Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #3,736 of 7,352
well, i'm frustrated. I bout my 20's in January of this year, a big purchase for me, and tonight I had my second driver failure. No idea why. I had just replaced the analogue cable my$elf, which failed a couple months ago. These headphones don't leave my house (I live where I work). I am not rough on them to say the least. I use these in many ways, not just to listen to music for pleasure. Not having them is not great.

Sep 30, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3,737 of 7,352
that sux...

Sorry i haven't been keeping up with this thread. Has this been happening to a lot of people? I have the 10s but just bought a pair of used 20s to compare and want to know the failure rate. I know that the old version of lcd 2f was bad with driver failures.

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3,738 of 7,352
well, i'm frustrated. I bout my 20's in January of this year, a big purchase for me, and tonight I had my second driver failure. No idea why. I had just replaced the analogue cable my$elf, which failed a couple months ago. These headphones don't leave my house (I live where I work). I am not rough on them to say the least. I use these in many ways, not just to listen to music for pleasure. Not having them is not great.

second driver failure?! that's alarming.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,740 of 7,352
I've had the iSine10 for more than 9 months now and no issues so far and the iSine20 for the past 2 months. So yeah, a few cases reported does not represent the entire group.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3,743 of 7,352
Hi, I have searched this thread over but I still am not sure of 3rd party cables/pins that would fit my i20s.
I saw a "rough" statement that eidolic 2-pins can fit, and I just want to confirm
eidolic-gunmetal-2pin-premier-1-600x600.jpg
Are the eidolic 2pin standard .78mm in size? or do they have other sizes, cause this will complicate my decision again haha.

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,744 of 7,352
Hi, I have searched this thread over but I still am not sure of 3rd party cables/pins that would fit my i20s.
I saw a "rough" statement that eidolic 2-pins can fit, and I just want to confirm
Are the eidolic 2pin standard .78mm in size? or do they have other sizes, cause this will complicate my decision again haha.

Any 2pin .78 cable should be fine, Venture electronics makes a good cable that light weight and looks really nice. I would recommend them if you're looking budget.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,745 of 7,352

They just need to have the notch and be able to fit into the recess on the iSine.

Here's an example from Amazon that I think would probably not work b/c they wouldn't fit into the recess.

Capture.PNG
From what I've seen, most custom cable makers do use connectors that would work just fine. And as the previous reply stated, Venture Electronics is a good affordable option, I have one from them that I'm currently using.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #3,746 of 7,352
Any 2pin .78 cable should be fine, Venture electronics makes a good cable that light weight and looks really nice. I would recommend them if you're looking budget.

I've had to VE cables. The first one the aluminum housing around 3.5mm end come loose with in the first three hours of use. I took a picture and emailed them didn't hear back. Then about 8 to 10 days later I noticed my iSines just didn't sound right. Went back to the stock cable and the sounded fine again.

I e-mailed again and got a rely stating in part, "We have a strict 7 days guarantee that we take very seriously. If it's past that period don't bother". Said I had email on the first day and never heard back. They areeed to send me another pair once they new espresso cable arrived. The other day it started ti cut out when i moved it went back to the stock cable and noticed it was much better. could listen at 55 on my V20 the VE cable I'd been cranking it to 65.

I'm don't with VE cables. They where inexpensive, but that matters little if I have to keep replacing them.

I Now need another alternative..

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,747 of 7,352
I just plotted @KMann's file against the wav-file I derived by measuring the Cipher cable. Surprisingly both are a bit different:

The yellow curve represents my file that is downloadable at Headflux. The green curve represents the 44,1 kHz file taken out of @KMann's Dropbox.

When applied to innerfidelity's raw measurements of the iSine 20 (same colors as above):

Strangely enough my file seems to be more in line with what innerfidelity's measurement of the iSine 20 with Ciper looks like: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-isine-20-planar-magnetic-ear-earphone-measurements

@KMann can you clear this up?

PS: I hope @Tyll Hertsens doesn't mind me stealing his measurements :)

Thanks for the response file. It provides the the best effect on my isine 20 when used with Fiio DAP. I got these files work in my Fiio X5 III using Convolver plugin under ViPER Effect. For anyone with Fiio android based DAP, just change the extension of the wave file to *.irs and place it in ~/ViPEREffect/Kernel.

It's nice that Fiio implements Viper4Android within its music player.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #3,748 of 7,352
So I decided to get a new pair of IEMs, first one in a LONG while. I doubt anyone here remembers who I am, but I used to write reviews (though on a different blog/forum). These intrigued me with not only the portable planar magnetic headphones (Oppo did this years back, the PM-3 still remain some of my favorite headphones), but the IEM portion (currently the only one to do so to my knowledge). That said, the only IEMs I have within its price range are the UE900, Westone W4, Heir Audio A4, and HiFiMan RE600. This is probably a step above each and every one of them. My goto IEMs when I want something of quality right now are my HiFiMan RE1000 which retail for 700 (plus ear impressions). Also have owned many IEMs known for having not-the-best build quality (HiFiMan RE600 *cough* *cough* and HiFiMan RE400). Though besides the balanced to unbalanced adapter going out on me, both are running strong, even years later!

