Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #511 of 883
I find that purchasing without trying is adding another layer to the puzzle and makes finding the gems that much more enjoyable........I also buy all my stuff second hand so won't lose out as much with resale and the research is kinda fun too. You get to learn how others (reviewers) hear which I feel sped up my understanding and helps me refine my ideas about what I want to hear.
Agreed. I've read so many anecdotes about how people were disappointed with their purchases, despite these products coming with glowing recommendations, accolades, and the like. It takes a sheen off this hobby, as bad experiences are easily compounded.

With that said, if you take the "glass half full" approach, the audiophile journey, and its many pitfalls, can be seen as an enriching and educational experience.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #512 of 883
While I largely agree with the posts I read so far, I disagree with the statement that the 2C-CB are technically better than the XC. I own all of these and also the open back (and... yes, also the GH2) which I drive with a Violectric V200 and SMSL M200 dac.
My XC is an early model and has no dip in the mids: quite the opposite, all the difference is there and in the soundstage, which is much more open and spacious with perfect imaging. The 2CCB are an excellent pair and a more, relaxed, less reference listening experience. A fairly smooth experience while the XC are more edgy and even more dynamic. The level of detail is quite right in those for my taste, while the XC may be almost overwhelming sometimes. The difference as I said is mostly in the mids which are more forward, punchy, a bit fatiguing but rewarding if you value details and imaging. With that said, I think Audeze got the mids "right" in the LCD-1, not in any of those. That model gets mixed reviews but I really like it a lot.
The difference in weight is negligible between XC and 2CCB.
I would say that the 2CCB is a better and safer buy while the XC, while superior, trespasses into HD800 territory at times but with those planar bass that, with the right music, remind you are listening an Audeze.
I do know in 2016 the X and XC went through a revision that not everyone think was for the better, so perhaps my unit does not sound like one you can listen in store right now.
The 2C? My least favourite. When I switch from the XC it sounds veiled, no less, and those shouty mids are a mess to me. I consider it a rather poor buy and would take the much cheaper Sundara over these anytime. I have them for sale, in fact.
The GH2? I like also those but they should really be priced under 300£ as they are not in the same category. I love their weight and listen them (with G pads only) when I have to give my neck a break.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #513 of 883
I never thought this would be the case, but these headphones are amazing for taking a quick snooze and really soaking in the music. Today after doing a ton of yardwork and showering, I was still sweaty and decided to lay on the floor of my office right in front of the A/C vent haha. I grabbed a few pillows off the couch and grabbed the cans thinking I'd just listen to them till I cool down. Surprisingly, they were very comfortable and I forgot how much different of an impact music has on me when I'm slipping off into dream-land. The closed back meant I was able to 100% block out all outside noise and really focus on the music more than I do normally during the day when working or browsing the net. I felt that I could adjust better to the sound and was absolutely blown away at all the little parts of songs I've become desensitized to after listening to them so many times! It sounds strange, but I promise -- if you can stay still on your back without turning on your side and put these on you'll enjoy it. I think it just allowed me to shut off my mind and absorb only the music. It really gave me a new appreciation for how comfy a heavy headphone can be and how resolving they are.

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #514 of 883
I never thought this would be the case, but these headphones are amazing for taking a quick snooze and really soaking in the music. Today after doing a ton of yardwork and showering, I was still sweaty and decided to lay on the floor of my office right in front of the A/C vent haha. I grabbed a few pillows off the couch and grabbed the cans thinking I'd just listen to them till I cool down. Surprisingly, they were very comfortable and I forgot how much different of an impact music has on me when I'm slipping off into dream-land. The closed back meant I was able to 100% block out all outside noise and really focus on the music more than I do normally during the day when working or browsing the net. I felt that I could adjust better to the sound and was absolutely blown away at all the little parts of songs I've become desensitized to after listening to them so many times! It sounds strange, but I promise -- if you can stay still on your back without turning on your side and put these on you'll enjoy it. I think it just allowed me to shut off my mind and absorb only the music. It really gave me a new appreciation for how comfy a heavy headphone can be and how resolving they are.
They have a very agreeable sound that plays well with myriad genres of music, yes. However, I can't fathom how someone could fall asleep with the LCD-2 Closed Back. It's like strapping a couple of bricks to your head, and trying to fall asleep with them. :wink:

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #515 of 883
They have a very agreeable sound that plays well with myriad genres of music, yes. However, I can't fathom how someone could fall asleep with the LCD-2 Closed Back. It's like strapping a couple of bricks to your head, and trying to fall asleep with them. :wink:
Haha that’s a good point. I didn’t expect to doze off though, I just wanted to lay down and get cozy. I admit I had to place the headband basically on my forehead and it’s not something I’ll probably do often.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #516 of 883
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Audeze changed the cups on the LCD-2 closed back - at least from what is listed on their website. I have a pair sitting in a box there waiting to be shipped, emailed them asking which set is in the box but due to the virus thing, heard nothing back. The picture makes the cups look like they are wood now versus the black composite of before..they also look more flat..wonder if the sound has changed with the changing of the cup share/material...?

