Audeze LCD-1
Jan 29, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #841 of 1,085
I have the Audeze LCD-1 for a week, I come from a ATH-M50x since 2015, which I have listened to extensively and attest to them being legendary. I tried in a local retailer Akg 712pro, Sennheiser HD66X, Focal Elear and Hifiman Sundara, mostly out of a Chord Mojo. Last month I bought a Hifiman HE400S and returned because their sound didn't convince me. The Audeze won me over, I did the stretch and bought them over a special occasion.
I had read many reviews on various headphones and studied their agreed sound characteristics, but there is nothing as trying them in real. Much to my surprise, I don't find them as people usually do. I consider myself audiophile on a budget, but I train my ear, go to classial concerts and have friends in recording studios.

I decided on the lcd-1 because it sounded best to me, it's comfortable and portable, and doesn't need a powerful amplifier, in fact my smartphone drives it great 'almost' as well as my Audinst desktop dac/amp. The mids is what grabbed me most, I hear detail and layers I didn't hear on the other ones. Only Focal Elear challenged this, maybe a bit more spatial (lcd-1 tend to be frontal, like closed), but it certainly needs an amp and wasn't clearly better to me. I wanted to like the Hifimans, thought their sound profile was of my liking but they sounded kind of dry to me, the HE400S worked good with phone and amp, they have silky mids but they didn't engage me, highs were almost filtered. It's true I come from the V-shaped M50X, but I couldn't adapt to them. The Sundara I can't judge them properly because I only tried them on my phone, they sounded better than the HE400S, but shared the same profile, a bit dry, and hanged a bit off my head. My phone couldn't drive them properly. In comparison, I liked the lcd-1 better. The 712pro and 660X I didn't like them (on Mojo), and I am surprised because these are legendary headphones many people love. I couldn't notice for one the soundstage ability of the akg I was expecting.

I begin to believe that headphone appreciation depends on head measurements. I have a thin oval head, and i believe people with wider heads or more perpendicular hear headphones differently. There is a mesument on rtings.com about the lcd-1 being "among the most consistent over-ears we've tested, meaning everyone should experience their sound profile the same way". Maybe that applies to me.

I know so far I haven't commented particularly on Lcd-1 sound, I'd say I am keeping them, and while they are expensive and not perfect they are a clear step up. Mid frequency is detailed and realistic, it's flat there, not forward in any sense. Bass is good and ample, while not as deep as M50X -nor need be, it extends better. I hear a bit of hump on the upper bass, it doesn't get into mids but compared to the other headphones it is more 'dense' there. Mids are delightful, I hear layers and details that continue to awe me. It is soft and delicate there. As for the high region, they are not strident at all, they have some hole up there somewhere, the upper highs are not that extended but it has enough detail and presence. I wouldn't call this a clinical phone on highs, they are just present and not metallic sounding. This is a phone to enjoy middle frequencies above all. It's curious, the Focal Elear had some hole aswell on high frequencies, but in a different region than lcd-1.

They make great phones for movies, old soundtracks with old microphones and dialogs extract the 'meat' from them. Classical music sound great with them, I can hear brass, winds, strings...
Being just 16 ohms they are easily driven. I wonder if they lack heft and damping factor as other higher impedance phones with more voltage and power capacity, but this is something I don't know for now.

Well, I think I'll leave it here. Hope it helps you guys.

EDIT: Two months later, I'd like to add to the review that I tend to sense a little push on this headphones on higher bass frequencies (100-200Hz). It doesn't bleed into midrange, but I think it's there with different sources. Since this headphone doesn't have much presence on mid-highs in my opinion, and it's more mid centered it leads to notice more the high-bass region. I think it can fatigue a bit. In that sense, when I switch to my ATH-M50x, sometimes it's more 'agreeable'. The same as ATH-M50x can be fatiguing on highs.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #843 of 1,085
I have the Audeze LCD-1 for a week, I come from a ATH-M50x since 2015, which I have listened to extensively and attest to them being legendary. I tried in a local retailer Akg 712pro, Sennheiser HD66X, Focal Elear and Hifiman Sundara, mostly out of a Chord Mojo. Last month I bought a Hifiman HE400S and returned because their sound didn't convince me. The Audeze won me over, I did the stretch and bought them over a special occasion.
I had read many reviews on various headphones and studied their agreed sound characteristics, but there is nothing as trying them in real. Much to my surprise, I don't find them as people usually do. I consider myself audiophile on a budget, but I train my ear, go to classial concerts and have friends in recording studios.

