Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #601 of 883
The Loki Max should be hitting production soon; it is Freya-sized, and features 6 knobs. It's also 10 times as expensive as the Loki+. Oh, well.

1617196499806.png

In any case, enjoy your LCD-2 Closed Back (with the Loki). :)
WOW! Remote control and 2 additional bands would be nice, but not for over a grand! I hope it sounds good but I'll stick with my current one lol.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #602 of 883
WOW! Remote control and 2 additional bands would be nice, but not for over a grand! I hope it sounds good but I'll stick with my current one lol.
I'm thinking the same thing. I'd rather have balanced ins and outs than a remote control (and wouldn't that add to noise?). And yeah, I'm not going to spend more on an EQ than the rest of my stack combined. LOL.

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #603 of 883
I'm thinking the same thing. I'd rather have balanced ins and outs than a remote control (and wouldn't that add to noise?). And yeah, I'm not going to spend more on an EQ than the rest of my stack combined. LOL.

I didn't even notice the balanced in/out. That is nice. But I still don't think I could cough up that much haha. Plus, only my stereo has balanced on the amplifier side - preamp does not.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #604 of 883
I didn't even notice the balanced in/out. That is nice. But I still don't think I could cough up that much haha. Plus, only my stereo has balanced on the amplifier side - preamp does not.
To be clear -- I don't think this has balanced in/out. If it's going to be north of $500 (let alone north of $1K), I'd all but expect that.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #605 of 883
Audeze LCD-2 Closed - mini Review - 4-01-2021

------------------------------------------------------

Dac-Amp used :

Prism Sound Callas
---------------------------------------------

Lets do the ritual dance:

Box : White, supportive, functional, cardboard.

Cable : (1) Typical of recent vintage Audeze. Its excellent and not too long.

Headphone comfort : Not light, quite comfortable.

Pads : Soft, thick, probably man made materials, but, could pass for nice leather.

Strap : Nice, comfy.

Build of Headphone : Solid and Professional

---------------------------------

Sound :

My very first thought when Keren Ann's lush French voice appeared in the ear cups was " thats impressive".
Everything about the tone the timbre and the depth the realism........ the sweetness, was accurate and gorgeous.
My next thought, was : ""the soundstage is impressive for a closed back.""""
And then i realized that the LCD-2 Closed sounds nothing like the LCD-XC.
The LCD-XC is very energetic, bristling with dynamics, and is treble forward.
The LCD-2 Closed, is not any of that...yet in a good way..... and i'll tell you about that in a little bit.

First let me tell you the next thing i noticed, once the bass guitar appeared in the 1st song, on "Bleue"..
I noticed that the bass is big. So that right there is the main frame in this movie clip.
So, if you are considering buying these and you are listening to me, carefully......
= Do you like big rich beautiful textured detailed bass response that just blesses all songs?
What the LCD-2 Closed present is a smooth lush detailed sound with a uniquely gifted response.
This is a money sound. This is a audiophile sound. This is a connoisseur's sound, and the bass is special.

So far.....Ive noticed the lovely bass response on every track ive played, bar none. Its a full, sub, textured, weighty, defined bottom end, not to be confused with slam.
Im not describing slam, im describing SIZE..
This is some righteously planted low end.
Sonically, overall, this is a quite neutral and very accurate tonality representing headphone.
Its neutrality is presented as lush and rich, and its accuracy is presented as slightly dark and thick.
IN some ways, the sound of this LCD-2 Closed reminds me of the Rosson Rad-O, yet with less driving intensity.

Treble : Its beautiful. Its detailed but not etched.

Midrange : This is the good stuff. Its wide, its accurate, its present yet rich, and detailed yet not hyped.

Low Mid : Slightly dark, and warms the overall FR.

Bass and Sub Bass : They make a definite statement.

Timbre : Dark Thick

Soundstage : Better then some open backs.

Instrument Separation : Clearly defined

This is a very good set of Audeze headphones that offer a unique and special low end.
Right out of the box, this Audeze Gear sounds immersive, lovely, and is very enjoyable.
The FR, the Tonality, the Soundstage the High End, the comfort and the overall sonic experience, is impressive.
Its worth its price. Very good gear.
Mine are the "non-carbon" cups, as i prefer this vs the AUDEZE Logo on the cups.
-
-
DSC09673.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #606 of 883

Dac-Amp used :

Prism Sound Callas

Pads : Soft, thick, probably man made materials, but, could pass for nice leather.

Sound :

My very first thought when Keren Ann's lush French voice appeared in the ear cups was " thats impressive".
Everything about the tone the timbre and the depth the realism........ the sweetness, was accurate and gorgeous.
The LCD-2 Closed, is not any of that...yet in a good way..... and i'll tell you about that in a little bit.

