Audeze LCD-1
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #481 of 1,087
As a CEO of Audeze, I probably would not have passed the Lcd1 project. Actually Audeze has sent Metal571 the Lcd1 because he represents the average american. I would have rather promoted a lighthouse project. For example, a LCD 5.
I hope that will forgive me because that is a cultural difference.
That is a problem of many american brands that represent only average in comparison to german brands. If the manufacturer of the drivers of ZMF shut then Zach will make tables and chairs in the future.
Probably Audeze will make a lot of money with the lcd1,

For a lot of companies these far-reaching middle level products are the ones that fund the extensive research and development it takes to make a flagship. The flagships, in turn, allow them to push the bounds of their tech, raise their prestige, and end up featuring innovations that trickle down to the other products in the line-up. I would be surprised if that weren't the case here, as well. You want an LCD-5, well we are now probably closer to that happening with the release of the LCD-1.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #482 of 1,087
Isn't Pinocchio the one who told us recently that the LCD-1 sounds like the LCD-X? And im pretty certain that the LCD-X does not sound anything like the LCD2.
I wonder what Snow White thinks about the LCD-1s?

Or the Seven for that matter, @FullBright1.

I agree with you there, LCD X doesn't sound like LCD 2, more partial to the X in any case.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #483 of 1,087
For a lot of companies these far-reaching middle level products are the ones that fund the extensive research and development it takes to make a flagship. The flagships, in turn, allow them to push the bounds of their tech, raise their prestige, and end up featuring innovations that trickle down to the other products in the line-up. I would be surprised if that weren't the case here, as well. You want an LCD-5, well we are now probably closer to that happening with the release of the LCD-1.

More than true, @phthora,

This is what usually happens but as there is no demo where I am for at least another month, can't say for sure how LCD 1 rates on its own, as personally & subjectively, I don't compare headphones directly in anything but technical ability & how said head gear sits with its own merits.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #484 of 1,087
"LCD1 sounds like an LCD2"
Probably Audeze will make a lot of money with the lcd1,

They already have.....
Where American companies make a mistake is when they over-hype something, to sell it.
Audiophiles (like all of us), are attracted like bugs to a bright light regarding certain buzz words.
Buzz works like, "audiophile", or "Reference quality"...or "World's best".. "trickle down Tech". "Studio Quality"..
WE hear this, and we throw our money down.... while we know that none of these bumper stickers can be proven.
Its all just pretty nomenclature, because, for example, you can't prove what "reference quality" means....
And if your $3400 USD Headphone flagship is "reference quality, and your $399 USD Headphone is also advertised as...."reference quality", then ...... ??????????????????????????????????????
So, What exactly is the de-facto standard set of headphones, that set the bar, regarding reference quality sound?
A.) NADA. B.) Moot. C.) Next Question Please
I'll tell you where it is... "reference quality"< is found only in the opinion of every headphone builder... exactly... as its found only in the opinion of every Audiophile.

Companies understand all this, and from there.......is where the Marketing Pinocchio starts to grow.....
Lets say a company spends a gazallion dollars on a product to design it, fabricate it, test it, and then, they realize its horrible... The headphones sound horrible... Harsh, too bright, just awful.
Do you think they are not going to try to make you pay for their mistake(s)?
They will clothe their mistake with this phrase... "sound is subjective". as this is their escape route.
And how will they then try to make you pay?
= Go ask Pinocchio... He knows..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #485 of 1,087
The SD AJA album is one i also use to check for blistering treble and missing bass issues.. An unfortunate headphone sound, will hate the Aja Album, as it will sting the ears regarding any headphone that is treble etched.
Such a set of headphones will also cause this album to sound very brittle, and worst case, D. Fagan's vocals will sound razor THIN and DISTANT.

To my ears, "Dreams" and the rest of the Rumours album have always been sonically irritating, mastered with boosted treble. It's a fantastic rock album but sadly, like too many great rock albums, it deserved a better recording.
Jeezus, what kind of crap masterings are you guys using? The original vinyl issues of these sound wonderful.

