Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 2, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #3,077 of 18,459

Quote:
Quite the contrary, the low level detail across the spectrum is the best that I personally have ever heard in a headphone which allows and encourages me to listen at far lower levels than I can with any other headphone I own.  Extremely linear amplitude response.

Precisely! The balance at moderate levels is special. (Ahem!) you can crank-it up just a tad when Hendrix has stopped by...
wink_face.gif
. After a few shots of Tequila last eve I was enjoying some sci-fi-funk-a-delic Stanley Clarke at at Peak/Volcano levels (the amp is no joke). The Bass had rubbed a layer of skin off the soles of the feet! That was a fricken good ride! 

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #3,078 of 18,459

Yep, definitely the norm.  I got on the list on June 11 and have yet to get my e-mail.  I'm hoping that I'll be on the next batch.

With that said, has anyone with a June pre order received an email yet?

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #3,079 of 18,459

Quote:
Yep, definitely the norm.  I got on the list on June 11 and have yet to get my e-mail.  I'm hoping that I'll be on the next batch.

Does anyone not find it odd that there are so many raves for headphones that you can't get? Started with the HD800, then the HE-5, then the T1, now this. And when they do eventually become readily available, the raves die down. A really pattern here.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #3,080 of 18,459
True, and I've fallen pray to a lot of these such as the HE-5 and T1...thoroughly being disappointed with both.  HD800 did have statospheric hype when first released, which thankfully has calmed down, but to my eyes for those who like the sound signature, they still are one of the top headphones out there.  As for the LCD-2, yes they are still new to the market, but to me they really do deserve all the praise that they are receiving.  They aren't the best headphone in the world that obsoletes all others, but they are still pretty darn great.

Quote:
Does anyone not find it odd that there are so many raves for headphones that you can't get? Started with the HD800, then the HE-5, then the T1, now this. And when they do eventually become readily available, the raves die down. A really pattern here.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #3,081 of 18,459
I received my LCD-2s yesterday. I listened for a while on the stock cable and then switched to my Cardas Golden Reference cable. Overall, I agree with the previous assessment that they take a while to impress you. In sound, they share many qualities with the Stax SR-007 (I had the SR-007 with KGSS for a while previously).

The LCD-2 has the fantastic bass depth/quality of the SR-007 (and probably has more impact). The LCD-2 also images better than any other headphone except the SR-007: the LCD-2 can't match the amazing detail of the SR-007 and this makes the far background seem murky. It would be very interesting if someone did a Darth Nut style review on the LCD-2 but I suspect it would lose out slightly to the SR-007.

The amp I used was my Cary CAD-88SEI (a single-ended, transformer coupled KT88 amp). I will eventually listen to the LCD-2s with my singlepower squarewave XL. 

As with everyone else, the worst thing about the LCD-2 is the clamp. For some reason, the bone on the back of my right ear gets really sore/painful after wearing the LCD-2 for a long time. I'm not quite sure the cause of this. Hopefully this goes away with use.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #3,083 of 18,459

Quote:
True, and I've fallen pray to a lot of these such as the HE-5 and T1...thoroughly being disappointed with both.  HD800 did have statospheric hype when first released, which thankfully has calmed down, but to my eyes for those who like the sound signature, they still are one of the top headphones out there.  As for the LCD-2, yes they are still new to the market, but to me they really do deserve all the praise that they are receiving.  They aren't the best headphone in the world that obsoletes all others, but they are still pretty darn great.

I had the opportunity to audition the T-1's with a few different sources and was not overly impressed until I ran it through the Red Wine. Did not want to take them off. If I could afford Vinnie's rig I would have bought those cans on the spot. True, the LCD-2's don't "obsolete all others"...but they are the best  
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #3,084 of 18,459
Quote:

Because we are basically sheep. Baaah!

Look at how there's 5 Top 40 stations in every major city, but very little Jazz or Modern Rock. Keepin' up wit da Jonses.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3,088 of 18,459
In the same price range, unbalanced, you may considerer the violectric V200.

11.6V and 27000mW into 50Ohms, you won't have problems of power with this amp.
Plus a damping factor of 800 into 50 Ohms and you are set as far as damping is concerned.
It's probably peak power though, but it should be largely enough.

Full specs at http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/technical-data.php

Quote:
I know this has been hashed over heaps - and I know that the LCD2 needs more current than damping.  The Lehmann BCL specs read like this:

Input impedance: 47 KOhms
Maximum gain: 0dB, 10dB, 20dB switchable underneath the unit
Frequency response: 10Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB)
Signal to noise ratio: >95dB at 0dB gain
THD: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms
Channel separation: >70dB/10kHz
Output power: 200mW/300 Ohms, 400mW/60 Ohms
Output impedance: line out 60 Ohms, phones out 5 Ohms
Power dissipation: <5W, internal, regulated power supply

I can see that it can pump 400mw into 60ohms which should be a little more for 50ohms - I don not know if this is continuous or peak, is it possible to derive this from the other numbers listed up?  More importantly - will it provide the current to drive the LCD2s to its optimum?

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3,089 of 18,459

Quote:

When you find an amp synergy, they are hard to shake... 

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #3,090 of 18,459

Quote:
Quote:

Because we are basically sheep. Baaah!

Look at how there's 5 Top 40 stations in every major city, but very little Jazz or Modern Rock. Keepin' up wit da Jonses.

That's what I call some wooly bass and shear highs...  sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back