First let me tell you the next thing i noticed, once the bass guitar appeared in the 1st song, on "Bleue"..
I noticed that the bass is big. So that right there is the main frame in this movie clip.
Do you like big rich textured detailed bass response that is north of neutral at all times, on all songs?
What the LCD-2 Closed present is a smooth lush detailed sound with a large bass response.
This is a money sound. This is a audiophile sound. This is a connoisseur's sound, and the bass is plentiful.

So far.....Ive noticed the bass bigness on every track ive played, bar none. Its a big, sub, textured, weighty, punchy, bottom end, not to be confused with slam.
Im not describing slam, im describing SIZE.
Its not annoying, its just righteously planted.
Does it qualify as bass head bass? Well, the reason it probably doesn't is because its not slamming bass, and the tonality regarding the rest of the sound is quite rich and full, and slightly dark, .. and that allows the big bottom end to feel at home, yet you will feel it's SIZE.
Its not chest rattling, skull crushing bass, its just big at all times.

If you've been in this game for a while, then you've owned headphones where you felt like you had to turn the music up louder so that you could hear it over the bass.
Know what i mean? So, this is almost what is going on here but for the fact that Audeze deftly tuned this gear so that the low end is quite separate from the middle of the mids, and so, this lack of bass bleed into the middle midrange allows the middle mids and beyond to stand alone, yet, the bass never lets you forget its alive and well.

Will all this that im describing change after burn in?
That is quite possible, as often, right out of the box, one frequency can be more obvious and then as burn in and settling of driver's occur, this all disappears.
So, thats the reality.
Time will tell.

Sonically, overall, this is a quite neutral and very accurate tonality representing headphone.
Its neutrality is presented as lush and rich, and its accuracy is presented as slightly dark and thick.
IN some ways, the sound of this LCD-2 Closed reminds me of the Rosson Rad-O, yet with less driving intensity.

Midrange : This is the good stuff. Its wide, its accurate, its present yet rich, and detailed yet not hyped.

Bass and Sub Bass : They make a big statement.

Timbre : Lush meets Accurate.

This is a very good set of Audeze headphones that offer a big bottom end.
Its slightly more bass then i prefer, but, its probably not more the most listeners will prefer., but just know that its ample.
The FR, the Tonality, the Soundstage the High End, the comfort and the overall sonic immersive experience, is impressive.
Its worth its price, but the bass is big.
Mine are the "non-carbon" weave cups, as i prefer this vs the AUDEZE Logo on the cups.
-
-
DSC09673.JPG
This. All of this.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #607 of 883

Dac-Amp used :

Prism Sound Callas

Sound :

So, if you are considering buying these and you are listening to me, carefully......
= Do you like big rich textured detailed bass response that is north of neutral at all times, on all songs?
What the LCD-2 Closed present is a smooth lush detailed sound with a large bass response.
This is a money sound. This is a audiophile sound. This is a connoisseur's sound, and the bass is plentiful.

So far.....Ive noticed the bass bigness on every track ive played, bar none. Its a big, sub, textured, weighty, punchy, bottom end, not to be confused with slam.
Im not describing slam, im describing SIZE.
Its not annoying, its just righteously planted.
Does it qualify as bass head bass? Well, the reason it probably doesn't is because its not slamming bass, and the tonality regarding the rest of the sound is quite rich and full, and slightly dark, .. and that allows the big bottom end to feel at home, yet you will feel it's SIZE.
Its not chest rattling, skull crushing bass, its just big at all times.

If you've been in this game for a while, then you've owned headphones where you felt like you had to turn the music up louder so that you could hear it over the bass.
Know what i mean? So, this is almost what is going on here but for the fact that Audeze deftly tuned this gear so that the low end is quite separate from the middle of the mids, and so, this lack of bass bleed into the middle midrange allows the middle mids and beyond to stand alone, yet, the bass never lets you forget its alive and well.

Will all this that im describing change after burn in?
That is quite possible, as often, right out of the box, one frequency can be more obvious and then as burn in and settling of driver's occur, this all disappears.
So, thats the reality.
Time will tell.

Bass and Sub Bass : They make a big statement.

Timbre : Lush meets Accurate.

This is a very good set of Audeze headphones that offer a big bottom end.
Right out of the box, Its slightly more bass then i prefer, but, its probably not more the most listeners will prefer., but just know that its ample.
The FR, the Tonality, the Soundstage the High End, the comfort and the overall sonic immersive experience, is impressive.
Its worth its price, but the bass is big.
Mine are the "non-carbon" weave cups, as i prefer this vs the AUDEZE Logo on the cups.
-
-
DSC09673.JPG
Very much agreed. Especially on two points:

• Soundstage is very big for a closed back and that caught me off guard a lot at first.
  • The "texture", "timbre" or whatever you want to call it of the bass, especially on bowed instruments. Contrabass, cello and viola are so incredibly detailed I feel like you can hear the tonewood impart it's harmonics and resonances. Vitamin String Quartet are amazing with these pair.
I think the new cups do looks overall more aesthetic, but I prefer the simple black with the A on it.

