Audeze LCD-2 Closed
May 10, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #421 of 883
Yea I understand, my question happened to be only for Sine which has 30 ohm impedance.
I just hope that raising the volume this much won't effect the distortion level?? Is it even relevant? I mean would quality decrease?
The Sine is a different story. Although is rated at 30 Ohm's it like power as well. But the Oppo shouldn't have a problem with them at all

May 11, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #422 of 883
Yea I understand, my question happened to be only for Sine which has 30 ohm impedance.
I just hope that raising the volume this much won't effect the distortion level?? Is it even relevant? I mean would quality decrease?
You can raise the background noise floor/hiss on higher gain. It can also add more bite/hardness/attack to the treble region and 2CB have hot bits here-and-there in the treble.

If there is any distortion, it would be coming from the amp end, not the planars....they can take a monster load of peak current way beyond anything a dynamic could handle before a dynamics cones ripped out. If you need to flip the high gain on, then just go for it and dial just below any treble hottness on the volume pot you will not harm either bit of equipment.

Have a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 to try out against my 2CBs soon.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #423 of 883
You can raise the background noise floor/hiss on higher gain. It can also add more bite/hardness/attack to the treble region and 2CB have hot bits here-and-there in the treble.

If there is any distortion, it would be coming from the amp end, not the planars....they can take a monster load of peak current way beyond anything a dynamic could handle before a dynamics cones ripped out. If you need to flip the high gain on, then just go for it and dial just below any treble hottness on the volume pot you will not harm either bit of equipment.

Have a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 to try out against my 2CBs soon.

Do you think distortion is inevitable with the 2CB and Oppo Ha2 pair? Because I don’t want the quality to decrease. There was that Oppo Ha2 analysis on one of the sites, stating that the Quality listening threshold is between 8-110 smth. so I assume it’s ok?

Can you answer this question too? @Slim1970

May 11, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #424 of 883
By the way does LCD 2 CB come with a cable that allows to connect to phones or is it necessary to purchase something else?

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #425 of 883
By the way does LCD 2 CB come with a cable that allows to connect to phones or is it necessary to purchase something else?
I’ve tried connect iPhone with lightning adaptor to 2cb with stock cable and stock 6.3” to 3.5” adaptor. They sounds not bad with iPhone also. Of course there is lack of low end but not so much I’d say

May 22, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #429 of 883
Has anyone compared these to a ZMF Eikon or Atticus? How does the bass and the tonality compare in particular?
I’d love to know this too. Been thinking of a pair of high end closed backs and leaning towards the Eikons, but the LCD2 CBs are much cheaper. If anyone can offer comparisons, please chime in!

May 22, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #430 of 883
I’d love to know this too. Been thinking of a pair of high end closed backs and leaning towards the Eikons, but the LCD2 CBs are much cheaper. If anyone can offer comparisons, please chime in!
I found something while searching on Google. He implies that the LCD-2CB is faster than the Eikon, detail retrieval is as good or better, and bass slam is equally good. However, he says that the tone is not as natural and that there's something seriously wrong in the mid-range.

This doesn't seem right though. Comparing his frequency graph to Audeze's own graph, his has a big dip at ~700Hz relative to other frequencies, while the Audeze's dips at ~400Hz and doesn't deviate that much. I think his graph looks really close to the defective pair that Ishca measured. But it's been a year since then, how does the guy still have a defective pair?

To anyone who owns the LCD-2CB, can you comment on his review? Is what he wrote entirely true?
Piano recordings in this genre tend to be all over the place...male vocals in particular tend to sound really strange...Avenged Sevenfold’s ‘the stage’ - an album that sounds admittedly a bit rough on most equipment - sounds particularly dreadful to me on the LCD2 Closed.
It’s as if the primary tone sits further back in the mix, but the resonant qualities above and below still come forward, leaving it a bit hollow and muted.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #431 of 883
Hey there, I finally bought the LCD 2 closed back (with financial support :p)
I just would like to ask what is a good mobile amp/dac you would suggest. I tried the cord mojo and while it really clears the sound and makes it pretty warm, it provides little bass compared to my Oppo Ha2. So I look for an amp that will provide both a more clean sound and more bass. Thank you

May 22, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #432 of 883
By the way, it feels like the Lcd2 started to get bright with Oppo Ha after listening like 3-4 hours. It gives a more trashy sound like not full. I mean that’s not exactly something I wanted. Is it something possible?

