Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #571 of 883
Hello! I am considering these cans — I am sure this has been covered before, but how do you find these comfort-wise? I’d be using them at work for hours on end and I am worried about my neck getting sore.

The clamping force/ear pads are pretty comfy and the weight has never been a problem for me personally. One thing worth mentioning... if you are bald, the perforations in the headband get uncomfortable after about an hour or so and leave marks in your head. It's super annoying. I am going to get a suede ZMF Pilot or some other mod to improve it at some point.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #572 of 883
The clamping force/ear pads are pretty comfy and the weight has never been a problem for me personally. One thing worth mentioning... if you are bald, the perforations in the headband get uncomfortable after about an hour or so and leave marks in your head. It's super annoying. I am going to get a suede ZMF Pilot or some other mod to improve it at some point.

Thanks! I am female and luckily have plenty of hair but a weaker neck than an average man...

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #573 of 883
This is the second headphone with purported comfort issues that I found to be exaggerated

When we had LCD-2 at our office, weight was my only complain as far as their comfort goes. Everything else worked. I had enough space around my fairly small ears and clamping force didn't put too much pressure on my head.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #574 of 883
Howdy all. Happy holidays and a wonderful new year ahead...

Longtime Fostex fan. Recently traded my TH-909s for a pair of these LCD-2 CBs + cash. Despite negative reviews on YouTube, I'm actually enjoying them. The pads are flaking a bit, so I'm pondering upgrading/swapping. Any recommendations? I typically stay in the Dekoni camp... and typically leather or sheepskin. If it helps, I like me some bass (can you tell by the Fostex history -- LOL)... so I doubt velour is the way to go. Or should I just stick with stock because a swap will destroy the sound?

Also, can anybody compare these to the Sony MDR-1ZR? Thanks!

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #575 of 883
Hello! I am considering these cans — I am sure this has been covered before, but how do you find these comfort-wise? I’d be using them at work for hours on end and I am worried about my neck getting sore.

Also, have you tried Oratory’s EQ settings?

I'm running the old-style LCD-2 Closed, but I'm assuming they sound the same as the new version (?)

This is the EQ that I run https://i.imgur.com/nkFbQGO.png

They are heavy to be sure, but after several days my neck just got used to them. Now I wear them all day long while working and all night long while playing with no issues

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #576 of 883
Anyone here able to compare the LCD-2 CBs with the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00? I've seen conflicting reports about how the LCDs sound - some strangely polarized reports that these have a neutral-ish tuning or, conversely, that they represent the Audeze house sound. Has been difficult to puzzle out.

I'm a fan of the X00s until they hit above 40hz - I find their subbass extension a little thin - and below about 3k hz, at which point I find they become glassy and too sharp for my taste.

Hey there... I currently have both and the X00s were the first pair of headphones that I fell in love with.

As much as I love the X00s, I feel like the CBS beat it soundly. The Audeze have better detail, wider soundstage and more accurate instrument placement (and more active movement). The bass is more controlled and accurate. The X00s are more “in your face”, wild, and energetic... out of control. Lots of bass in terms of quantity... lots of energy all over the place. They are fun, no doubt. The Audeze have a good, meaty sound. The bass is very focused and hits harder. Treble wasn’t an issue for me for the most part with the X00s, but I think you’d find the CBs to be even less problematic.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #577 of 883
It is a very good headphone. I've owned a few Audeze headphones, including the LCD-4. The LCD-2CB is just as enjoyable a listen as the LCD-4. They are both fairly neutral sounding. I as EQ the LCD-2CB with my Loki and it responds very well to EQ. My recommendation to you is if you're going to audition other Audeze cans leave the LCD-4/4Z for last. They are that much better than the rest of the line up to my ears.

Old post... sorry... but I have a Loki as well. Can you post a pic of your dials?

