Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #13,726 of 18,459
Quote:
You were the one who guessed it.
wink.gif
what, no solo and iPod to finish out the bundle?
biggrin.gif

Or perhaps the Audeze RWA :¬)

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #13,731 of 18,459
Apple pays for that product placement publicity. There could be LCD-2's in there. Although the weight restrictions on the shuttle are tight. :D
I kept waiting to see some video of an Audez'e travel case being unloaded into the space station, but the giveaway is pretty cool.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #13,734 of 18,459

Quote:
Meh, Twitter... I expected them to unveil their "speakers", whatever those may be.

Just take apart the headband construction, and tape both drivers to cardboard boxes with holes cut in them.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #13,735 of 18,459
I would totally consider their speakers if they looked the same as the headphones, except being... 48" in diameter or something. 
normal_smile .gif

I'll admit, the look of the LCD-2 was what got me interested in the first place.  After doing some research, the impressions I read regarding its sound made it a no-brainer for me.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #13,736 of 18,459
Maybe three days I don't check this thread, and suddenly the page count explodes! At least I found out about Rev.2. And hamsters (is Kia sponsoring this thread?)

My original phones failed 5-31-11, after exactly two months ownership, and thus were Gen.1 (or Rev.1 if you prefer.) Got the new ones a full three weeks later. My initial, right off the bat, impression was of a brighter, more illuminated and slightly more detailed top end. In other words, a bit more like electrostatics but with true clout at the low freqs. All neatly explained by the new drivers being rev.2s, since confirmed by email from the mothership.

My pair is only two serial #s off from another Head-fier who has posted graphs, and was tested 6-16-11. If Audeze had handled my return more efficiently, I might have gotten the previous drivers. Silver lining, I guess.

Bottom line, I am happy to have the rev.2, and find the treble pleasing rather than threatening. Perhaps the Golden Lion (new Russian prod.) tubes in the Lyr help, though even with solid state I never found the LCD-2s to be over-trebled.

In reference to questions asked earlier on the thread - the first album I play through any new gear is Hounds of Love by Kate Bush (1997 EMI UK remaster.)

And my first encounter with the LCD-2s was a picture and review tease in The Absolute Sound in Feb. "I gotta have those," was my involuntary thought. Does that make me shallow? Or was it a case of You CAN Judge a Book by Its Cover. (Stop me, before I cliche again.)

As to burn-in, as opposed to your brain/ears becoming accustomed to a component, in my experience it's real but not a constant. My Triangle speakers sounded like X-ray machines when first played, and took probably 300 hours to smooth out and settle in. With most electronics, changes are too subtle for me to notice. YMMV, and if the factory does it, like Audeze, it will most likely be a non-issue. My new LCD-2 pair hasn't changed that I've noticed after more than 40 hours. Time to go do more research, methinks...

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #13,737 of 18,459

Quote:
I would totally consider their speakers if they looked the same as the headphones, except being... 48" in diameter or something. 
normal_smile .gif

I'll admit, the look of the LCD-2 was what got me interested in the first place.  After doing some research, the impressions I read regarding its sound made it a no-brainer for me.

Heh it was the opposite for me. The reviews sounded like exactly what I wanted, but I put it off for ages because I couldn't stand the look.

Quote:
Just take apart the headband construction, and tape both drivers to cardboard boxes with holes cut in them.

Brilliant! Now I'll have myself a boombox!

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #13,738 of 18,459
I did a ton of research before buying.  I had it narrowed down to the LCD2 vs HE5LE.  I loved the look of the LCD2's (except for the open cell foam)...so I bought 'em and never looked back. I received my Rev. 1 in early April.  I immediately asked Sankar and Alex for a leather headband.  A couple weeks later Alex emailed me and said he was working on one.  I ordered the leather headband and an extra set of ear pads just a couple days before they announced Rev.2.  I have not received these items, yet, but I love what they came up with!

LCD2's are wonderful and beautiful, to me.  I'll wait for LCD3 unless my LCD2's stop working.  I've had them playing constantly for the last 96 hours and have approximately 300 hours on them, total.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #13,739 of 18,459
Quote:
I don't know any other headphone that inspires owners passions more than this one. I actually feel really privileged to be able to own a pair!
regular_smile .gif

P.S. ... can you make a smiley with LCD's we are lacking them in the smileys!

Check this out: 

The LCD-2 have such character:

More of my LCD-2 pics are on my LCD-2 review and in the LCD-2 photo album on my profile page. 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back