Audez'e LCD-2 design update
Apr 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #106 of 137

Sorry I don't have a pic.  Here is one of the phones so people know what I'm talking about.  You can see that the headband attaches forward of center, applying more pressure to the front of the headphones than the back.  The elastic headbands I'm referring to are like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Grip-Neutral-Headwraps/dp/B001T8OEH2/ref=pd_sim_bt_5

Since the yokes slip out of the wood I just loop each end of the headband around each side of the yoke on the back side, so the headband sits on the back of my head while I'm wearing them.  You don't really notice it.  I'll try and get a pic up tonight.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #107 of 137

Sorry I don't have a pic.  Here is one of the phones so people know what I'm talking about.  You can see that the headband attaches forward of center, applying more pressure to the front of the headphones than the back.  The elastic headbands I'm referring to are like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Grip-Neutral-Headwraps/dp/B001T8OEH2/ref=pd_sim_bt_5

Since the yokes slip out of the wood I just loop each end of the headband around each side of the yoke on the back side, so the headband sits on the back of my head while I'm wearing them.  You don't really notice it.  I'll try and get a pic up tonight.

The line doesn't look straight but you are right, it is attached front forward. Looks like the distance from front edge to the center pivot is not the same as rear to the center.

I never noticed that, this is why I am getting the frontal clamping. Worst design than I thought. :xf_eek:

I was planning to even the ear pads but that is not going to work, hmmmm. I should make front ear pad thicker then. :)

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #108 of 137
Anyone ever tried rotating the the pads, so the elevated backs will be positioned to the now front.
Then swapping  the connections left to right (to maintain the forward sound staging), this should now place the clamping pressure from forward of center to the Rear of center.

Anyone? 

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #109 of 137

Quote:
I was planning to even the ear pads but that is not going to work, hmmmm. I should make front ear pad thicker then. :)

Did you not read rhythmdevils's post? The ear pads are shaped that way to angle the drivers forward against your ear. HD 800 has the driver angled instead. If you flatten the ear pads on the LCD-2/3 you will very likely loose a lot of soundstage depth and definition. Don't do it :p 

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #110 of 137

Did you not read rhythmdevils's post? The ear pads are shaped that way to angle the drivers forward against your ear. HD 800 has the driver angled instead. If you flatten the ear pads on the LCD-2/3 you will very likely loose a lot of soundstage depth and definition. Don't do it :p 

Haha, I guess you did not read my post then, yes I am aware of the angled driver, for me comfort comes first than the sound stage.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #112 of 137
Eh ?

How would reversing the connections left to right maintain a forward soundstage
confused.gif

Quote:
Anyone ever tried rotating the the pads, so the elevated backs will be positioned to the now front.
Then swapping  the connections left to right (to maintain the forward sound staging), this should now place the clamping pressure from forward of center to the Rear of center.

Anyone? 

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #113 of 137
Anyone know what the value of bamboo composite in relative to rosewood?  I did a small research and found out that chechen rosewood is about half or a third less than zebrawood on LCD-3.  No info on the bamboo.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #114 of 137
Quote:
Anyone know what the value of bamboo composite in relative to rosewood?  I did a small research and found out that chechen rosewood is about half or a third less than zebrawood on LCD-3.  No info on the bamboo.

It's probably fairly cheap, but as a general rule, engineered woods (MDF, bamboo composites...) have better mechanical properties than natural woods.
Personally, I like the bamboo version more than the Rosewood version from an aesthetic pov, the surface finish of the rosewood version isn't nearly close to perfection, but from the posted pictures, the finish of the bamboo version is quite smooth.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #116 of 137
Personally I think the old rosewood looks better, but its hard to argue against improved quality.  I suppose I'll go for the new bamboo when they have it back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back