Audeze LCD-1
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #961 of 1,085
Well, just bought these at the end of October, and the right driver is dead after only around 5 hours of use, first time that has ever happened to me considering the amount of Audeze products I own, luckily it is under warranty, will be sending them back in the next day or two for driver replacement.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #964 of 1,085
Does anynody have the connection scheme specific to the LCD-1 connectors ?
Something like this (this is only an example, it's the MySphere connection scheme) :

Attachments

• connector_scheme_Myspere.JPG.jpg
    connector_scheme_Myspere.JPG.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #966 of 1,085
The wiring on both cups a simple stereo 3.5 plugs.
On each end there is
Tip = left positive
Ring = right positive
Sleeve = ground

There's no dedicated left or right plug, they're both the same.
Like a fully splitted 3.5 aux cable. :wink:

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #967 of 1,085
The wiring on both cups a simple stereo 3.5 plugs.
On each end there is
Tip = left positive
Ring = right positive
Sleeve = ground

There's no dedicated left or right plug, they're both the same.
Like a fully splitted 3.5 aux cable. :wink:
Thank you for both (and cohérent :wink: ) answers !

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #968 of 1,085
With that scheme, is it possible to have a balanced cable ?

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #969 of 1,085
Happy new year. :)

Yes, it is, easily.
The final termination is dedicated by the wiring in the cups themselves.

Depending on the plug, you can use the same scheme or alter it to its parts.
That means:

Left side:
Tip = positive
Ring = none
Sleeve = negative/ground

Right side:
Tip = none
Ring = positive
Sleeve = negative/ground

BR
Chris

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #970 of 1,085
Thank you very much :)

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #972 of 1,085
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #973 of 1,085
I wish some manufacture would provide balanced xlr cable for LCD-1. I would love to use it with Mytek Brooklyn and this adapter for example: https://mytekdigital.com/storeeu/hifi-products/bal-head-adptr.html assuming the price of the cable would not exceed half of the price of cans :wink:
I had look at linked adapter and balanced cable connected to that adapter and to DAC will work. Dual jack looks like proprietary solution from Mytek. However, mechanical connections add up with adapters. What about dual 1/4 cable that connects DAC and 'phones directly?

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #975 of 1,085
I have had these for a while now. I'm an audio engineer and audiophile listener. I will say that for engineering purposes that I am very impressed. The reveal plugin running in my DAW makes them a great eq reference that translates well to everything. The headphones have a good FR curve without it so they are still functional without it.

The concept of a precision eq platform to work on for only $400 is fantastic. The level of detail retrieval is sufficient enough to do a lot of tasks that a lot of headphones and low end monitoring systems are not capable of especially fine tuning and choosing saturation characteristics. They lack dynamics in an odd type of way, yet still allow you to really hear them and still work with them well enough. I feel like everything is presented in an efficient compact way to interpret. That compact and easy to interpret package that sound arrives in isn't necessarily ideal for audiophile listening like it is for audio engineering. The soundstage is small which is not fun. However the stereo imaging is pretty decent which for audio engineering is a strong point that makes them more functional.

Nowadays Reveal works smoothly in equalizer APO and reveal has added linear phase eq. The linear phase eq is fantastic for audiophile listening compared to minimal phase. I find that really compelling for budget audiophile listening for sure. The latency or running linear phase is so large that minimal phase is the only option that you can use for watching videos, MAYBE live monitoring or playing a game. The Reveal plugin is a strong feature of these headphones.

For audiophile listening I do not like them as much. I wouldn't be wholly satisfied as them being my only way to listen to audio available to me personally even though they are better that what I had for most of my life so far. My ears are spoiled and tuned in at this point.

The earcups make a great seal and are comfortable(the absolute strongest point of the build quality of these), but my ear feels like it's in this small space with the driver and every time there is heavy bass I feel fatigued by the pressure buildup inside the cup. The detail level is fantastic and allows you to hear everything that is happening without missing much, but there is another layer of inconsequential yet very entertaining detail that these do not produce. The timbres are not as accurate as I would like either.

For a portable headphone these sit at the oddest place. They do excel at some aspects of portability like size, weight and ease to drive them, but are open back and have a fragile feeling build quality. They don't have the chops to fit in on a desk as a main headphone that is used with an amp as a primary listening setup for me. For people on a budget that falls into this pricerange I would have to personally hear a Sundara before I could truly know how they stand up for this context at their pricepoint, but I do know that from all the opinions I have read it doesn't look like the LCD-1 stands up to them for that purpose.

I perfectly understand why audiophile reviewers that have heard all of the options on the market aren't impressed by these. They are great for engineering and quite an oddball for the audiophile crowd.

Engineering 9/10
Audiophile listening 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back