Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 28, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,772 of 7,352
Maybe the EQ curves for non idevices need repeating.

First EQ curve posted here by Audeze developer

iSine eq -V1 first published by Audeze.jpg

Second EQ curve, posted by Audeze developer:

isine EQ-iSine-V1.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-167#post-13518210

It would be super helpful, if there was less misinformation about Isines. Too many posters keep repeating that in order to use iSines properly, and to get most out Isines Cipher DSP cable is needed, and of course idevie with Lighting socket.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!. .. THIS IS NOT TRUE!

Yes, Cipher makes using Isines much more convenient, plug in, and enjoy.
With Android or any Audio Out, every home amplifier, every source that has Audio Out can be used with iSines, and just as well. In fact, with top quality source, avoiding Cipher and using regular cable can result in higher quality. But it needs fiddling, not overloading source amp by applying too much EQ, or simply using crappy apps, sub par source.

EQ setting for regular audio out needs huge jump of 10 dB applied, at around 3kHz. Look at the graphs!
Low end needs long, gradual raise from 200Hz, and sustained to very end. From 60Hz downwards, I prefer to raise bass further, at 31Hz I raise it additional 3dB.

Then rapid drop at 10kHz. These are massive jumps, that only EQ can do.
Listening straight audio out, no EQ, results in disastrous response. But ear tips play role as well, with comply foam tips, these curves are out the window, these curves are for Audeze supplied ear tips.

Audeze needs to come up with USB equivalent of Cipher, yesterday.

Attachments

• isine EQ-iSine-V2.jpg
    isine EQ-iSine-V2.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #4,773 of 7,352
I don't think I've seen this comment, and I'm surprised about it.

I used the (incredible) Neutron EQ to create the iSine curve, and to be able to listen to the 10s on my LG V20. The EQ worked flawlessly. And certain music sounded exactly like my iPad with a Cypher cable, but most (modern, rock) music sounded terrible.

This had also happened, to a bigger extent, with USB Audio Player Pro.

When I checked gain levels on Neutron, I noticed that audio was clipping all the time! There's just too much EQ, and audio as terribly overloaded!

So I dialed down the gain with the preamp. The iSines stopped distorting, but now gain was too low to be usable!

At this point, I'm convinced the iSines are pretty much useless without an iOS device. :frowning2:

First of all the only usable an good equalizer you can use for android is viper4android or poweramp
=> But poweramp has loss of overall soundquality due the outdated driver it's using

I'm gona say it again, neutron or USB audio player pro have terrible equalizers don't use them

If you look some page's back i compared the LG V20 with the chord mojo
I found 0 differences between these DAC's except the chord mojo has a small more rolled off high's and the LG sounds a bit rougher (less smooth in high's)
I don't like the misinformation that has been given about the LG DAC because youre simply doing things wrong, it's a great dac, as great as the chord mojo yes unless you're gona use DSD file's 400mb each for every song

And i'm also pretty sure now if you're doing things right...the cipher cable with a iphone won't be any better either it's only a DSP with settings

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #4,774 of 7,352
First of all the only usable an good equalizer you can use for android is viper4android or poweramp
=> But poweramp has loss of overall soundquality due the outdated driver it's using

I'm gona say it again, neutron or USB audio player pro have terrible equalizers don't use them

I found 0 differences between these DAC's except the chord mojo has a small more rolled off high's and the LG sounds a bit rougher (less smooth in high's)

And i'm also pretty sure now if you're doing things right...the cipher cable with a iphone won't be any better either it's only a DSP with settings

I don't like the misinformation that has been given about the LG DAC because youre simply doing things wrong, it's a great dac, as great as the chord mojo yes unless you're gona use DSD file's 400mb each for every song

There is no question that LG V series is a serious, high quality source. This isn't just one man's opinion, it's back up countless reviews, bench tests, critical listening by so many LG V owners.

If LG V20 can drive HD600, but not iSines with EQ applied, then the EQ is suspect. What else can it be?

People who can't get non idevices to work well with iSines are doing something incorrectly, and it only be an app. Hardware doesn't change, so it has to be software, using wrong app will make any Android source sound bad, or choke power output.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #4,775 of 7,352
There is no question that LG V series is a serious, high quality source. This isn't just one man's opinion, it's back up countless reviews, bench tests, critical listening by so many LG V owners.

If LG V20 can drive HD600, but not iSines with EQ applied, then the EQ is suspect. What else can it be?

