Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #6,001 of 7,352
Karthik sent me this a while ago:

The amp and DAC on your Sony walkman is likely better than the Cipher, but tonal changes brought out by a well implemented EQ is easier for our ears to perceive than the improvement to the signal fidelity brought by a superior Amp/DAC. A 10 band EQ does not have the same resolution of a parametric EQ. To test this you can try a couple of things. IF your Sony allows it to be used as a DAC out of PC/MAC, try Audeze Reveal plugin and choose iSine20 preset, leave the 10 band EQ to flat. If your Sony allows apps, try the Neutron player which has parameteric EQ. I have posted about it on the iSine thread.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
-Karthick​

I can confirm that even with high-end DAPs, the cipher cable with iSine 20 will make them sound better, it just hits the right spots for them to play well :)

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #6,002 of 7,352
Using Audeze Reveal sounds pretty good. The 10 band EQ can get close, but not quite match it. I just wish I hadn't spent stupid money on the balanced cable. I learned with experience. :wink:

I ordered the Cipher BT. Audeze has a phenomenal return policy so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #6,003 of 7,352
Does the bluetooth module work well with phones having BT 4.2? How will the sound quality be affected? I am wary of wireless and "high audio quality" claims.

Also what's the point of wireless if the iSine are open and not meant to be used anywhere but the quiet environment of your home?
I honestly use these while I'm out all the time. When you are listening to a stereo you are subject to the other possible sounds going on around you. Unless I'm in an extremely noisy environment, say construction or other high volume machines, I still prefer the sound from my isine over my closed iem

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #6,004 of 7,352
Because the isine are not designed to be inserted in your ear canal. They are designed to sit loosely at the opening of your ear. I have owned isine 10 and 20 and they are far from stable. If you choose to insert them you will loose the soundstage and sense of openness that makes the isine so special. Others of course may have different experiences.
I have used my iSine 10's for running and had no problems with them coming out. If the ear hooks are adjusted right the stay rather stable. But I suppose everyone's ears are different.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #6,005 of 7,352
@Audeze @KMann

Now that there is a way for an Android phone to drive an iSine iem via Cipher DSP goodness (mine is on order; even tho I'm worried about getting loud enough for me) ... can you confirm that a port of the iPhone Audeze EQ phone app to the Android platform available via Google Play is on the roadmap and forthcoming?

Much thanx for making this BT cable available!

P.s. if you didn't already answer the person that asked earlier ... wondering why it's not LDAC capable like my Mobius? Driving the Mobius w/ and w/o LDAC makes a big difference. I assumed wrongly that my Samsung Note 8 could do aptX HD. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #6,006 of 7,352
I can confirm that even with high-end DAPs, the cipher cable with iSine 20 will make them sound better, it just hits the right spots for them to play well :)

I think that is subjective. For instance I use the Isine 20 standard cable with the Astell & Kern Sp1000m with EQ off and to me this blows away anything the cipher cable can do.

I personally feel that the cipher cable is overhyped, but that could be subjective to me coming from A&Ultima tuning, which I feel is far superior.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #6,007 of 7,352
can you confirm that a port of the iPhone Audeze EQ phone app to the Android platform available via Google Play is on the roadmap and forthcoming
Unfortunately theSDK for the BT chipset used, does not support EQ changes on the fly, so there will not be an EQ app. But there are several apps on Android platform that can be used to accomplish the same.

P.s. if you didn't already answer the person that asked earlier ... wondering why it's not LDAC capable like my Mobius? Driving the Mobius w/ and w/o LDAC makes a big difference. I assumed wrongly that my Samsung Note 8 could do aptX HD. :facepalm:
It would have required us to use two different chipsets to be used, making the design too complex.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #6,008 of 7,352
Android has had external USB OTG DACs forever. There is no difference between using USB or lighting other than lightning being proprietary along with an apple stigma. The only reason why we don't see micro USB/USB C headphones is because android devices have and will continue to have a 3.5mm jack
Haha the future is here and you're wrong.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #6,009 of 7,352
Android has had external USB OTG DACs forever. There is no difference between using USB or lighting other than lightning being proprietary along with an apple stigma. The only reason why we don't see micro USB/USB C headphones is because android devices have and will continue to have a 3.5mm jack

I'm not saying that I haven't heard some amazing OTG USB cables like NextDrive SpectraX, but embedding that into headphones means adding a hefty amount to the cost of a headphone, the USB DAC / AMP is pretty expensive if it sounds good, and there are good DAPs that can dedicate more physical space for better capacitors, than a small USB OTG dongle :)

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #6,010 of 7,352
I think that is subjective. For instance I use the Isine 20 standard cable with the Astell & Kern Sp1000m with EQ off and to me this blows away anything the cipher cable can do.

I personally feel that the cipher cable is overhyped, but that could be subjective to me coming from A&Ultima tuning, which I feel is far superior.

Of course it is subjective, but there are some tweaks to the midrange that make me like the Cipher cable than any DAP I tried with them with EQ off. Interesting that you like them that way though, and you shouldn't change your position about it

I have not heard A&Ultima to say how they pair with iSine 20, but I don't expect it to have the midrange tweaks the cipher cable does, so this means you like the midrange better in the original state, which is intriguing

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #6,011 of 7,352
So.. the new cipher bt cable works with Android, and the cable has dsp for stock audeze eq settings?

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #6,012 of 7,352
Of course it is subjective, but there are some tweaks to the midrange that make me like the Cipher cable than any DAP I tried with them with EQ off. Interesting that you like them that way though, and you shouldn't change your position about it

I have not heard A&Ultima to say how they pair with iSine 20, but I don't expect it to have the midrange tweaks the cipher cable does, so this means you like the midrange better in the original state, which is intriguing

I tried the standard cable with my smartphone and they sounded muffled and muddy. I also used both cables with my IPad Pro, and there was a difference between the standard and cipher, it wasn't night and day but an audiophile can definitely tell the difference. This was with a flat EQ.
On the IPad there is an EQ setting called 'Late Night', I found that setting with the 3.5mm to open up the soundstage more, but neutral overall sound. Sounded good to me. Both cables sound superb, don't get me wrong.

But for me when I plugged the Isine20 with standard cable in my Sp1000m player (no EQ), it was amazing, everything was neutral and balanced, no frequency outweighed the other, the transparency took my breath away. There was no midrange issue to me, nothing sounded harsh or bloated. I find myself moving my head in all directions picking up each instrument when listening to them as if the instruments are all around me being played live just for me.

I think I would definitely agree with you if I wasn't using it with the Astell & Kern.

Sound is so fascinating.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #6,013 of 7,352
Ouch - $99 for the module

$88 for shipping - economy to Australia

Last 2 orders were both for bigger, heavier, more expensive products and were $6 each.

You've got to be taking the piss?
It should be available through our Australian distributor/dealers shortly. (and for many other countries).

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #6,014 of 7,352
I've found one UK seller (www.scan.co.uk) taking pre orders for the Cipher BT at £118.99 + £5.48 postage which seems a little expensive compared to the US price of $99.
Is there any technical reason why Audeze couldn't provide balanced 2.5/4.4 cables for the iSine range? Have they missed a trick here?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,015 of 7,352
Has anyone found a reasonable option for a balanced 2.5mm cable compatible with the iSines? I'm debating whether to buy the new Cipher BT cable vs. picking up the balanced cable to use with my ES100. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back