Audez'e LCD-2 design update
Mar 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137

keithc

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been waiting for my LCD-2s to arrive since placing an order in early February, and just got this update from my excellent dealer today -- I haven't seen this posted on a brief search, so perhaps it might be of interest to some of you:

------ Copy from forwarded email from dealer -------

[size=22.5pt]Hello Audez'e Dealer Network,[/size]

[size=13.5pt]Our sincerest apologies for the long delay and lack of updates from Audeze. Over the course of the past few months we’ve relocated to combine manufacturing processes and have had to deal with shortages of certain headphone components.   [/size]

[size=13.5pt]Our current wood rings, made out of Caribbean Rosewood, have resulted in long delays as the certified wood is quite frequently in short supply. As such, we’ve decided to modify production of the LCD2 to allow us to be better able to fill orders. We have opted to change our standard LCD2 product to now also include a new variation - darkly stained bamboo composite. This newly designed wood ring is stronger, lighter, looks gorgeous and is a quickly renewable (green) resource.   [/size]

[size=13.5pt]Furthermore, we have found the structural integrity of our wood ring design to come under undue stress, which has resulted in a small percentage of wood rings to split. To eliminate this issue, we are adopting the metal connector housing design implemented in our higher-end LCD3 line.[/size]

[size=13.5pt]All pricing will remain the same, and while we will still offer Caribbean Rosewood as an option, due to the shortage of supply of the wood, the lead time to deliver these will increase to 2-3 weeks. Additionally, we will also be discontinuing the sale of the metal headband option and are only able to offer the ruggedized travel case.[/size]

[size=13.5pt]This change in wood ring design as well as upgrading to the bamboo composite will offer us the ability to offer significantly more stock in upcoming months. Due to these changes in production, our LCD2 supply will be delayed by 3 weeks. Again, we apologize for this delay, but are working diligently to be able to meet your needs. An updated price book will be sent to all dealers next week. [/size]

[size=13.5pt]We will be sending out a full electronic press kit with photos of the newly redesigned LCD2 rings along with detailed information regarding the benefits of the upgraded wood.   For those with open orders your patrons may wait for the Caribbean Rosewood option (currently not in stock) or be the first to use what we consider a much more desirable wood.[/size]

Sincerely,

Alexander Rosson

--------------------------------------------------------

I could not find any information online about this, or of any announcements on the Audeze website. Would love to hear if any of you have any news / photos on this.

Best regards,
keithc

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 137
It seems like you're the first one to know? (or at least post it on public) i didn't know about any design changes on their lineup. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 137
Jesus that means they're selling WAY too many of these even at $899 to run out of WOOD which is something I thought there was always plenty of, even if it was exotic tonewood like rosewood.

I had no idea LCD-2's were that popular!

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 137
Thats kind of...impressive? Sounds like Audez'e is doing great, I'm happy for them seeing as they are great sounding cans. 
floatsmile.png

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 137
Yay! I'm pleased they are correcting the design. Can't wait to see what the new wood looks like.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 137
LCD2 Rev 3 lets see which one is top dog...

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 137
Great news about the metal connectors and new wood option for the LCD2s. Bad news about no longer offering the wooden box 
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 137
I for one got an LCD-2 from Woo Audio in December that is working just great. I am happy as I like the design.

[size=13.5pt]Furthermore, we have found the structural integrity of our wood ring design to come under undue stress, which has resulted in a small percentage of wood rings to split. To eliminate this issue, we are adopting the metal connector housing design implemented in our higher-end LCD3 line.[/size]

Are they going to be the angled ones like the LCD-3? 
biggrin.gif
confused_face(1).gif
mad.gif

Quote:
LCD2 Rev 3 lets see which one is top dog...

I get what you're saying, but is this considered a Rev. 3 with no change in driver? 
blink.gif

Quote:
Yay! I'm pleased they are correcting the design. Can't wait to see what the new wood looks like.

I googled "darkly stained bamboo composite" and this came up. Like the darkness. Will give them an edge, huh?

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 137
Different wood, it will sound different.

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 137

Quote:
Different wood, it will sound different.

By coincidence, I talked to their CTO (when I asked his name, he said just call him Dr. C.) yesterday.  He said the different woods were just cosmetic and not for changing the sound.  According to him, they did not want the housing to resonate so that you're only hearing the driver.  I dunno much about such things, but that is what he said.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 137
I seriously doubt it will have any effect on SQ.  The wood is on the outside, and it's a tiny little strip.  All the contact points with the driver and backwave are metal.  And even if it came into contact more than it does, I don't think it would change much.  I don't even think going from wood to plastic would change the SQ.  At least not very much, all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back