I decided on the lcd-1 because it sounded best to me, it's comfortable and portable, and doesn't need a powerful amplifier, in fact my smartphone drives it great 'almost' as well as my Audinst desktop dac/amp. The mids is what grabbed me most, I hear detail and layers I didn't hear on the other ones. Only Focal Elear challenged this, maybe a bit more spatial (lcd-1 tend to be frontal, like closed), but it certainly needs an amp and wasn't clearly better to me. I wanted to like the Hifimans, thought their sound profile was of my liking but they sounded kind of dry to me, the HE400S worked good with phone and amp, they have silky mids but they didn't engage me, highs were almost filtered. It's true I come from the V-shaped M50X, but I couldn't adapt to them. The Sundara I can't judge them properly because I only tried them on my phone, they sounded better than the HE400S, but shared the same profile, a bit dry, and hanged a bit off my head. My phone couldn't drive them properly. In comparison, I liked the lcd-1 better. The 712pro and 660X I didn't like them (on Mojo), and I am surprised because these are legendary headphones many people love. I couldn't notice for one the soundstage ability of the akg I was expecting.

I begin to believe that headphone appreciation depends on head measurements. I have a thin oval head, and i believe people with wider heads or more perpendicular hear headphones differently. There is a mesument on rtings.com about the lcd-1 being "among the most consistent over-ears we've tested, meaning everyone should experience their sound profile the same way". Maybe that applies to me.

I know so far I haven't commented particularly on Lcd-1 sound, I'd say I am keeping them, and while they are expensive and not perfect they are a clear step up. Mid frequency is detailed and realistic, it's flat there, not forward in any sense. Bass is good and ample, while not as deep as M50X -nor need be, it extends better. I hear a bit of hump on the upper bass, it doesn't get into mids but compared to the other headphones it is more 'dense' there. Mids are delightful, I hear layers and details that continue to awe me. It is soft and delicate there. As for the high region, they are not strident at all, they have some hole up there somewhere, the upper highs are not that extended but it has enough detail and presence. I wouldn't call this a clinical phone on highs, they are just present and not metallic sounding. This is a phone to enjoy middle frequencies above all. It's curious, the Focal Elear had some hole aswell on high frequencies, but in a different region than lcd-1.

They make great phones for movies, old soundtracks with old microphones and dialogs extract the 'meat' from them. Classical music sound great with them, I can hear brass, winds, strings...
Being just 16 ohms they are easily driven. I wonder if they lack heft and damping factor as other higher impedance phones with more voltage and power capacity, but this is something I don't know for now.

Well, I think I'll leave it here. Hope it helps you guys.
akg is a joke compared with Audeze.

Feb 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #844 of 1,085
I have tried many headphones in my life, but I'm really impressed by the LCD-1, for the price, I haven't heard anything like this :) Let it play for at least 100 hours, and they will reward you with a very balanced sound, neutral, but still fun, with the right material and source the sound is awesome, deep bass and wonderful highs, without any fatique.

But I need a recommendation for a longer cable, I would like 3 meters of good quality, the cables in the box are great, just a little too short for my need, as my amp is 3 meters away :)

Thanks

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #848 of 1,085
I thought my adventure with headphones was over. After owning LCD-2 without razor, rev 2 I believe, few revisions of LCD-X and XC, iSine and Sine series, I also compared dozen of frequency chart graphs of headphones but I only stuck with Sony MDR-7506 for audio editing as I do it for a living. But few days ago I was passing by audio store and I saw few Audeze headphones and I decided to spend some time by the amps. I first listen to LCD-1 and I was surprised by the resolution and imaging, they were so wide and somehow revealing that I strongly considered buying them for mixing and editing. Then I checked LCD-2 Classic Closed Back and I was also surprised by the sound quality (to not get too much int technical details) and XC (which I always liked) plus LCD-2 Classic (which pretty much resembled LCD-2 rev2 with a touch of LCD-2 - new ones) and there was that classic Audeze sound signature plus the classic Audeze weight which I must say I was much better handling with the new headband.
The LCD-1 was I bit different, the resolution was a bit better that the former ones but to be fair the LCD-2's plus XC were "bigger" sounding. The scaling was noticeable expanded and I must say Classic's were better than I thought (than other people described).

