Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Oct 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #5,761 of 18,459
You must listen at some pretty insane levels...enough to damage your hearing.  No wonder you like the Jade  
very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

What's the output level of your source though?

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #5,762 of 18,459
On my KGSS I have the volume turned up to three notches from silent AT MOST before it's almost deafening with the O2mk1.

I'm using 4ch DACT instead of the standard dual control on mine. Also the Cambridge 840C makes everything louder when in balanced mode.

One thing is sure. My setup has plenty of "vavoom."

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #5,763 of 18,459
One thing that really shocked me at CanJam in particular was the volume level people listen at.  Supposedly I listen at really low volumes, but it was not uncommon at all to pick up a pair of headphones after somebody was done listening and feeling actual discomfort when I'd play a song and the headphones would blast.  I don't know how people can listen like that, haha.  I was at one meet where people were listening to the HD800 in the next room and I thought they were listening to speakers because it was so loud.  Maybe I've just taken good care of my ears over the years?

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #5,764 of 18,459

Quote:
You must listen at some pretty insane levels...enough to damage your hearing.  No wonder you like the Jade  
very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

What's the output level of your source though?

Quote:
On my KGSS I have the volume turned up to three notches from silent AT MOST before it's almost deafening with the O2mk1.

I'm using 4ch DACT instead of the standard dual control on mine. Also the Cambridge 840C makes everything louder when in balanced mode.

One thing is sure. My setup has plenty of "vavoom."

No, quite the opposite actually. I listen at around 10:00 on most of my amps. I am 51 and want to enjoy this hobby for years to come.

I bought my KGSS in 2004-5 and a lot of people complained about the lack of gain. Perhaps, it was taken under advisory and the gain was boosted on models in years to come. I think that DannnyandElyse still has that model that I sold to him and he can chime in.  
It was sterile and lacked potency. Lot's of people sold them for this very reason. My Cary had an output 0f 1.5V single ended and 2+V balanced.

@n3rdling, What do you mean, no wonder you like the Jade? This statement tells me that you are not crazy about them. Is this true?

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #5,765 of 18,459

Quote:
One thing that really shocked me at CanJam in particular was the volume level people listen at.  Supposedly I listen at really low volumes, but it was not uncommon at all to pick up a pair of headphones after somebody was done listening and feeling actual discomfort when I'd play a song and the headphones would blast.  I don't know how people can listen like that, haha.  I was at one meet where people were listening to the HD800 in the next room and I thought they were listening to speakers because it was so loud.  Maybe I've just taken good care of my ears over the years?

Just don't ever follow Ray Samuels when auditioning a headphone before turning down the knob. He listens at super insane lessons.
eek.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #5,766 of 18,459
Im not sure if there is any relevance to this, but I have noticed a lot of people that listen to Electrostat setups seem to prefer lower volume listening levels....anyone out there with stat setups to prove me wrong here?  

fyi I am not trying to prove any kind of agenda or point here, just something I honestly noticed.  

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #5,767 of 18,459
Indeed I really don't like the Jade.  To be fair I've only heard them at meets.  Taking that into account though, I thought they might be the worst electrostat I've ever heard...maybe worse than the lowly SR5 which is about $100. I can't say I remember all that much about them, but they were extremely diffuse (more diffuse than the HE90 or any Lambda) and the FR was not really to my liking.  A typical "can only listen to female jazz vocals with a piano, upright bass, and drums played with brushes" system.  I've heard it on the BH, A10, and ES2.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #5,769 of 18,459
Quote:
Indeed I really don't like the Jade.  To be fair I've only heard them at meets.  Taking that into account though, I thought they might be the worst electrostat I've ever heard...maybe worse than the lowly SR5 which is about $100. I can't say I remember all that much about them, but they were extremely diffuse (more diffuse than the HE90 or any Lambda) and the FR was not really to my liking.  A typical "can only listen to female jazz vocals with a piano, upright bass, and drums played with brushes" system.  I've heard it on the BH, A10, and ES2.

A bold statement. To each his own.

Stats are incredibly detailed when done right, and there is no need to raise up the volume.

I don't remember who it was, but at my meet last spring, this member was listening to a pair of HD800s so loud, that everyone stopped what they were doing, and we all just looked at him. I honestly think that he didn't have a clue why 70 people were staring him down at the same time. It was both hilarious and bothersome at the same time. I was ready to break out a pair of wire cutters and secretly snip his AC cord. He was ruining it for everybody. We could have used Yikes to walk up to him, block his light, catch his atention, and say "Dude, turn down your headphones".
It was the antithesis of a quiet hour. 
The scary thing was, I don't think that they were his 800's.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #5,773 of 18,459

Quote:

Guess what I got today?!?!?!!  surprised I had the patience to take pictures without instantly ripping it open. Very very well packed.

Congrats!  It looks like they may have changed the mini xlr metal housings slightly?  It appears that yours extrude farther down than mine, possibly due to the fact that their stock cable mini xlrs (rean branded) seemed to get stuck sometimes or be more of a tight fit?  This is just a guess.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back