Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 31, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #17,446 of 18,459
This is a 3" PMD which is typically used as a midrange/tweeter in a full range speaker. Sure it can reproduce a 100Hz but how far down in db?

It's still one of the largest headphone driver produced. Besides with speakers the drivers radiate in a room and with headphones the drivers are coupled with the ear. It's a very different situation.

Just got my lcd2 rev 1. unfortunately they're only powered by a fiio e7/e9 combo :/ the sound is great but i seem to have some problems with the earpads. They feel very stiff and i have trouble keeping the headphones on my head. if i look down (such as when im reading a book) the headphones will slide down my head and the pressure on the front portions of the earpads increase, making them feel uncomfortable. anybody has a solution to this?

Simply rotate the cups so that the headband sits further back on your head, the sound will change a bit though.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #17,447 of 18,459
For those who want to hear the true power of the LCD2, check out the comparison chart of the Zodiac DACs now on the front page of Head-fi. The Zodiac Gold is a beautiful piece of art with absolutely astrounding sound even straight from its headphone out without preamp, and is near-future proof with 384 decoding capability. I would have bought it  but I already have the Esoteric K-01.  

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #17,449 of 18,459

Quote:
You are not alone. It is shy in sub-bass although its graph shows it has a flat curve straight down to whatever Hz level. I argued with people here who all denied that the LCD2's low bass is weak and even Jude said I may have a pair of defective LCD2s.  

The LCD2 fails to take into account the diminishing hearing ability of human beings as frequency goes down. Therefore the flatness of the curve is exactly the reason why the sub-bass is so weak.  Its "mid bass" is actaully very good and "meaty" as people here put it, but when it comes to sub-bass any of my other headphone and most of my IEMs  do a better job. The lack of sub-bass of the LCD2 is aggravated by the "meaty" upper bass which further hides the already weak sub-bass. That said, you get better results with proper amping - with the Stepdance operating at 15V, the sub bass seems to have improved quite a bit. I also heard the Rev 2 has tighter bass so you may want to try that out as well if you are using the Rev 1.

you have summed up what i have been suspecting very well.. i have had the same experience with IEM's and other headpones -  even drastically cheaper one's, that you are describing as well.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #17,450 of 18,459
That must be a different physics.

What do you mean? The LCD-2 are actually flat, as in a drop of 0.5 dB down to 20 Hz, they don't need to produce bass for a room, but just for the ear cavity.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #17,451 of 18,459

Quote:
I know i posted about this before, but i need some feedback before i start wondering what is wrong with my hearing... :wink:

though i cant imagine what it would be, I really am starting to question whether my LCD-2's have a defect.

here's my current rig
ipod touch 4g all lossless music, LOD to sr71b on high gain, rsa balanced out to my LCD-2's

i am simply amazed at the lack of bass and sub bass they are producing. 
For instance i can listen to rap or dubstep songs for , that would otherwise be SLAMMING and the bass is simply non existant.. no impact and certainly nothing even approaching visceral. whatsoever.   Even with normal music i dont feel much of anything in the sub bass department that seems "normal" to me unless i heavily eq....

only when i take extreme measures  adding 12db to everything about 80hz and below with an eq app do i start to get even "normal" results. 

Am I really such a basshead?

ok.. so i just did a test.

i took my clip+, and a pair of free sony ear buds (not iems, earbuds) that came with an old phone.. using no eq  i played a dubstep song that has mad bass.
then i went back to my non eq'd lcd-2's  
the earbuds had far more bass and sub bass visceral impact than the LCD-2's

what gives?

I probably would recommend to EQ away if thats the case.  Your LCD-2 is definitely not broken - thats just the way it sounds - not really designed for electronic music.  I can say that the R2 definitely has very tight and detailed bass, and that it is almost exactly as loud as R1 (from listening tests) but neither, without EQ, will give you that "fun" level of bass and sub-bass to do justice to bass heavy electronic music.  There are perhaps other headphones that produce more sub bass relative to mid bass and midrage, like XB700 or possibly D7000 etc - but for most people these have too much bass and sub bass.  Purely from FR graphs I can find few other headphones with more of a sub bass emphasis - especially at this end of the market.  Just find a good EQ solution, or maybe try sending Audez'e a letter 
biggrin.gif
 jokes

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #17,453 of 18,459
Let's see, 1130ft/sec/100Hz = 11.3ft, that's the wavelength of a 100Hz. You need a room with at least that dimension to hear a true 100Hz, let alone a speaker that can reproduce it.

Are you quite sure? A 50 Hz sine sounds pretty much the same to my ears whether they are played by headphones or a subwoofer in a room.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #17,454 of 18,459
Hearing is not the same as calculating. Like I said before, there are harmonics. Now if you listen to a true 100Hz tone in room that absorbs all frequencies except the 100Hz tone then you would know what a 100Hz sounds like.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #17,455 of 18,459

Quote:
Let's see, 1130ft/sec/100Hz = 11.3ft, that's the wavelength of a 100Hz. You need a room with at least that dimension to hear a true 100Hz, let alone a speaker that can reproduce it.

This is always the formula I think about when I hear the thumping coming from someones car.  The occupants never realizes there is no bass actually happening in the car itself.  Its all second , third and fourth harmonics.  Mostly the amplitudes of the upper harmonics.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #17,456 of 18,459
So if we consider earbuds and that the enclosure they form with the ear is about 1 cm wide, we can conclude that we are not truly hearing anything below 34000 Hz :eek:

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #17,459 of 18,459
wuwhere, nice to see that you are using Oppo 95 as source. Really a nice piece of gear. Dedicated Stereo output and power supply. If you get a separate DAC you can use it as media transport (using its USB / ESATA). Not to mention its top notch Blu-ray playback ability which is second to none in the market. Not even the early Pioneer flagship player can match its playback quality, not to mention the big difference in disc loading speed. Must be a good companion for the LCD2 too.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #17,460 of 18,459
Who is them?

And please explain to me how a diaphragm vibrating at 50 Hz doesn't result into a 50 Hz sound wave and why the variation of pressure at 50 Hz doesn't register on the eardrum. And please explain to me:

Hearing is not the same as calculating. Like I said before, there are harmonics. Now if you listen to a true 100Hz tone in room that absorbs all frequencies except the 100Hz tone then you would know what a 100Hz sounds like.

According to the same logic, with a 1 cm deep enclose between your ear and earbuds, you can only hear the harmonic of a 34000 Hz signal, which would be inaudible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back