So I couldn't resist. I bought LCD-1 and what I can say after few hours of listening is that they are great for audio work so they serve the purpose. I use few different limiters while mixing and I can now hear the difference in distortion levels in these limiters that I have never heard. Quite impressive I must say. The only thing that I missed from it's bigger brothers is that scaling (but please do not mistake it with imaging which on LCD-1 is superb to any other headphones I ever heard). I use it now to work and I rarely take them off cause when I take a break from editing I enjoy listening to music as much as I enjoy checking differences in my limiters distortion levels.

Really glad to be back in head-fi world with such discovery.

Edit: my MacBook is constantly autocorrecting fazor to razor. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #849 of 1,085
I thought my adventure with headphones was over. After owning LCD-2 without razor, rev 2 I believe, few revisions of LCD-X and XC, iSine and Sine series, I also compared dozen of frequency chart graphs of headphones but I only stuck with Sony MDR-7506 for audio editing as I do it for a living. But few days ago I was passing by audio store and I saw few Audeze headphones and I decided to spend some time by the amps. I first listen to LCD-1 and I was surprised by the resolution and imaging, they were so wide and somehow revealing that I strongly considered buying them for mixing and editing. Then I checked LCD-2 Classic Closed Back and I was also surprised by the sound quality (to not get too much int technical details) and XC (which I always liked) plus LCD-2 Classic (which pretty much resembled LCD-2 rev2 with a touch of LCD-2 - new ones) and there was that classic Audeze sound signature plus the classic Audeze weight which I must say I was much better handling with the new headband.
The LCD-1 was I bit different, the resolution was a bit better that the former ones but to be fair the LCD-2's plus XC were "bigger" sounding. The scaling was noticeable expanded and I must say Classic's were better than I thought (than other people described).

So I couldn't resist. I bought LCD-1 and what I can say after few hours of listening is that they are great for audio work so they serve the purpose. I use few different limiters while mixing and I can now hear the difference in distortion levels in these limiters that I have never heard. Quite impressive I must say. The only thing that I missed from it's bigger brothers is that scaling (but please do not mistake it with imaging which on LCD-1 is superb to any other headphones I ever heard). I use it now to work and I rarely take them off cause when I take a break from editing I enjoy listening to music as much as I enjoy checking differences in my limiters distortion levels.

Really glad to be back in head-fi world with such discovery.

Edit: my MacBook is constantly autocorrecting fazor to razor. Sorry about that.

How would you compare the LCD-1s to the Audeze Sine series since you mentioned you've owned them previously?

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #850 of 1,085
How would you compare the LCD-1s to the Audeze Sine series since you mentioned you've owned them previously?

Compared to Sine the first thing that comes to mind is comfort. That's quite obvious as Sine are on-ears and in my opinion that might affect impression of sounding less spacious than over-ears. I haven't compared these two specs and graphs but I think larger(?) drivers on LCD-1 will do better work on sounding less compressed and wider. As I mentioned not as big as other LCD's but definitely "bigger" than Sine. Also I cannot compare them side by side right now but I don't think I have heard that "high resolution" highs on Sine. They were also a great listening experience but I didn't liked them as much from the first listening as I liked LCD-1. That's pretty subjective, I know.

Soundwise they're not that far from each other (quite similar sound signature) with better resolution and soundstage on LCD-1.

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #851 of 1,085
Compared to Sine the first thing that comes to mind is comfort. That's quite obvious as Sine are on-ears and in my opinion that might affect impression of sounding less spacious than over-ears. I haven't compared these two specs and graphs but I think larger(?) drivers on LCD-1 will do better work on sounding less compressed and wider. As I mentioned not as big as other LCD's but definitely "bigger" than Sine. Also I cannot compare them side by side right now but I don't think I have heard that "high resolution" highs on Sine. They were also a great listening experience but I didn't liked them as much from the first listening as I liked LCD-1. That's pretty subjective, I know.

Soundwise they're not that far from each other (quite similar sound signature) with better resolution and soundstage on LCD-1.
Thanks for that! The reason I'm asking was because I recently got an Audeze Sine as my portable closed can, but has pads on them that's more over ear so it somewhat makes up for the comfort issue.

From there, I'm seeing if getting the LCD-1s as a more home use that could sound similar or better than the Sines for home use to complement my HD650s would be an ideal purchase.

Your input helped! I appreciate it.

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #854 of 1,085
Apparently it's going to be bluetooth, something like the Drop Panda. Other than sound signature I expect them to be very similar.
Yeah, and the Panda already looks like the LCD-1. I’m just hoping they retain the sound qualities of the LCD-1 and Mobius. It also sounds like it’ll have a cipher cable as well so it probably won’t be strictly Bluetooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back