been like this from the start so you'll just have to adapt.
If you have any questions regarding the LCD-2, just ask.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #5,501 of 18,459
The information has been very informative and most of it refers to using the LCD-2 (or other headphones for that matter).

The thread is ridiculously ginormous anyway. Like YoungAudiophile stated, just ask anything that you want to know. 
The thread has run it's course, except for any changes that might be made in the near future. So we either close it down,
or let it stay alive and continue it's course.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #5,502 of 18,459

Quote:

I ordered mine August 1st and received notification on September 29th - so I would say roughly 2 months unless production is increased.

This was my experience too.  Ordered August 2nd, notified September 29th.  Of course they may be increasing efficiency, or the FOTM may wear off which would change this.  But that's what I was planning for and exactly what I got too.

YMMV

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #5,504 of 18,459

Quote:

1) most people will just go ahead and ask their questions without reading, so I doubt we are changing their behavior any.

2) Conversation is a dynamic beast. It's hard to keep it in one direction when there are tons of different people with tons of different tangents they would interested to pursue.

3) most of it is somewhat on topic, and its far better than 30 pages of people talking about the damned foam on the headband, no?

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5,505 of 18,459
FWIW I don't know if anyone here has listened to the IOWA cd by Slipknot... but Joey uses very bright cymbals and they sound very accurate on the LCD-2. Having heard these cymbals (paiste rude/ paiste 2002) many times in the flesh I can tell you this with great certainty. 

They actual offer the best definition I have heard of cymbals, but they are noticeably quieter/less obnoxious than say on my D7000. Which, on this particular CD at any rate, is a very good thing because it is annoying when a hi hat or ride dominates a song. Just interesting that despite the lowered volume there is more detail in that spectrum. 

I have found this is not always the case on CDs though with the LCD-2. How much of it is the recording, and where the frequencies happen to lie I can never tell 100%.

Also if anyone wants to give that CD a shot, "Skin Ticket" and "Iowa" are two awesome tracks to show off percussion. Very good references. 

My ears, my gear, all IMHO. Can also be a product of only using the LCD-2 for quite some time now so take it with some salt. I will stick to percussion being second to none though :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back