People who can't get non idevices to work well with iSines are doing something incorrectly, and it only be an app. Hardware doesn't change, so it has to be software, using wrong app will make any Android source sound bad, or choke power output.
Yeah exactly, it's a user based error or wrong software is beeing used
My previous headphone was a HD 650 from sennheiser: LG V20 could drive this easily, effortless actually
Considering the HD 650/600 are considered also as really hard to drive headphones

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #4,776 of 7,352
Yeah exactly, it's a user based error or wrong software is beeing used
My previous headphone was a HD 650 from sennheiser: LG V20 could drive this easily, effortless actually
Considering the HD 650/600 are considered also as really hard to drive headphones

I think I answered that before... you need to trick the V20 into External line out mode. Else there's too much EQ for the voltage output available. I can't imagine how the V20 would play into the Audeze if it used its full 2V output.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #4,777 of 7,352
Here's another post how to trick the LG V20 into upping its amp:

So the first. 0 position

1.The first two adapters are plugged in advance.

2. The DAC mode is High (50-600 ohms)

3.Here it is the 75 ohm adapter is unplugged. That leaves the HighGain.

4.Then, the remains of the headphone plugged Extender placed under 50 ohms.

:) And we enjoy :) .. High Gain, but be careful in your ears. :)
I hope so clear?
(( A little tricky but simple enough to do music before listening. However, less problematic than Root, and guarantee to lose.))

Nota Bene : (( The High Gain the advantage of a stronger voice for: LG, according to all four DAC is activated.(By Ken Hong LG )
If High Res plays music from the DAC. ,,Or,,
Also, if a high-impedance device is connected to the phone.
Nevertheless, not every player can send the output of high-quality music ..
But the noise 4 DAC lower , however, a great advantage.
In case of lower-quality music, and either normal (below 50ohm) headphones. Only one DAC operates.
(Hence the noise cancellation is less)
Because of the efficiency of batteries.))

That is why I, and hear it as well.
Not only is this strong High Gain.
It's cleaner and nicer. (Be it a placebo?) But to hear the difference.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-139#post_13224924

Post #2071

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #4,778 of 7,352
20180130_194854.jpg

20180130_194824.jpg

20180130_195059.jpg

Despite the association with iOS and portability which bummed me out as an Android user...it is clear these absolutely SHINE with good power and i do not need a special DSP cable.

I will now proceed with a review. These...with power...are fantastic! The ARM2 is one of the more potent DAP's but slap an amp on it and these really come into their own.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #4,779 of 7,352
I just loaded Neutron on the X5 iii, and used the EQ curve on it. With an A5 amp, the Cypher cable is history. These are incredibly powerful and dynamic. I hesitate to say I like them more than my Ety ER4-SR (since those are un-eq'd), but they are currently my go to headphone. I just love them to pieces.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #4,780 of 7,352
Has anyone noticed this issue with their iSine20?
Using V1 cypher cable on iPhone and Onkyo HF player.
When switching between apps, the volume goes to almost maximum level and blasts my ear drums. Had to quickly pull the iSine20 out of the ears to prevent damage. This has now happened twice on random occasions. When checking Onkyo HF player the volume was at low level - about 3 clicks from mute. When blasting my ear drums, the volume level jumped close to 90%. Should I drop Onkyo HF player and use something else?

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #4,781 of 7,352
I am very interested in getting the isine 10’s but I have read about 30 pages of this thread and have a few questions/concerns as $400 is a decent amount of money for me. I use Ultimate Ears UE900s as my daily driver.
I have an iPhone 7 and use Spotify premium 320kps for 90% of my listening. (May go back to tidal lossless once they fix issues with their app/interface)
I am gathering that I probably should get the cipher cable option for the extra $50 but my main concern that I don’t have FLACS or a DAP but have a fiio Q1 mark 3 to my iPhone so would I be better off using that Q1 with 3.5mm or using the cypher directly into my iPhone? These would be used 90% portable over sitting down at my computer with desktop dac/amp that I use my Hd 650 headphones for.
Also I have very little experience with EQ settings to dial in the experience like you guys.
Would you recommend these for a casual like myself and if so should I just get the cypher version for both cables? And lastly how can I be sure ordering online from online Apple store (to get the black and silver 10’s over all black which is Apple store exclusive) that I get the Version 2 cypher cable and not the version 1. I don’t see the distinction on audeze or apples website

