Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #16,486 of 18,459

Quote:
Cross-quoting this here from the custom cable gallery instead of the aftermarket cable thread because of the internal pictures and wiring, and what a fantastic job Parrots has done.

If anybody has not heard of the Crystal Piccolino wire, it's definitely the most expensive boutique wire I've ever heard of. Here is Jaben's description of it:

"Crystal uses a unique silver and gold combination which helps deliver better sound and signals.
The very pure silver Crystal uses has a crystal structure. That means by solidification of the metal, you get round-shaped crystal boundaries touching each other, buy having "bad places" where they don't touch.
These bad gaps are filled/injected with gold, which is the only metal that can be used for this.
It makes the way of the electric signal smooth and in time again."

I've been thinking of a mod like that for a few weeks now, ever since I saw a photo of the LCD insides.  I thought the wiring could be improved AND those connectors.  But I figured best to wait until the day the warranty runs out!  Didn't know someone was already doing something like that.   

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #16,488 of 18,459

Quote:
Public urination is neither encouraged nor allowed 'round these parts.

confused_face_2.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #16,490 of 18,459

Quote:
It's the opposite for me. I rue the fact a lot of the (particularly contemporary) stuff I listen to is rendered without compromise by the rev.2. The upside though is that great recordings are faithfully portrayed with a transparent and natural quality, without the cold and analytical flavour I tend to avoid. In a way it's dictated my listening habits of late, but exploring unfamiliar genres and the discovery of great recordings has been immensely rewarding.

This brings up another aspect of Rev1 v. Rev2. A lot of my recordings are older material, even as far back as the early 50s (though all in stereo). I'm as happy as the next guy to have a HP that makes my best recordings sound as good as they possibly can, but I also have to keep an eye on how it makes my less good material. After all, this hobby isn't--or shouldn't be--about sitting down to listen to demonstration-quality material just to luxuriate in the sound, but about getting the whole gamut of your chosen genre(s) to sound as good as they possibly can, even if that means sacrificing the last degree of clarity on your best recordings. Or that's my goal anyway.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #16,491 of 18,459
That's exactly why I kept my Rev 1. It is very forgiving to bad recordings. Don't think the Rev 2 can do the same.

Quote:

This brings up another aspect of Rev1 v. Rev2. A lot of my recordings are older material, even as far back as the early 50s (though all in stereo). I'm as happy as the next guy to have a HP that makes my best recordings sound as good as they possibly can, but I also have to keep an eye on how it makes my less good material. After all, this hobby isn't--or shouldn't be--about sitting down to listen to demonstration-quality material just to luxuriate in the sound, but about getting the whole gamut of your chosen genre(s) to sound as good as they possibly can, even if that means sacrificing the last degree of clarity on your best recordings. Or that's my goal anyway.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #16,492 of 18,459

Quote:
Just got mines today! Only sad part is their paired with a Fiio E9... Being a college student sure is tough :frowning2:  Not sure if I have the ribbon or round cable though. Also was wondering if burn-in does anything to the cans?

Don't underestimate the E9. It's a very capable performer that seems to match the LCD-2 very well. I prefer my Lyr, but have played the LCD-2's for a friend who prefers the E9 (with L7).

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #16,493 of 18,459

Quote:
I've been thinking of a mod like that for a few weeks now, ever since I saw a photo of the LCD insides.  I thought the wiring could be improved AND those connectors.  But I figured best to wait until the day the warranty runs out!  Didn't know someone was already doing something like that. 

I'm a fan of Parrot's work; he has posted many portable projects and is just getting into full-size gear now, always top notch. Obviously he wasn't concerned with the warranty issue
cool.gif

Quote:
Dude, the Piccolino cable is more expensive than the LCD2 itself...

Yes with Jaben's pricing that cable would triple the value of the LCD-2, not counting the rewiring of the internal driver connections.

I would love to be able to listen to his rewired ver.2 compared to a stock one (also compared to a ver.1) out of a Liquid Fire
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #16,495 of 18,459

Quote:

pp312 are you still trying to talk yourself out of upgrading to the r.2?  
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #16,496 of 18,459

Quote:

I'm a fan of Parrot's work; he has posted many portable projects and is just getting into full-size gear now, always top notch. Obviously he wasn't concerned with the warranty issue
cool.gif

Yes with Jaben's pricing that cable would triple the value of the LCD-2, not counting the rewiring of the internal driver connections.

I would love to be able to listen to his rewired ver.2 compared to a stock one (also compared to a ver.1) out of a Liquid Fire
beerchug.gif

My hat is off to the Parrot!  I wonder what the total cost of that mod is?

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #16,497 of 18,459

Quote:
MH, do you find your Rev2 fatiguing at all?

I still find a stridency that wears me down fairly quickly. It's there in both good recordings and bad. Not huge, but ever present.

Duckman I don't hear any stridency at all with my r.2's and I just upgraded to an aftermarket cable and the r.2's sound even better than they did before. Spooky better, which was an improvement I did not expect to happen.  I wonder if there is something going on in your system somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back