No wonder we get so many varying opinions on headphone sound :weary:

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #486 of 1,087
I probably shouldn't have bothered to start posting on Head-Fi again.

Edit: this will be my very last post in this thread. See you on YouTube and thanks to those people who have actually listened to what I've said
Your contributions are much appreciated. Put the trolls on ignore and keep on rolling.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #487 of 1,087
Jeezus, what kind of crap masterings are you guys using? The original vinyl issues of these sound wonderful.

No wonder we get so many varying opinions on headphone sound :weary:

Um, the other poster is using a Mobile Fidelity Remaster of the AJA tracks.
Im just using the latest remaster.
And as we both stated, the sound quality of these releases is very good. However, if the headphones being use to listen to them are not good, then this particular release will bring this to light.
This is what we were explaining.
You should try to find the MOFI release or the most recent CD remastered release of AJA, as both sound as good as the original Vinyl, if you have good Compact Disc reproduction equipment.
Both will easily compete with the sound of the early vinyl release you mentioned, and if AJA has been re-released on Vinyl, it'll sound better then the original.
I think Bob Ludwig remastered the re-release, and if He didnt, then Fagan and Becker probably used "Sterling Sound" and got Ted Jensen or Greg Calbi to do it., would be my guess.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #488 of 1,087
Um, the other poster is using a Mobile Fidelity Remaster of the AJA tracks.
Im just using the latest remaster.
And as we both stated, the sound quality of these releases is very good. However, if the headphones being use to listen to them are not good, then this particular release will bring this to light.
This is what we were explaining.
You should try to find the MOFI release or the most recent CD remastered release of AJA, as both sound as good as the original Vinyl, if you have good Compact Disc reproduction equipment.
Both will easily compete with the sound of the early vinyl release you mentioned, and if AJA has been re-released on Vinyl, it'll sound better then the original.
I think Bob Ludwig remastered the re-release, and if He didnt, then Fagan and Becker probably used "Sterling Sound" and got Ted Jensen or Greg Calbi to do it., would be my guess.

Well said, @FullBright1, as always...

Also agree. :)

Hearing matters too which many in this hobby fail to take into account, never mind the gear involved.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #491 of 1,087
Lets say a company spends a gazallion dollars on a product to design it, fabricate it, test it, and then, they realize its horrible... The headphones sound horrible... Harsh, too bright, just awful.
Do you think they are not going to try to make you pay for their mistake(s)?
They will clothe their mistake with this phrase... "sound is subjective". as this is their escape route.
Sounds like a fair description of Ultrasone.

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #494 of 1,087
I am trying to decide between 3 headphones which i have not listened to:
1. Audeze LCD-1.
2. Meze 99 Neo.
3. New Aeon 2 from Dan Clarke Audio.

Go with Dan's new gear.
The reason being.... The previous incarnation of the Aion C Flow and the Flow open, are very good headphones..
So, the pedigree is already established as alive and kicking, and so, it can only be better with the 2nd Gen.
The LCD1, is a new kid on the block that will be cosmetically refined and sonically updated in 2021 to achieve its best sound, as this is how the game is played.
You never get the best version, right out of the gate, except for maybe the HD600 HD650, or the (LCD-X), for example, that will probably be a bit better in the 2nd Gen.
Go with Dan.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #495 of 1,087
Go with Dan's new gear.
The reason being.... The previous incarnation of the Aion C Flow and the Flow open, are very good headphones..
So, the pedigree is already established as alive and kicking, and so, it can only be better with the 2nd Gen.
The LCD1, is a new kid on the block that will be cosmetically refined and sonically updated in 2021 to achieve its best sound, as this is how the game is played.
You never get the best version, right out of the gate, except for maybe the HD600 HD650, or the (LCD-X), for example, that will probably be a bit better in the 2nd Gen.
Go with Dan.
But the LCD-1 might be an iteration based on previously launched Audeze Mobius. It looks like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back