Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #211 of 883
You are contradicting yourself.

I will end my involvement on this point saying that I do not share your opinion. I think the LCD-2CB do not leak more than the average closed back.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #212 of 883
OK. Do you not think they bleed more than the iSines? They're not much worse than the NightOwls, but those also don't have the best isolation (especially dependent on head size). The DT1770s are like a tank when it comes to bleed, so are the Blue Sadies, and the B&W P7s, among others.

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #213 of 883
The LCD-2CB are pretty darn good at isolating you from outside noises. When I put them on the outside sounds are instantly lowered. To me that's an indication of a pretty good seal, which means minimal sound leakage. I'm not sure the sound is "bleeding" as much as being depicted here.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #215 of 883
OK. Do you not think they bleed more than the iSines? They're not much worse than the NightOwls, but those also don't have the best isolation (especially dependent on head size). The DT1770s are like a tank when it comes to bleed, so are the Blue Sadies, and the B&W P7s, among others.

I don’t see an issue wirh leakages on these. I listen around my family quite a bit and never received any complaints like I do listening with my Focal Clears. In addition, I listen to music and watch sports all the time and I think the isolation is fine.

I have iSine which is an open bac inner ear so that may not be the best comparison. If you meant the “Sine”, I have that also and they are about the same as the LCD-2CB for isolation.

While I’m sure there are closed backs that isolate better like perhaps some that you mentioned, I personally value the sound quality of the Audeze (which yes, is subjective) over the sound and isolating quality of most of those that you mentioned (although I haven’t heard the Elegia yet - but have heard the others).

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #217 of 883
I don’t see an issue wirh leakages on these. I listen around my family quite a bit and never received any complaints like I do listening with my Focal Clears. In addition, I listen to music and watch sports all the time and I think the isolation is fine.

I have iSine which is an open bac inner ear so that may not be the best comparison. If you meant the “Sine”, I have that also and they are about the same as the LCD-2CB for isolation.

While I’m sure there are closed backs that isolate better like perhaps some that you mentioned, I personally value the sound quality of the Audeze (which yes, is subjective) over the sound and isolating quality of most of those that you mentioned (although I haven’t heard the Elegia yet - but have heard the others).

Well, I think I ultimately agree with you; I LOVE the sound of the Audeze, I think they are fantastic. My wife just keeps telling me to learn the music down, lol.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #218 of 883
Well, I think I ultimately agree with you; I LOVE the sound of the Audeze, I think they are fantastic. My wife just keeps telling me to learn the music down, lol.

That seems a bit off to me. I sometimes let my kids listen and I've never heard any leakage from the LCD2-CB headphones. You may want to check to ensure you are getting a proper seal of the ear pads when you wear them. Might want to also test them by having someone else wear them and see if you notice any leakage. If so, you might have a defective unit.

I doubt that listening with the volume even at ear bleeding levels with a proper seal would cause that kind of leakage on the LCD2-Closed backs you describe. The CB might not have the best isolation for a closed headphone, but they shouldn't leak sound out like an open back model.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #219 of 883

You sure you don't actually have the LCD-2C? There are people who are actually confused and think those are closed backs (actually the C stands for Classic and they're open backs!)

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #221 of 883
The bleed on the Elegia's was much less than the Audezes when I demoed them (though the Audezes somehow seem worse now).

I'm sending the Elegia back and swapping for the LCD2 closed backs. My wife has never complained about a closed back leaking until the Elegia. They have large ports on each ear cup (Focal logo) and the microfiber pads did little to keep the sound 'in' so to speak. At least in my experience. The LCD2 closed backs, in all the time I've spent auditioning them, didn't seem to leak much at all (and I do check/test because it does matter in my listening environment). It'll be interesting to revisit this post when I have the cans at home and spend more time with them. I'll confirm, either way, in the near future. I could be entirely wrong...

As a side, I didn't have the ability to audition the Elegia so I decided just to buy it. I had high hopes that the dynamics, layering, textures, and punchiness of the low end would satisfy me. But, I found the low end to be completely underwhelming on the Elegia. Like, I couldn't enjoy the music because I knew something was missing. That said, for folks that don't want a meaty, rich low end, the Elegia is a great can. I could almost, almost look past my issues with the low end. The mids are incredible, it's spacious in sound stage, well imaged (though on some tracks I swear there was a bit of channel imbalance that favored the left channel but was probably track dependent as it wasn't always noticeable), dynamic, full of textures, and the highs were never sibilant or too sharp. On poor recordings (and I have quite a a few bad punk, indie, and hardcore recordings which probably explains the imaging issue!) the Elegia could be relentless. I was reaching for the volume quite often depending on what I was listening to. However, I found that the Elegia could dazzle with masterful female recordings, acoustic, classical, and jazz. Lana, Janelle, Gillian Welch, Einaudi, Fiona, Beving, Cat Power, and Empress Of were some highlights. Also, Glass Animals. Sheesh, great out of the Elegia. There's a lot going on in those recordings.

For me, the Elegia was a good cup of tea. Clear and transparent, crisp, and light. Hell, refreshing at times. And, yet, every time I drink a cup of tea all I can think about is how much better a full bodied, rich single origin espresso tastes. Different flavors for different folks.

Looking forward to the LCD2 closed backs! Will report back.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #223 of 883
I was recommended to get XC at the Elegia thread. Im wondering if you guys like XC better or LCD-2 Closed back?

I had an opportunity to try them both out pretty extensively and didn’t see that much difference. The XC had a slightly wider soundstage and was a bit more sensitive and easier to drive but i didn’t notice much if any difference in the Frequency Range and clarity.

When I took into account the discount that Audeze was briefly offering for the LCD2CB in late August, the decision was a no brained for me.

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #224 of 883
I had an opportunity to try them both out pretty extensively and didn’t see that much difference. The XC had a slightly wider soundstage and was a bit more sensitive and easier to drive but i didn’t notice much if any difference in the Frequency Range and clarity.

When I took into account the discount that Audeze was briefly offering for the LCD2CB in late August, the decision was a no brained for me.

Hi there! I too once had an Elegia and am waiting patiently for my LCD2 closed backs. I auditioned the LCD2 closed backs and XC's a few times and my impressions echo Ken's. The soundstage was just a bit wider on the XC and the treble seemed a bit more upfront. That could have been due to the change in soundstage but I've also read the treble on the XC can be hot. Anyhow, I thought the LCD2 closed back was the better headphone for my preferences. And, it weighs less and is cheaper. :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back