Audez'e LCD-2 design update
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #76 of 137
I dunno...looking at a section of the bamboo, yeah, maybe not so pretty but even my Caribbean Rosewood housings didn't look that great in spots.  But sitting on my headphone stand or holding it up to examine it from all angles, the overall look was pretty impressive.

It's a matter of taste or preference, I guess.  But I gotta say, I wish they would put those black (or make 'em brown) connector housings on the LCD-3s.  I'm not a fan of the chrome.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Cla55clown is right, we're talking grass here, but people have done amazing things with the stuff in the past...

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #80 of 137
Quote:
Don't see any wood there. Now they're selling a thousand dollar headphone constructed partially of GRASS.

At the risk of sounding pedantic...

I just looked it up and what are commonly known as "trees" are actually a polyphyletic (i.e. artificial) grouping.  Definitions of "wood" also appear similarly vague so I'm not seeing much of a reason to exclude bamboo myself.

Also, in case you didn't know, cladistics is fun!

EDIT: spelling

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #81 of 137
They're not constructing a $1000 headphone out of grass; they're constructing a $1000 headphone out of a grass by-product that has been used in construction and scaffolding to support human lives for a long time. I have a sneaking suspicion its durability will be better than the wood on the previous LCD-2 that was prone to splitting and cracking.

Have you seen adult bamboo? It's huge, and it bends in the wind and remains resilient. Impressive stuff.

As for the finish on the LCD-2 itself... I like it! Here are some slightly more flattering shots from ALO (click for larger sizes):

I'll most likely be picking one of these up for myself, since I never had a rev. 2.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #82 of 137
Those shots actually make it look nice. It has sort of a chess board look to it.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #83 of 137
The other pictures on the ALO site look quite good. My impression is that the spotty look of the wood up close might bother some people, but I think it's pretty refined looking from afar. Personally, I quite enjoy the look of the new design. It looks every bit as refined as the rosewood to me, but in a different sense (more "modern", I guess?). I think it might be a coin toss for me. It does look awful refined though... And to reiterate everybody else's sentiments, those black connectors look classy (and will fix cracking, I would wager).

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #84 of 137
Looking at the new design, I'm glad I have the rosewood with carved connectors. The new design just doesn't have the artisan, timeless feel, especially with the plasticky looking new angled connectors (regardless of what material they are actually made of). The wood looks spotty and cheap upon inspection.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #88 of 137

Quote:
I am currently using a grado rs1, anyone know if LCD-2 worth an upgrade?  Thanks

Not if you like the RS-1. RS-1 sound is tight, fast and musical. You'd probably find the LCD-2 is kinda slow, diffuse, dark (esp. the bottom end) and musical.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #90 of 137

Quote:
Not if you like the RS-1. RS-1 sound is tight, fast and musical. You'd probably find the LCD-2 is kinda slow, diffuse, dark (esp. the bottom end) and musical.

They might sound that way to someone used to the RS1, but the LCD-2 is just as fast.  But I agree, not a good upgrade, they have opposite signatures in every way except for small soundstage, and warm vocals. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back