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #578 of 883
I too got into the headphone game with Fostex X00 Ebonies, then my second pair up the ladder were LCD-2 Closed Backs so I can give my opinions as well

I'm very sensitive to 2k-4k, and therefore I think the X00 are the only headphone I've ever heard that need *zero* EQ for me to love them. I love them dearly and will never let them go. That said, after trying out a few class-A amps and crafting up a very heavy and wonky looking EQ curve on my RME ADI-2, I now actually prefer the LCD2-CB's for daily use. They have something special and magical around the 250-750hz range that I just can't put into words, that tickles my brain in a certain way when listening to trance music with synths

To me the Fostex X00 and the LCD-2 CB are polar opposites (the LCD-2 CB have what I consider sharp treble around 2-4k, and the Fostex X00 are actually dipped in that range), plus one is Planar and extremely resolving, and the other is just for rocking out and having fun (the X00 respond very well to the one tube amp I've tried as well)

They both have plenty of bass, but I suppose the bass on the LCD-2 CB is cleaner. X00 has a bit more "slam" though. If someone in the future is reading this I can't really tell you which one to buy because I need them both in my life to be happy :) (also I recently slapped a Subpac in my seat so now I have as much tactile bass as I want and don't really care how much bass the headphones make anymore)

Another anecdote in case anyone cares - I tried the LCD4 for a while, and find I very very much prefer the LCD-2 Closed Backs. Sold the LCD4 after a few weeks

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #579 of 883
I've gotta say, these things absolutely LOVE EQ. Man, it can handle them with grace and precision and sound elegant while doing so -- how I imagine it feels driving an Aston Martin. Stock, the GH2s (my go to dailies) sound about 90% in line with my preferences, but could use a bit of sub bass. When I turn the 20Hz knob up on the Loki, they start to get a bit loose and compressed. The Sundaras are a pleasant middle ground between the GH2 and LCD2 CB's stock tunings, but actually clip my Asgard 2 (1 watt per channel at the ~35ohm rating) if you attempt to turn the bass up and volume! The LCD2 CB on the other hand will literally take full volume from the Asgard 2 + full 20Hz knob fully clockwise and BARELY audibly clip on certain songs. At this point, I can feel air escaping out the pads and the bass pressure is uncomfortable. The Loki really woke these things up!

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #580 of 883
The Loki really woke these things up!

Have you tried a music player such as MusicBee or JRiver that has a built-in EQ? Also you can try Peace Eq APO, so that you can have far more control over the EQ instead of just four knobs :) But YES I fully agree about the LCD-2 CB taking EQ very well - literally could not use them without it

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #581 of 883
I'm running on Debain here, not sure what apps support that type of software EQ. But I'm an analog kinda guy with equipment! My stereo is mostly all separate components with just a remote for volume, balance and input. I also do ham radio and have to have a big base radio with knobs and buttons instead of a ton of DSP :) I'm sure I'll have to look into it some day if I ever want to have full control over these cans mobile!

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #582 of 883
I'm running on Debain here, not sure what apps support that type of software EQ.
not a linux expert, but try
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mikhailnov/pulseeffects

sudo apt install pulseeffects lsp-plugins

I run that on Ubuntu 20.04 in my car

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #583 of 883
I'm running on Debain here, not sure what apps support that type of software EQ. But I'm an analog kinda guy with equipment! My stereo is mostly all separate components with just a remote for volume, balance and input. I also do ham radio and have to have a big base radio with knobs and buttons instead of a ton of DSP :) I'm sure I'll have to look into it some day if I ever want to have full control over these cans mobile!
You can follow the guide from this link. It should work on Debian afaik. I currently use PulseEffects on Pop_OS! to EQ all my gear. A good start to using EQ is playing around with the values from either oratory's measurements or from the AutoEQ project.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #584 of 883
You could try a Schiit Loki; however, a next-gen Loki is currently in the works, with finer control over smaller frequency ranges (i.e. more knobs). I use a Schiit Loki, and it's pretty decent, despite the lack of granular control.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #585 of 883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back