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #4,782 of 7,352
I am very interested in getting the isine 10’s but I have read about 30 pages of this thread and have a few questions/concerns as $400 is a decent amount of money for me. I use Ultimate Ears UE900s as my daily driver.
I have an iPhone 7 and use Spotify premium 320kps for 90% of my listening. (May go back to tidal lossless once they fix issues with their app/interface)
I am gathering that I probably should get the cipher cable option for the extra $50 but my main concern that I don’t have FLACS or a DAP but have a fiio Q1 mark 3 to my iPhone so would I be better off using that Q1 with 3.5mm or using the cypher directly into my iPhone? These would be used 90% portable over sitting down at my computer with desktop dac/amp that I use my Hd 650 headphones for.
Also I have very little experience with EQ settings to dial in the experience like you guys.
Would you recommend these for a casual like myself and if so should I just get the cypher version for both cables? And lastly how can I be sure ordering online from online Apple store (to get the black and silver 10’s over all black which is Apple store exclusive) that I get the Version 2 cypher cable and not the version 1. I don’t see the distinction on audeze or apples website

If you are going to use Isines for laptop Audio Out, just YouTube etc, if you do not use top sources and FLAC or .dsf format ripped from SACD, buy iSine 10. For sure!

And you are iPhone user, definitely buy Cipher, you don't need to fiddle with EQ, just plug and go.

10 and 20 are different, but they are not day and night. 20s have lower distortion, but sound signature and everything else is identical. I believe 20 uses thinner membrane, that's the ultra thin moving part that makes the sound. That certainly the case with Audeze LCD series, by lowering the weight of moving mass, there is less distortion.

Buy isibe 10 and Cipher.

Can be bought for $210 online, Audeze direct sales is $399, same in BH Photo.
Curiously Amazon sells them $349, that's strange, because Amazon's page says "Sold by Audeze Headphones and Fulfilled by Amazon"

Make sure they come with warranty, several reports of them failing. If not authorized dealer, Audeze won't replace them for free.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,783 of 7,352

My advice would be to simply use the Cipher cable. General consensus is (although there are folk who are quite happy with no DPS/EQ) is that the iSine comes into its own when used with the Cipher.
The reasoning behind it (as you have probably read) is that the planar magnetic driver doesn't react with your entire ear as full sized headphones do. It only interacts with your ear canal, hence the need for additional EQ.
Also, the iSines are made to have almost zero distortion, rather than a 'typical' EQ curve, so Audeze provide the Cipher cable in order to add the necessary EQ afterwards so it matches the generally accepted EQ curve for headphones.

Regarding the Apple question, I would phone customer services at Apple and have a chat with them about it. They're very helpful.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #4,784 of 7,352
I am a new user to isine 20 and very happy overall. However, I don't do well the different eq setups listed. Can someone explain how to simply enter the eq that was suggested by Audeze using a 10 or 18 band setup?
I have poweramp for the 10 but not sure how high to set the preamp. Is the number of clicks for each level the same as the number of decibels of increase or decrease? I am trying to use the aimp 18 band eq for the personal computer setup. All advice is appreciated. Thanks for the previous comments by all.

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #4,785 of 7,352
If you are going to use Isines for laptop Audio Out, just YouTube etc, if you do not use top sources and FLAC or .dsf format ripped from SACD, buy iSine 10. For sure!

And you are iPhone user, definitely buy Cipher, you don't need to fiddle with EQ, just plug and go.

10 and 20 are different, but they are not day and night. 20s have lower distortion, but sound signature and everything else is identical. I believe 20 uses thinner membrane, that's the ultra thin moving part that makes the sound. That certainly the case with Audeze LCD series, by lowering the weight of moving mass, there is less distortion.

Buy isibe 10 and Cipher.

Can be bought for $210 online, Audeze direct sales is $399, same in BH Photo.
Curiously Amazon sells them $349, that's strange, because Amazon's page says "Sold by Audeze Headphones and Fulfilled by Amazon"

Make sure they come with warranty, several reports of them failing. If not authorized dealer, Audeze won't replace them for free.

Yeah I was thinking of the 10’s or the m300 but probably the 10’s and no Lx because theyre so ugly.
But when you said the 10’s can be had online for $210 was that a typo? Everywhere I look they’re $399 with cypher cable and $349 without

Users who are viewing this thread

Back