Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
May 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #421 of 18,459
How about a pared down version without the box (gimme cardboard any day) and using cheaper cables (these are Mogami right? Not exactly cheap from what I know) to be sold at 600-700USD? I might be wrong, but even at that price, you should have enough margin left over to recoup R&D (especially since you will be selling more)...

May 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #422 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a pared down version without the box (gimme cardboard any day) and using cheaper cables (these are Mogami right? Not exactly cheap from what I know) to be sold at 600-700USD? I might be wrong, but even at that price, you should have enough margin left over to recoup R&D (especially since you will be selling more)...

People would complain about getting a cardboard box with expensive headphones....

May 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #423 of 18,459
it's a fair price, relatively that is. too bad they don't seem to be offering
any return policy of any kind... where do i sign up?

May 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #424 of 18,459
Now that price is steep!

Even so I don't give a damn about the cable being Mogami or Shoodilidoo. And if the box is not wood, but something like cardboard, foam, or plastic in the way of STAX HPs, I wouldn't complain.

May 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #425 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's a fair price, relatively that is. too bad they don't seem to be offering
any return policy of any kind... where do i sign up?

There is a form lower down on their information page about the LCD-2
LCD-2 :: Audeze

Mogami cable isn't that expensive really. Why go cheaper than that?

May 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #426 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...As for the price, it is not unexpected even though we had all been hoping for that $700 figure...

i can't speak for you, but the sticker shock feels pretty real on this end, especially considering that the $650 figure had been bandied about for months now with no indication from Audeze that this had drastically changed.

personally, the high-end, "luxury" packaging -- and the price tag that comes with it -- doesn't appeal at all, and seems out of character for a company that put out the ugly LCD-1, purportedly placing sonics and engineering ahead of any aesthetic consideration.

i, like others, would settle for some bubble wrap and styro peanuts, and an intro price for early adopters, so these can get into as many hands as possible.

May 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #427 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't speak for you, but the sticker shock feels pretty real on this end, especially considering that the $650 figure had been bandied about for months now with no indication from Audeze that this had drastically changed.

personally, the high-end, "luxury" packaging -- and the price tag that comes with it -- doesn't appeal at all, and seems out of character for a company that put out the ugly LCD-1, purportedly placing sonics and engineering ahead of any aesthetic consideration.

i, like others, would settle for some bubble wrap and styro peanuts, and an intro price for early adopters, so these can get into as many hands as possible.

They did make an intro headphone for early adopters with no luxury extras, except for the headphone bag.

May 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #428 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't pin the increase on price on the improvement in packaging. The intent as far as I know was always to include a nice wooden box and fancy packaging etc., even when the expected price was in the $650-700 range. My guess is that the Audeze guys have spent more than initially expected on R&D (given the 7-8 month lag between the "debut" of the LCD-2 at RMAF and their actual release) and potentially that their actual production costs and costs of goods have increased as the product has gotten more refined from iteration to iteration, and have had to increase price to recoup all these things.

May 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #429 of 18,459
Well, this is surprising. I will have to hold off this purchase for at least a few months (if only to gather up the funds).

At the very least, it will give me time to read on the impressions, reviews and the unavoidable comparaisons with the HE-5.

May 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #430 of 18,459
Your getting substantial engineering (at least on the surface), and you don't need to run off to purchase an aftermarket cable. I can't think of a phone lately where the supplied cable seems an after-thought (while offering miserable performance).

The box isn't custom, and I imagine is supplied from overseas (almost certainly). Also, I would be surprised if it is lending much to the cost of the package. People were bitching about the PS1000 and having to purchase the Grado wooden box separately not long ago (if you remember). I have one of those boxes (I modified one for my two HP-2's) and it ain't special despite it's cost (mine had a scratch on top and bad finish on one side), and it was like $60.00 + shipping.

The HE-5 wasn't out three months and had loads of drive-ability problems AND with inconsistencies in manufacture. This spawned a need for a whole new model.

These have been refined a bit from prototype and haven't been rushed into production...I would like to hear them!

May 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #431 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't pin the increase on price on the improvement in packaging. The intent as far as I know was always to include a nice wooden box and fancy packaging etc., even when the expected price was in the $650-700 range. My guess is that the Audeze guys have spent more than initially expected on R&D (given the 7-8 month lag between the "debut" of the LCD-2 at RMAF and their actual release) and potentially that their actual production costs and costs of goods have increased as the product has gotten more refined from iteration to iteration, and have had to increase price to recoup all these things.

sure, i'm not naive enough to believe that the packaging accounts entirely for the price increase. i'm only suggesting that it's not helping.

May 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #432 of 18,459
Price too high for an unproven manufacturer, I can get a used HD800 for that or a little more. I'll be going with the HE5-LE.

This is why its never a good idea to release pricing hints until absolutely sure... the $300 extra is killer and really upsetting.

May 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #433 of 18,459
Lol. You use a cheap cardboard box, headfiers complain. You use a nice wooden box and headfiers complain. You can't win around here!

I personally could care less if the headphones themselves were made of cardboard, if they sounded good, and would last. So I would prefer cardboard box. But I think Audeze definitely made the right decision what with all the hundreds of grado pizza box complaints and the huge HD800 plastic thread. For some people value doesn't come from the sound alone but from the luxury and I think audeze made the right call in catering to that. Even though I can't afford them.

May 3, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #434 of 18,459
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price too high for an unproven manufacturer, I can get a used HD800 for that or a little more. I'll be going with the HE5-LE.

This is why its never a good idea to release pricing hints until absolutely sure... the $300 extra is killer and really upsetting.

I agree.
With no policy return as well.
I'd rather spend my money for the hd800 or the T1.

May 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #435 of 18,459
but those are just dynamic
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back