Audeze LCD-1
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #451 of 1,085
This afternoon I got back home and tried a couple of other balanced cables I had--to no avail. Apparently Audeze has its own wiring scheme for the LCD-1.

So I sat down to listen to the them again unbalanced, and after a few minutes just got irritated with the sound. I guess they're not for me. IMO they sound thin and a bit bright from the FiiO M11 and the Hiby R3. And since the whole point of these was to have a portable open back planar option, I didn't bother to try them again with the desktop amps. I guess they could sound better balanced, but I'm unwilling to spend the money on special balanced cables and risk the sound not meeting my expectations. So I'm returning them.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #452 of 1,085
... I never thought I'd find Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" or the Aja album to be irritating. ...
To my ears, "Dreams" and the rest of the Rumours album have always been sonically irritating, mastered with boosted treble. It's a fantastic rock album but sadly, like too many great rock albums, it deserved a better recording. Periodically, remastered versions of these classic albums are released, and all too often each sounds even worse than the last, as they increase dynamic compression to make it sound as loud as possible. Even more ironic, they release the version having less dynamic range, in 24-bit! One notable exception is Steven Wilson's remixes. The original Yes albums were so tinny and crunchy they were painful to listen to. He transformed them into a balanced, rich, dynamic sound that is real ear candy to match the great music. I'd love to see a Steven Wilson remix of Rumours, but I suspect that's just a "dream". <g>

Yet occasionally some albums go the opposite way. Like the original 1975 Journey album or for example Patricia Barber's album "Modern Cool" which is ridiculously over-bassed. So selecting a system that is intentionally non-neutral in order to complement flaws in the recordings, is an unwinnable war. What's better for one recording is inherently worse for others. I'd rather have a neutral system that portrays these albums as they really are, then have DSP or some kind of EQ to adjust the worst offenders.

... I found the mids on the 650 to be too forward or, as some have described, too "shouty." ... I never thought the 6XX's bass was particularly noteworthy; when compared to planars, I found it to lack comparable texture, nuance and extension. ... the mid-range is the strongest area for the HD650, in my opinion.
Agreed.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #453 of 1,085
The thing is the HD660s does not have that viel compared to the models before it, so I'm hoping I like the sound of the LCD-1s otherwise will let it go and get the hd660s back.

What i liked about the HD660s, is that Senn really did make a 3rd HD6 Headphone(s)
It certainly sounds tonally different then the 600 or 650.
I think a lot of reviewers were looking for an 650 upgrade, but, the 660 is not that...
The sound polarized Senn HD6 lovers a bit, but, a lot of listeners do love it.
Ive a feeling that the LCD-1 is going to be a bright sounding set.
If i put them on and they remind me of HifIman bright then i wont be surprised.
It would take an exceedingly brilliant design to get the Audeze thickness of sound, inside the LCD-1 without using a larger cup.
The LCD-1 isnt a large cup.
Has anyone compared them to the sound of the SINE?
ON the bright side, im still happy that at least one reviewer was quoted as saying they compared well, regarding the sound of the LCD-X.

This afternoon I got back home and tried a couple of other balanced cables I had--to no avail. Apparently Audeze has its own wiring scheme for the LCD-1.

So I sat down to listen to the them again unbalanced, and after a few minutes just got irritated with the sound. I guess they're not for me. IMO they sound thin and a bit bright from the FiiO M11 and the Hiby R3. And since the whole point of these was to have a portable open back planar option, I didn't bother to try them again with the desktop amps. I guess they could sound better balanced, but I'm unwilling to spend the money on special balanced cables and risk the sound not meeting my expectations. So I'm returning them.

Thanks for the insight.
Your disappointment seems to correlate with my initial feeling about that one blub that Audeze uses on their LCD-1 website.
For some reason i always get this "uh oh" feeling when a Headphone builder wants to mostly talk about the Treble, in their Ad.
Sorry you didn't love them., but, there are always more headphones coming your way...:)
It could well be that your next headphone purchase, will cause your soul to Atrial Project itself onto the ceiling and just dance and dance and dance.

I hope you don't find the treble harsh. It wasn't like that all the time for me... just "sometimes." Overall I like them, but at this point I'm not sure I'll be keeping them.

Occasionally, i am just too hyped with expectation regarding all the waiting for that set to arrive......so I finally get them, and i hate them.
With these im trying to keep a low profile expectation.
Its probably a good thing that i expect them to be the Sundara's sound but brighter, as if they are not, i might really love them..

And, I never thought I'd find Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" or the Aja album to be irritating. The power of just a Massdrop CTH improved things greatly over mobile devices, but still, "Kodachrome" should be completely pleasant.

I was also missing some of the glockenspiel on "Mr. Tillman" by FJM, compared to 6xx and little Blon 03.

Hummm.

