Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #4,217 of 18,459

Quote:
^Another insightful post :)

Agreed. As usual, very well stated Aaron (insightful and funny at the same time)! A great read.

I'm not sure I'd like the sacrificed treble for the ultra smooth bass/mid bass/mids. Rythmdevils said a while ago (while referring to the K701s): "Real life has bass". Well, real life has treble too.

But those are just thoughts as I wait for my number to be called by Audeze in the scorching Toronto summer heat.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4,219 of 18,459

Quote:
Any ideas on the wait list? Ordered about a month ago, so I hope I get in on the June orders :)

Hard to tell? I've been on the list about two months. I did send them a follow up email the next day to see "how long the wait was" and they quoted me about a month. I don't think I'll be getting called until late September though...

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #4,221 of 18,459
Don't think thickness has any effect on freq resp.  For one the stats that are "bright" have a thicker membrane.  And at least for HE series, the 5 is thicker than the 5LE but has brighter treble and less bass extension.  I think its more about design choices.  Audeze thinks a shelf at 1K is natural so thats what they did.  I think it isn't natural but certainly less fatiguing and has no impact on resolution.  On that note, I never understood the treble equal detail argument.  Increased dB in a region with no parts of the instrument doesn't increase the detail of it :wink:

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #4,223 of 18,459
Thanks for the kind words folks.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
However, I somehow differ on your opinion of the D7000, which to my ears, seems to be voiced as an anti-thesis to the LCD-2. Apparently, I'm not that overly fond of the Denon's apparent V-shaped response, I guess my ears have been pampered and thoroughly acclimated to these neutral sounding cans, such as the Audez'es, anything less already sound awry and synthetic to me. To each his own, of course.

I think there are some nice similarities between the D7000s and the -2's (nice abbreviation immtbiker!!). The weight/body of the D7000s is something I really like and it is something that the -2's exhibit similarly IMO. It is something I really wish the HD800s had more of. I have never had issues with V-shaped frequency responses. The mids haven't disappeared or anything. They are there, just slightly less prominent. My attention usually wanders to the bass line and I like to easily pick that part out. Bass is pretty important for the rhythm based music I often listen too. Same for the upper mids/highs- I like slightly aggressive guitars and punchy horns. Again, it works with much of the music I listen it. Also, I listen at fairly low volumes and the V shape seems to help there a lot. I would not mind a little more bump in the mid bass of the -2's for the reasons mentioned but because of the weight/body and extension, I am almost entirely satisfied with the lower register. I really like the taut deep bass of the HD800s but it disappears too much in the mix for me and it can't really reproduce 'phat' synthesized bass very well IMO. Not to worry, 'phat' is not a usual part of my vocabulary, but it seems a useful designation here. Big full deep synthesized bass is quite different than acoustic bass (which the HD800s due nearly perfectly). The D7000s do 'phat' bouncy bass better than any set of headphones I have heard IMO. The D7000's also have a slightly extended decay or echo-y coloration (due to the cups I assume). I love that as well. Music I listen to uses a lot of synthesizers, electric guitars and effects and that slightly extended decay or whatever it is adds to the 'coolness' of those sounds. I am not a huge Rush fan, but Moving Pictures is one of my test CDs. The opening of Tom Sawyer is probably one of the coolest sounds I have heard recorded and I am pretty sure that was the intention of the artists. It sounds at its coolest through the D7000s to me. The HD800s lack any sort of room and coupled with minimal weight and body, synthesizers and electric guitars sound just okay or pretty bad with them to me. I wish the -2's had a little more decay or more of a 'room' but the weight/body makes a big difference in comparison to the HD800s.

A truthiness point often made here at Head Fi is You will get bored by colored headphones. I have had and loved the D7000s for about two years and it has not yet happened. I do not think the added color from the D7000s really detracts from my listening experience in any meaningful way. It is not like they are transducer versions of Auto-Tune or somehow mimic the trunk of Shaquille O'neal's Escalade as often insinuated. I find the additions to be subtle accents that just make fun music a little more fun. Headphone listening is generally a trippy experience for me. I often listen to trippy music. The D7000s simply contribute to the experience. I have no problem with people who listen critically to orchestral music and care about close-to-real reproduction having issues with D7000s and their flavor will not be for everyone. I just see it as different tools for different jobs and they are definitely my cup of tea. However, if I do ever get pulled to the neutral side, the -2's just may be the ones to do it. The LCD-2's are the best audiophile rock headphones I have heard. All the detail and realism is there with limited to no pain from sibilance and only minimal suffering due poor recording/mixing. The weight/body is invaluable here as well. I have owned quite a few excellent headphones over the past two years but none have really come close to replacing the D7000s as my go-to cans. The LCD-2's are the first ones that seem to have a chance of doing so. I am very excited about them and they are keepers for sure.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #4,224 of 18,459
Very insightfiul Gu Sensei!

I am reminded of why I like my D7000s so much.  I auditioned both HD800 and D7000 and walked away with D7000 even though they cost more than HD800 in Australia (2.4k vs 2k).  The D7000 is still unrivalled in many aspects to this day IMO.
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #4,226 of 18,459

Quote:
Very insightfiul Gu Sensei!

I am reminded of why I like my D7000s so much.  I auditioned both HD800 and D7000 and walked away with D7000 even though they cost more than HD800 in Australia (2.4k vs 2k).  The D7000 is still unrivalled in many aspects to this day IMO.
beerchug.gif

???That's nuts!How can denon do that! The d7000 is only the half price of HD800.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #4,228 of 18,459

Quote:
2.4K, ah no you can get them for $1500 (I got mine for $850 delivered from USA)

1.7K cash was as low as I could get it.  Oh well, you live you learn - I still don't regret my purchase that's for sure...but yeah the LCD2s seemed like peanuts after that fiasco.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #4,229 of 18,459

Quote:
???That's nuts!How can denon do that! The d700 is only the half price of HD800.

I guess Aussie tastes, therfore demand and supply - affects the prices.

To get things back on track...I find the comfort has improved with my LCD2s with more use.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4,230 of 18,459
I have to ask Gu Sensai, are you a jazz listener and if so, do you have a preference between the LCD-2 and the HD800 for this music genre? I should add that I mainly listen to acoustic jazz combos, so acoustic bass figures prominently in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back