OK, I picked up the iSine 10 from my local Apple Store, also auditioned them as well (though I couldn't get that great of impression there due to noise). I was able to get good detailing and the bass wasn't lost in the crowd; I wasn't expecting any isolation whatsoever, so that was expected. I decided to take the plunge. Got home and tried them out. The more linear sound signature really sold me (reminded me of the Etymotic HF2/3/5 with better bass extension and control along with details), but even when comparing against the likes of my RE1000, offered bass that was on par in terms of detailing, texture, speed and depth (though I'd also argue that the 1000's have a larger body to them). The RE1000 isn't known for it's sterile detailing, rather it's known for it's lush smooth signature so the midrange on the iSine really blew it away with it's strong detailing and energy (something I prefer over smoothness). Though there is something edgy about the treble on the iSine. It's not bad, but it does have a bit of a hard edge on it but is otherwise detailed with quite a bit of splash. I'd argue that this is not only one of the best IEMs I've tried, but one of the best headphones in general (I personally say it rivals the PM-3).

My day was going well, I got the headphones at 3:30PM, got home at 4, listened to them for an hour. Went out, came home and gave them a listen for another hour. Did some chores around the house and by then it was 10 PM. I plugged in the Cipher cable and had no sound coming out of the left side. Turns out my drivers are OK, the standard audio cable works, but the Cipher cable's left side is shot. I want to assume I received a lemon, but this has left me with a sour taste in my mouth; the cable didn't even last 6 hours after first use...

EDIT: I will add on to the iOS 11 bugginess. I do see some bugginess in the Audeze app, though a restart or two of the app (not the phone) tends to fix it. Updating the firmware took 3-5 tries as well. It'd periodically get stuck while updating and I'd have to restart the process. Realistically, these are minor things for me; there is a way to get it to work (eventually) and I don't see Audeze as a software company, it's more of a hardware company.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #3,749 of 7,352
So I decided to get a new pair of IEMs, first one in a LONG while. I doubt anyone here remembers who I am, but I used to write reviews (though on a different blog/forum). These intrigued me with not only the portable planar magnetic headphones (Oppo did this years back, the PM-3 still remain some of my favorite headphones), but the IEM portion (currently the only one to do so to my knowledge). That said, the only IEMs I have within its price range are the UE900, Westone W4, Heir Audio A4, and HiFiMan RE600. This is probably a step above each and every one of them. My goto IEMs when I want something of quality right now are my HiFiMan RE1000 which retail for 700 (plus ear impressions). Also have owned many IEMs known for having not-the-best build quality (HiFiMan RE600 *cough* *cough* and HiFiMan RE400). Though besides the balanced to unbalanced adapter going out on me, both are running strong, even years later!

OK, I picked up the iSine 10 from my local Apple Store, also auditioned them as well (though I couldn't get that great of impression there due to noise). I was able to get good detailing and the bass wasn't lost in the crowd; I wasn't expecting any isolation whatsoever, so that was expected. I decided to take the plunge. Got home and tried them out. The more linear sound signature really sold me (reminded me of the Etymotic HF2/3/5 with better bass extension and control along with details), but even when comparing against the likes of my RE1000, offered bass that was on par in terms of detailing, texture, speed and depth (though I'd also argue that the 1000's have a larger body to them). The RE1000 isn't known for it's sterile detailing, rather it's known for it's lush smooth signature so the midrange on the iSine really blew it away with it's strong detailing and energy (something I prefer over smoothness). Though there is something edgy about the treble on the iSine. It's not bad, but it does have a bit of a hard edge on it but is otherwise detailed with quite a bit of splash. I'd argue that this is not only one of the best IEMs I've tried, but one of the best headphones in general (I personally say it rivals the PM-3).

My day was going well, I got the headphones at 3:30PM, got home at 4, listened to them for an hour. Went out, came home and gave them a listen for another hour. Did some chores around the house and by then it was 10 PM. I plugged in the Cipher cable and had no sound coming out of the left side. Turns out my drivers are OK, the standard audio cable works, but the Cipher cable's left side is shot. I want to assume I received a lemon, but this has left me with a sour taste in my mouth; the cable didn't even last 6 hours after first use...

EDIT: I will add on to the iOS 11 bugginess. I do see some bugginess in the Audeze app, though a restart or two of the app (not the phone) tends to fix it. Updating the firmware took 3-5 tries as well. It'd periodically get stuck while updating and I'd have to restart the process. Realistically, these are minor things for me; there is a way to get it to work (eventually) and I don't see Audeze as a software company, it's more of a hardware company.

Great to see you back on headfi tinyman392. Haven't seen your name around here in a while. I would call or email Audeze support. They should send you a replacement right away. These are truly special headphones.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #3,750 of 7,352
Great to see you back on headfi tinyman392. Haven't seen your name around here in a while. I would call or email Audeze support. They should send you a replacement right away. These are truly special headphones.

They definitely are. I'm actually going to swap them out at the Apple Store where I bought them (assuming they have another pair, otherwise, there are some other stores within the area that I can go to too). And yes, these are absolutely special headphones.

@KMann I'm curious, I know the drivers are covered by a 3 year warranty, how long is the Cipher cable covered for in terms of warranty?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back