The SD AJA album is one i also use to check for blistering treble and missing bass issues.. An unfortunate headphone sound, will hate the Aja Album, as it will sting the ears regarding any headphone that is treble etched.
Such a set of headphones will also cause this album to sound very brittle, and worst case, D. Fagan's vocals will sound razor THIN and DISTANT.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #454 of 1,085
when a Headphone builder wants to mostly talk about the Treble, in their Ad.
We usually look for a few quotes that are short and crips, so we can post on the site and on social media. In addition to the quote from metal, we also posted a few quotes from Manny Marroquin, Bob Katz and Carlos De La Graza. Between them they have almost a dozen or more Grammy awards. All three of them had the LCD1s for a while before the release to test them and give us their opinion. Our goal with LCD1 was to create a neutral yet musical sounding headphone that is light weight. Can be used by both Audiophiles and Pros..much like the LCD-Xs.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 1, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #456 of 1,085
There's some way to improve comfort or sound changing the lcd-1 earpads? I actually have a shure srh1540 and love the alcantara pads, but i want to know the sound of an open, and planar headphone with equal or better comfort.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #457 of 1,085
I have the MoFi remastered CD of Aja from the 1980s, which I assume is at least as good as the original (maybe not?). It's better than the average rock/pop recording, especially from that era, but that's a low bar. It's one of those albums that sounds good at first, then the more I listen the less great it sounds.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #458 of 1,085
And here we go! Quick unboxing and my detailed first impressions live.
These are a formidable set of open planars, and as I suspected they do present more like an LCD-X than an LCD-2.
Deep Dive sound review coming soon-ish. Enjoy!

Fantastic review whether or not you liked the LCD-1. And along with @metal571 's and Steve Guttenberg's review, definitely instills confidence on an impulse purchase prodded by a want for Planars that don't feel like a literal pain in the neck.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #459 of 1,085
It could well be that your next headphone purchase, will cause your soul to Atrial Project itself onto the ceiling and just dance and dance and dance.
Ha! You’re funny :)
That’s what I would call an “out-of-head” experience!

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #460 of 1,085
That is quite an accurate description of what it is. LCD1 sounds like an LCD2 with a 4k boost EQ running in the mids, and without the strange hump around 1k
Metal your soundstage and imaging description of the hd6XX's was spot on. It's like if you close your eyes and you see 3 dots. The imaging and soundstage is divided between the 3, and you can only see and experience one at a time.To me The soundstage goes through 3 phases, acceptable, intimate, and claustrophobic. The LCD1 being reference and not having the typical Audeze sound, will it have a sound for those who ain't had a Audeze that's unique.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #461 of 1,085
Ha! You’re funny :)
That’s what I would call an “out-of-head” experience!

If your headphones don't get you HIGH< then you need another set that does..... :)
Just keep buying till you find that set,..... Its out there.
A good set of headphones, correctly applying music into your soul, via your ears, ...... has long been my drug of choice.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #462 of 1,085
We usually look for a few quotes that are short and crips, so we can post on the site and on social media. In addition to the quote from metal, we also posted a few quotes from Manny Marroquin, Bob Katz and Carlos De La Graza. Between them they have almost a dozen or more Grammy awards. All three of them had the LCD1s for a while before the release to test them and give us their opinion. Our goal with LCD1 was to create a neutral yet musical sounding headphone that is light weight. Can be used by both Audiophiles and Pros..much like the LCD-Xs.

And its good to know that these endorsers were not paid to review your headphones, and that they had to send them back.
Thats good to know.
As for me, whenever mine finally show up, im going to review them, and that'll be my pleasure.
Im Order #2360.
"2nd day Fedex". ordered on the 17th.
I hope to see them the week of Nov 4th, as i dont have them yet.
I'll be sure to review them accurately, truthfully, based on and according to my many years as a Sound - Mix engineer who has listened to hundreds of Headphones and owns a HI-FI Shop's worth.
If these are the killer affordable Reference gear you think they are, that you have described them to be, then i'll recognize this, and definitely state it in the Review.
Also, if they remind me of my LCD-Xs, then i'll be sure to mention this also, in my review.
Looking forward to it....:)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #463 of 1,085
And its good to know that these endorsers were not paid to review your headphones, and that they had to send them back.
Thats good to know.
As for me, whenever mine finally show up, im going to review them, and that'll be my pleasure.
Im Order #2360.
"2nd day Fedex". ordered on the 17th.
I hope to see them the week of Nov 4th, as i dont have them yet.
I'll be sure to review them accurately, truthfully, based on and according to my many years as a Sound - Mix engineer who has listened to hundreds of Headphones and owns a HI-FI Shop's worth.
If these are the killer affordable Reference gear you think they are, that you have described them to be, then i'll recognize this, and definitely state it in the Review.
Also, if they remind me of my LCD-Xs, then i'll be sure to mention this also, in my review.
Looking forward to it....:)

@FullBright1,

I look forward to your review.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back