Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jun 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #1,666 of 18,459
I think they will mail you when your pair is ready to ship (if you said you want to buy).

Quote:
I emailed Audeze via is contact form on the website a few days ago but then I receive no reply.  

So, even if I would like to buy one, I am not sure where is the best place to start.

F. Lo

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,667 of 18,459

Quote:
Pretty much, yes.  The LCD-2s are a non reactive 50 ohm load which means that they're principally current driven devices which do not mate well with the typical OTL amp as the output impedance is quite high, relatively speaking.  OTL's (Output Transformer-less) amps typically do well with higher impedance cans (320 to 600) ohms.

Thats interesting. My Little Dot MK11 does well with both my 701 and my Shure SRH840. My D7000 does not like the Little Dot, The Matrix drives all with no problems and sounds best but the Shure are 44ohm an it does well and handles the 701 as it was main amp until I bought the Matrix. I guess it depends on the cans.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #1,668 of 18,459

Quote:
Thats interesting. My Little Dot MK11 does well with both my 701 and my Shure SRH840. My D7000 does not like the Little Dot, The Matrix drives all with no problems and sounds best but the Shure are 44ohm an it does well and handles the 701 as it was main amp until I bought the Matrix. I guess it depends on the cans.

I also enjoyed the 701 with my LD3. As for the D7000, did you try to set the gain switches on their lowest setting, that is if the LD2 has them just like the LD3 does.

A question to all that heard the LCD-2 though. If you would recable them with a Moon Audio cable, which cable would you use, Silver-, Black- or Blue dragon?

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,669 of 18,459

Quote:
I also enjoyed the 701 with my LD3. As for the D7000, did you try to set the gain switches on their lowest setting, that is if the LD2 has them just like the LD3 does.

Thats a idea. The only problem is you need to open it to change the gain. It works well on the setting for both the 701 and 840. I probably should try that.

A question to all that heard the LCD-2 though. If you would recable them with a Moon Audio cable, which cable would you use, Silver-, Black- or Blue dragon?

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #1,670 of 18,459

Quote:

Im going for pure silver!  From homegrown audio though, with neutrik XX series 4-pin end.  

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #1,673 of 18,459

Quote:

You bet it depends on the cans.  You're dealing with impedance AND sensitivity / efficiency.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,675 of 18,459

Quote:
What do you expect that to do to the sound? (if anything?)

Best electrical conductor of any known metal, thats usually why I make all my cables silver.  Also I like to customize my stuff.  But lets save the whole do cables do anything debate for another time.  

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #1,676 of 18,459

Quote:
Oh that means these guys are doing something out there :)

They sound a little busy on the Audez'e side.  I contacted Alex about getting the new foam and to see the status on the grills to replace my ones that were scratched, and he anticipated it being a few more weeks before they could send it out.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #1,677 of 18,459
Are these limited production headphones? I'm thinking of buying a 1k pair of headphones as a graduation gift (hehe) and am looking at the LCD-2 and T1.

I can hear the T1 but am looking at the LCD-2 because it seems to sound (and look!) just how I want a headphone to sound.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #1,678 of 18,459

Quote:

I don't think Black Dragon would offer any sonic change or improvement.  It's essentially a star quad type cable like the one on them stock, but without the sheath and shield, so it's a step down, IMHO.  It might be a little more flexible, but that's about it.  Blue Dragon, well, if your ears can hear the improvement of the PC-OCC copper vs. Canare Star Quad, you have better ears than mine (and much better source and cables).  That leaves Silver Dragon.  The silver signature will be audible.  I just don't like sheathed and heat-shrinked cables though. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #1,680 of 18,459

Quote:
I did not get to hear the LCD-2s on the Sonett, but I did bring up a set of Fostex T40RPs to hear the Neko DAC that was attached to the Sonett.  The Sonett struggled to drive the T40s, which are modded, but weren't hugely dampened.  I had to go to 8 on the volume to get a nice volume and some slam.  I think the LCD-2s will fair better, but I suspect you would be at the top of pot range in the 7-9 category except when trying to listen at low volume, then you be at least 4-6 range.  It certainly isn't a mediocre amp, but it just didn't do much for me.  With orthos it's just too polite, too reserved for my tastes. 

Plus, well, I'm not quite as spoiled as Sachu quantity wise, but I drank the Cavalli Audio wine a while ago.  I'm still drunk and going back for my third bottle soon. 
beerchug.gif
  So my comparisons and thoughts were based on the LCD-2s off the Liquid Fire.

Thanks for your impressions, I appreciate them
smile_phones.gif
. Looks like I'll be buying a solid state amp at some point.. Silly me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back