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #517 of 883
Not sure if anyone noticed, but Audeze changed the cups on the LCD-2 closed back - at least from what is listed on their website. I have a pair sitting in a box there waiting to be shipped, emailed them asking which set is in the box but due to the virus thing, heard nothing back. The picture makes the cups look like they are wood now versus the black composite of before..they also look more flat..wonder if the sound has changed with the changing of the cup share/material...?

Wow, good call! It's funny: whoever is building the page or adding the image assets seems a bit frustrated lol. The last part of the image filename is "Editedagain"

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3013/1908/products/LCD-2ClosedBackSquareEditedagain_800x.png

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #518 of 883
Right you are. That marbleing looks like carbon fiber. If it were that should reduce the weight slightly, but is still listed the same. I preferred the more abstract ‘A’ on the cup on the previous version.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #519 of 883
I’ve just picked up a pair of these at a good price (for the UK), mainly encouraged by positive views in this thread. Interestingly there seems to be quite a bit of negativity in YouTube brigade but I can’t see why.

Came to these from a pair of original HD800 which I just don’t use due to lack of isolation and home listening arrangements. Very different but I find the LCD-2 CCs very much to my taste so the HD800 will need to move on to a new home.

I personally find the pads and wide headband make them perfectly comfortable but two things are true - you can definitely feel the weight and they are bloody massive, even on someone with a big noggin like myself. 😁

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #520 of 883
Right you are. That marbleing looks like carbon fiber. If it were that should reduce the weight slightly, but is still listed the same. I preferred the more abstract ‘A’ on the cup on the previous version.
Oddly, the carbon fiber version of the LCD-XC is actually heavier than the original, wood-cupped design -
1600196998286.png

Sadly, it appears that the same can be said of the new LCD-2 Closed Back. Here is a screenshot of the revised model, showing its weight -
1600197219074.png

And this is a screen grab from an archived page from earlier in the year -
1600197265769.png

If the carbon fiber doesn't actually reduce any weight, why use it at all? :thinking:

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #521 of 883
Sadly, it appears that the same can be said of the new LCD-2 Closed Back. Here is a screenshot of the revised model, showing its weight -
1600197219074.png

And this is a screen grab from an archived page from earlier in the year -
1600197265769.png

If the carbon fiber doesn't actually reduce any weight, why use it at all? :thinking:

Maybe it's more scratch resistant and/or changes the sound? Or maybe it's just a trendy material to build crap with these days haha.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #522 of 883
Maybe it's more scratch resistant and/or changes the sound? Or maybe it's just a trendy material to build *** with these days haha.
I agree it's probably trendy and for one like it. I might ask Audeze if they would sell me a set of cups.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #523 of 883
Maybe it's more scratch resistant and/or changes the sound? Or maybe it's just a trendy material to build *** with these days haha.
Well, I've never been one to appreciate the carbon fibre look - it just doesn't look good at all, to my eyes. Of course, like the appreciation of a headphone's qualities, this is an entirely subjective affair. Still, there's something about that simple "A" on the side of the original LCD-2 Closed Back that captures the attention. :)

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #524 of 883
Well, I've never been one to appreciate the carbon fibre look - it just doesn't look good at all, to my eyes. Of course, like the appreciation of a headphone's qualities, this is an entirely subjective affair. Still, there's something about that simple "A" on the side of the original LCD-2 Closed Back that captures the attention. :)

Random question for you: I see in your signature you've contributed to one of the bass-head lists. Where would you place these? I feel they are pretty balanced with most music and don't artificially increase bass, but most people assume a closed back would be bassier than an open back version. Curious to here your comments on it!

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #525 of 883
I just got a pair of these through a trade. Ive got a pair of LCD-2.2, which I really like the sound of. Anyway, my problem with close backs is that I can hear/feel my pulse when wearing them. I changed to Dekoni Suede, but i took to much bass of them. However, with the suedes the closed in feeling is completely gone and they almost feel like open backs, which is good. And I was thinking if anybody have tried Dekoni Elite Sheepskin with these? Ive got them on my LCD-2.2s, but its really a hassle to change pads on Audezes. They are way softer than the stock on the closed backs, so I was hoping that with softer pads, I could avoid the sound of my pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back