Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #257 of 883
Like others here I'm surprised this thread is so quiet - Audeze is one of the big brands in hi-fi these days and I always see references to the LCD-2 classic in reviews and other threads. I guess most people are into open headphones...

Anyway, I've read through the whole thread, a few other reviews and the minidisc videos (I love minidisc, great little shop doing good things) and I think I might get these - most of my listening is on closed backs on the go or in the office, and even at home most of the time I need the isolation of a closed back. I'm also on the lookout for a closed back that can do balanced connection, and the LCD-2 closed back ticks that box.

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to ZMF Eikons, but damn the price is a killer. I've got a DX200 and amp8 (balanced 4.4mm amp) on the way so I'm thinking something a little more affordable to use in the meantime (or possibly forever if I'm impressed!) would be good. For reference, I'm coming from the Aeon Flow Closed, which I liked - great detail and sense of space - but like others I felt like I needed more bass. My other main cans are the B&W P7s, and in the past the Sennheiser Momentum 2s were a favourite. I also have some Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58Xs at home, and previously owned the HD6XXs (which were okay, but I'm liking the HD58X more).

I don't suppose anyone here has heard the ZMF Blackwood's and the LCD-2 closed back? I can get both for about the same price, both planar magnetic closed backs from good brands.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #258 of 883
I also want a closed-back headphone and LCD 2 closed back looks like a nice option. But I wish there were more reviews and impressions.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #259 of 883
Guys, look above in this thread. There are plenty of impressions. The conclusion is that it's a great headphone (planar impact, good clean bass, good definition) that sounds good out of the box but also takes well to EQ and good gear, but is very heavy. You are not going to wear this happily at the office for 4 hours at a time.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #260 of 883
Guys, look above in this thread. There are plenty of impressions. The conclusion is that it's a great headphone (planar impact, good clean bass, good definition) that sounds good out of the box but also takes well to EQ and good gear, but is very heavy. You are not going to wear this happily at the office for 4 hours at a time.
For the right sound, I will do neck weights :wink:

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #261 of 883
@someyoungguy I hear you. But be aware that it will affect your experience. I thought the same thing. I am very fit and have a normal, healthy neck. Well, I ended up selling the 2CB because after one hour my neck did start to hurt. And then something funny happened... even when I would put the headphones on for just 20 minutes, even though the pain wasn't there, I was subconsciously aware of it, somehow expecting it. This took something away from the experience, which for me is something I want to associate with relaxation.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #262 of 883
@someyoungguy I hear you. But be aware that it will affect your experience. I thought the same thing. I am very fit and have a normal, healthy neck. Well, I ended up selling the 2CB because after one hour my neck did start to hurt. And then something funny happened... even when I would put the headphones on for just 20 minutes, even though the pain wasn't there, I was subconsciously aware of it, somehow expecting it. This took something away from the experience, which for me is something I want to associate with relaxation.
Hmm, good point, maybe I will contemplate this some more before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the words of experience!

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #263 of 883
Hmm, good point, maybe I will contemplate this some more before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the words of experience!

Mind you that I kept the MX4 which is "only" 555 grams and I enjoy it tremendously / zero discomfort. So it depends on where your threshold is. Maybe you can do 650 grams. Worth trying if you have a store around.

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #264 of 883
Honestly, there aren’t a lot of good closed headphone options out there. Mr Speakers, ZMF, Fostex, and Audeze come to mind and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. To me the LCD-2CB’s strikes the right tonal balance for me. Listening to music through them the music has body, weight, and good clarity. The weight of the LCD-2CB’s is not an issue for me. The new headband distributes the weight nicely compared to the old headband. Overall, I’m very pleased with my LCD-2CB’s. Until Audeze makes a closed version of the LCD-4’s the LCD-2CB’s will suffice.

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #265 of 883
I'm very new to the higher end heaphones scene and I'm currently using Beyer dt770pro at work. I use them on and off throughout the day so have them on maybe 1hour straight before putting them away.

I have been reading through this topic and other reviews online and compared to other brands the LCD-2CB's seem to be a great heaphone for me. Only thing is that it weighs almost 3 times the 770pro's.

I got a possible deal for mint LCD-2CB's at 450 euros. I will be able to try them on and listen to them before purchase. Are there any specific things I should be looking out for when getting them 2nd hand? And if the weight feels alright for a bit when trying them on, you guys think I can wear them at work for 1 consecutive hour at a time?

Any info or tips are welcome!