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #433 of 883
Hey there, I finally bought the LCD 2 closed back (with financial support :p)
I just would like to ask what is a good mobile amp/dac you would suggest. I tried the cord mojo and while it really clears the sound and makes it pretty warm, it provides little bass compared to my Oppo Ha2. So I look for an amp that will provide both a more clean sound and more bass. Thank you
Cayin C5 will provide more low-end (440mWatts per channel) and smooth off the treble edginess, though it has a more tube style sound than 'clean'.
I'm looking in iBasso PB3 to see if it will power the 2CB balanced out for better imaging....it is supposed to have a slightly richer tonality than neutral amps, while retaining better imaging/instrument separation on BAL out...though it has half the power output per channel.
I'm running my 2CBs off a sabre DAC/amp just now with 250mWatts per channel which is the bare minimum output..it gives a more linear presentation whereas the C5 fills things out in the low-end. Just entry-level amping stuff above though.
If you are OK with opamps in an amp, that is another way for you to dial the sound to your preference vs having to buy and sell amps till you find the right sound. There are also discrete DIP8 amp chips now from China that are pretty great for the price. I'm looking at Burson Dip8 extenders to port in 2 discrete high current class A amp chips to my portable DAC..along the lines of Rpi Katana DAC.
Geekfest stuff. :)
Edit : I see you were referencing a desktop Oppo not a portable unit as I thought..lots more options then at your price-point LOL.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #434 of 883
By the way, it feels like the Lcd2 started to get bright with Oppo Ha after listening like 3-4 hours. It gives a more trashy sound like not full. I mean that’s not exactly something I wanted. Is it something possible?
As good as the HA-2 is the LCD-2CB’s requires more power. The HA-2 seems to run out of headroom right before it’s starting to open up the LCD-2CB’s. I think it outputs something like 300 mw. To me that’s not enough to properly drive the LCD-2CB’s.

Something like the iFi X-Can with 1000 mw might be worth looking into. It doesn’t have a DAC but it’s Bluetooth capable. The CEntrance DACportable is another option. It has clean, class A power with 775 mw and a built-in DAC on board. It also has bass and treble boost. The bass boost on it focuses more on subbass. Were as the HA-2 boosts the midbass frequencies which could explain some of the muddiness you’re hearing in the LCD-2CB’s. I really like the DACportable more than my HA-2se because it has more power and a better implemented bass boost. But the choice is yours

May 22, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #435 of 883
Cayin C5 will provide more low-end (440mWatts per channel) and smooth off the treble edginess, though it has a more tube style sound than 'clean'.
I'm looking in iBasso PB3 to see if it will power the 2CB balanced out for better imaging....it is supposed to have a slightly richer tonality than neutral amps, while retaining better imaging/instrument separation on BAL out...though it has half the power output per channel.
I'm running my 2CBs off a sabre DAC/amp just now with 250mWatts per channel which is the bare minimum output..it gives a more linear presentation whereas the C5 fills things out in the low-end. Just entry-level amping stuff above though.
If you are OK with opamps in an amp, that is another way for you to dial the sound to your preference vs having to buy and sell amps till you find the right sound. There are also discrete DIP8 amp chips now from China that are pretty great for the price. I'm looking at Burson Dip8 extenders to port in 2 discrete high current class A amp chips to my portable DAC..along the lines of Rpi Katana DAC.
Geekfest stuff. :)
Edit : I see you were referencing a desktop Oppo not a portable unit as I thought..lots more options then at your price-point LOL.
Sorry I meant the Oppo ha2 not the desktop one. Is Cayin C5 portable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back