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #608 of 883
Very much agreed. Especially on two points:

• Soundstage is very big for a closed back and that caught me off guard a lot at first.
  • The "texture", "timbre" or whatever you want to call it of the bass, especially on bowed instruments. Contrabass, cello and viola are so incredibly detailed I feel like you can hear the tonewood impart it's harmonics and resonances. Vitamin String Quartet are amazing with these pair.
I think the new cups do looks overall more aesthetic, but I prefer the simple black with the A on it.
Agreed.

I just posted "Stabat Mater" for someone on the Music fourm, here.
Classical music sounds very beautiful through these headphones.
So much body to the sound these produce.
The ultra "non-V" shape.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #609 of 883
Thanks for that nice write-up, @FullBright1 .... I take it as a good sign that I happened to snag a used one of these today (bought, but not yet received) and then I read your take on it and I think ahhhhhhh.... yeahhhhhh. :L3000:

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #611 of 883
Thanks for that nice write-up, @FullBright1 .... I take it as a good sign that I happened to snag a used one of these today (bought, but not yet received) and then I read your take on it and I think ahhhhhhh.... yeahhhhhh. :L3000:
Didn't I used to see you over at the Grado Fan Club? Haha. Either way good call on these used. I picked mine up for barely over 50% of retail and the only issue was a tiny scratch on one of the cups. WELL worth that price.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #612 of 883
Didn't I used to see you over at the Grado Fan Club? Haha. Either way good call on these used. I picked mine up for barely over 50% of retail and the only issue was a tiny scratch on one of the cups. WELL worth that price.

The LCD-2 Closed are definitely the Anti-Grado sound.

With Audeze, their house sound is "thick", and some models fortunately offer more upper mids and enough Treble so that detail retrieval is pretty Good.
Ive not owned the most expensive Audeze, so, i can't speak to that one, yet.
I have owned quite a few of them, and the LCD-X is still my favorite.

The LCD-2 Closed, is going to offer fans of the darker, thicker, more dense tonality, a real feast.
If you prefer a lighter, airy, sound, or a bright or analytical sound, .... = the LCD-2 Closed is not that gear.

One of the advantages of this type of thicker darker sound, this really full sound, is that it allows you to play it at a lower volume and it still sounds full.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #613 of 883

Yes, well, I still own a few Grado's (SR325i, SR225e, Alessandro MS2i, GW100 wireless), so I haven't ditched Grado, lol ... I just like having different headphones with different strengths. I paid 56.7% of retail for LCD-2 Closed, some minor scratching from what I can see from the pictures, but I suppose I won't really know until they're in my hands. :relieved:

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #614 of 883
Yes, well, I still own a few Grado's (SR325i, SR225e, Alessandro MS2i, GW100 wireless), so I haven't ditched Grado, lol ... I just like having different headphones with different strengths. I paid 56.7% of retail for LCD-2 Closed, some minor scratching from what I can see from the pictures, but I suppose I won't really know until they're in my hands. :relieved:
Buying headphones is why we're here :)

I have my fair share of Grado's. I've not owned the Alessandro version.

You'll enjoy the LCD-2 Closed.
I'd rate them as the Audeze "Sleeper" gear, as most people buy open headphones.
This gear is like one of those really good movies that not many people have seen.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #615 of 883
The LCD-2 Closed are definitely the Anti-Grado sound.

With Audeze, their house sound is "thick", and some models fortunately offer more upper mids and enough Treble so that detail retrieval is pretty Good.
Ive not owned the most expensive Audeze, so, i can't speak to that one, yet.
I have owned quite a few of them, and the LCD-X is still my favorite.

The LCD-2 Closed, is going to offer fans of the darker, thicker, more dense tonality, a real feast.
If you prefer a lighter, airy, sound, or a bright or analytical sound, .... = the LCD-2 Closed is not that gear.

One of the advantages of this type of thicker darker sound, this really full sound, is that it allows you to play it at a lower volume and it still sounds full.

I'm looking forward to a thick, dark sound -- I do have the LCD-X, also, I am expecting the LCD-2 Closed to sound different than those, certainly. :)

Eventually, I will probably get the LCD-XC to get that more detailed, technically accurate closed LCD sound signature, but I kind of really wanted to hear this more laid back sound of the LCD-2 Closed first -- I have a feeling I'm really going to dig it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back