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #266 of 883
Like others here I'm surprised this thread is so quiet - Audeze is one of the big brands in hi-fi these days and I always see references to the LCD-2 classic in reviews and other threads. I guess most people are into open headphones...

Anyway, I've read through the whole thread, a few other reviews and the minidisc videos (I love minidisc, great little shop doing good things) and I think I might get these - most of my listening is on closed backs on the go or in the office, and even at home most of the time I need the isolation of a closed back. I'm also on the lookout for a closed back that can do balanced connection, and the LCD-2 closed back ticks that box.

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to ZMF Eikons, but damn the price is a killer. I've got a DX200 and amp8 (balanced 4.4mm amp) on the way so I'm thinking something a little more affordable to use in the meantime (or possibly forever if I'm impressed!) would be good. For reference, I'm coming from the Aeon Flow Closed, which I liked - great detail and sense of space - but like others I felt like I needed more bass. My other main cans are the B&W P7s, and in the past the Sennheiser Momentum 2s were a favourite. I also have some Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58Xs at home, and previously owned the HD6XXs (which were okay, but I'm liking the HD58X more).

I don't suppose anyone here has heard the ZMF Blackwood's and the LCD-2 closed back? I can get both for about the same price, both planar magnetic closed backs from good brands.

I couldn't agree more with this. I'm still fairly new as I can now finally afford some hi-fi stuff. As well went through the thread a few days ago and suscribed, as even though there are several opinions here, it seems these headphones are a bit of a dark horse. Lots of opinions on the LCD-2 Classics (295 pages thread) and on Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed (315 pages thread), yet here there's only 18 pages (with early impressions having to be disregarded due to an early production issue).

For me, more pages equals more data points and there are some contradictory points (obviously, different people have different opinions). When it comes to other media, such as youtube and review websites like innerfidelity, we can find the same. Everybody reviewed the LCD-2 Classics and the Aeon Flow Closed, yet barely nobody reviewed these. And I, for one, would absolutely LOVE head-to-head comparisons between these and the Aeon Flow Closed as they are both closed headphones in the same price range that I'm eyeing for the mid future.

As two final thoughts, I've seen a bit of contradiction as well in the MrSpeakers as I've seen people saying they lacked bass and people saying it was the right perfect amount of it... Maybe different genre taste makes this difference? Anyway, on the other hand, I do notice how open headphones are more popular, yet I don't fully understand it as in I would actually expect more of a 50/50 scenario. Guess I'm just too in love with closed ones.

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #267 of 883
I'm very new to the higher end heaphones scene and I'm currently using Beyer dt770pro at work. I use them on and off throughout the day so have them on maybe 1hour straight before putting them away.

I have been reading through this topic and other reviews online and compared to other brands the LCD-2CB's seem to be a great heaphone for me. Only thing is that it weighs almost 3 times the 770pro's.

I got a possible deal for mint LCD-2CB's at 450 euros. I will be able to try them on and listen to them before purchase. Are there any specific things I should be looking out for when getting them 2nd hand? And if the weight feels alright for a bit when trying them on, you guys think I can wear them at work for 1 consecutive hour at a time?

Any info or tips are welcome!
Nope, they sound good right out of the box.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #268 of 883
...the Sony MDR-Z7M2's bass is smoother and broader, the LCD2-CB's bass is more slamming but a bit rougher. Both have good midrange (which is what led me to try these two as upgrades from my original Z7, because it is so bass-heavy the mids seem recessed). The Audeze is more neutral, which means the Sony is a bit warmer, but they are both clear while retaining an overall warm friendly sound. I give the Audeze a slight edge in sound stage; not surprising given their size. Now I'm very torn between them...for the first hour at least. Sony wins the physical comfort contest hands-down, for hours and hours, unless it's hot in which case both models may get a bit sticky.

Since I posted the above, the MDR-Z7M2 has won. Similar but less fatiguing sound, and far less fatiguing to wear. I don't think I've used my LCD2-CB since December.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #269 of 883
Until Audeze makes a closed version of the LCD-4’s the LCD-2CB’s will suffice.

That would be amazing...

Definitely been intrigued by the LCD-2CB, especially having entered the audiophile world through the original LCD-2F. Even more interested to see where Audeze goes with their closed-back technology in the future. Maybe closed-back IEMs?

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #270 of 883
Nope, they sound good right out of the box.
I heard them before buying. Guy selling was actually a musician/producer.. So now I own a pair of these! Only silly thing is we forgot to put the 3.5mm cable in the case so he has to send it to me. But I'm very happy with the purchase already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back