Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Sep 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3,514 of 7,352
Soo my 5 day old isine 20 are already out of commission.. the over ear plastic broke when I simply pulled it off my isine 20s... My God I wish these things were easier to put on/hold steady.
Email Audeze I'm sure they will be happy to give you another set. I gave mine a few bends to help with pressure issues and have not broke mine so I would think there is some sort of manufacturing defect with yours.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,516 of 7,352
Do you think isine 20 will be worthy upgrade over my Hifiman RE-600 ? Or just a different sound signature ?

I think they'd be a sonic upgrade but you should keep some isolating IEMs around for when you want them. I love going between my Quad Driver and iSine but the isine is handedly 2x the performance in every measuable descriptor people use to describe headphones.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,517 of 7,352
Trying to work my way into an isine, but have gotten hung up on the almost universal preference expressed for the SQ of the Apple cable option. Just does not seem right that the inline cable DAP would provide better SQ than a quality DAP separate albeit through an SE cable.. Am I missing something?

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #3,518 of 7,352
Trying to work my way into an isine, but have gotten hung up on the almost universal preference expressed for the SQ of the Apple cable option. Just does not seem right that the inline cable DAP would provide better SQ than a quality DAP separate albeit through an SE cable.. Am I missing something?

No you are not missing anything.
I tried the apple cable and have preferred the iSine20 from a:

Hugo2
ALO CDM
x7ii
Meridian Explorer2
Mojo
JDS Element
iDSD Black

Pretty much preferred all of those over the Apple cable.
To me the signature is darker from the above sources than with the apple cable, however that is how I prefer my sound.
To my ears they sound artificially sparkly using the apple cable by default. Though I did prefer the apple cable to my headphone out on my pixel phone and the x5iii.

From a convenience point of view however I cannot fault the cypher cable. It is tiny, albeit a little heavy, so using the clip to your shirt is a must, it just works.
The microphone works really well for calls.
And with the use of EQ (which is quite well done and drops the pre-amp accordingly rather than boosting frequencies and clipping) you can make them sound however you like.

I would say the apple cale is a great to have and super convenient but doesn't replace an alternative quality source....
For me.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,519 of 7,352

The inline cable for apple called cipher actually just adds EQ/DSP correction which won't be available if you use a dedicated DAP, unless you are willing to work with EQ. There has been many EQ presets posted already that can help as a guide. Also not all DAPs have the same EQ behavior. Some people like the iSines without EQ at all. YMMV and as always you have to try it yourself before you buy it to avoid disappointments.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,520 of 7,352
Do you think isine 20 will be worthy upgrade over my Hifiman RE-600 ? Or just a different sound signature ?
If giving you a taste of a headphone experience in an in-ear package is an improvement to you then yes it is. But for some the open-back nature is a concern.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #3,521 of 7,352
No you are not missing anything.
I tried the apple cable and have preferred the iSine20 from a:

Hugo2
ALO CDM
x7ii
Meridian Explorer2
Mojo
JDS Element
iDSD Black

Pretty much preferred all of those over the Apple cable.
To me the signature is darker from the above sources than with the apple cable, however that is how I prefer my sound.
To my ears they sound artificially sparkly using the apple cable by default. Though I did prefer the apple cable to my headphone out on my pixel phone and the x5iii.

From a convenience point of view however I cannot fault the cypher cable. It is tiny, albeit a little heavy, so using the clip to your shirt is a must, it just works.
The microphone works really well for calls.
And with the use of EQ (which is quite well done and drops the pre-amp accordingly rather than boosting frequencies and clipping) you can make them sound however you like.

I would say the apple cale is a great to have and super convenient but doesn't replace an alternative quality source....
For me.

Thanks for the very helpful reply. While I like a bright high end, I want it to shimmer, not glare. Your comments infer the side you come down. From the list, I feel comfortable there are good choices available. I'll begin with a yggy/rag for evaluation and go from there.

Again thanks for your comments.

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #3,522 of 7,352
If giving you a taste of a headphone experience in an in-ear package is an improvement to you then yes it is. But for some the open-back nature is a concern.
For me without EQ there are qualities makes iSine sound better with certain recordings, but with EQ it does sound like there is something supressed although avg better. By suppressed, certain sound potential suppressed. Without EQ, although worse due to the mids and resonance, it get a sense EQ suppresses good qualitites without EQ.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #3,523 of 7,352
For me without EQ there are qualities makes iSine sound better with certain recordings, but with EQ it does sound like there is something supressed although avg better. By suppressed, certain sound potential suppressed. Without EQ, although worse due to the mids and resonance, it get a sense EQ suppresses good qualitites without EQ.

I believe you just need to tweak your EQ. Also not all device responds the same to EQ. From what I observed if you apply the same or similar EQ preset between two devices they sounds too different. I get the most detail and clarity using my QP2R and I thought I can make the iSine20 sound like a Stax-like headphone in the upper mids and highs and still give me that solid bass.

I get the best bass response with LPG but I cant duplicate the same highs/upper mids I get from QP2R no matter what I do. Given the supposed flexibility of it's PEQ. I never expect anything from QP2R because it has the simplest EQ (10 band Graphical EQ) but it gives me the most versatility with how much I want to shape the sound of my iSine20.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #3,524 of 7,352
You are likely referring to headphone transient response. I find it is the duty of the headphone to output tight transient response.

Other than STAX, two of the tightest I've heard are the HD800(tightest for a dynamic) and the Andromeda. How tight the Andromeda sound out of the Opus#2 is something else. Probably has the qualities of an electostatic.

Clarity and detailing depends on good transient response.

This was mentioned in the measurment thread and transient response cannot be EQ'd(as EQ is for the frequency response).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,525 of 7,352
Anyone else considering the LG V30 to pair with the iSine?

I will very likely pick up the LG V30 to use as a phone, content creation and my main music device on the go.

Hopefully the filters will give me that but more bass quantity I crave. I love the linear bass of the iSine, just want a little bit more (I like a lil extra bass).
I am eagerly waiting for the V30.

And yes, moar bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back