Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Mar 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,771 of 7,352
  i am planing to get Senn's IE80 , but i might go for these instead , based on all raving reviews . wish there 's somewhere in SF that i can demo them 

I have the IE80 already and really like them. I also have an iSine 20. If I could only have one, it'd be the iSine. But they are different sounds. The Senn's base is very different and much more pronounced. (edited: maybe pronounced is the wrong word..the bass in the Senn just seems bigger, but the iSine the base is interesting but not the main feature). The iSine's soundstage is a lot wider, and I hear quite a bit more in my music. The Senn's isolate more and I prefer how you can loop the cord over your ear before putting them in. Aesthetically I like the iSine more, although I also like tie fighters and the color orange. :wink:

Some unsolicited advice: if you are using an iOS device with a lightning port I'd strongly recommend leaning towards the iSine. If you are using a regular jack on some other device....pick the one with the sound you think you would prefer. I enjoy them both. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,772 of 7,352
Happy to be joining the iSine club with a set of the 20's arriving tomorrow. I'll use the lightning cable with my ipad pro and the standard cable thru my QPR dap. Can't wait to try these things out! Thought my new set of Trinity Hunter's would be first to arrive, but still waiting on them sadly.

Cool I am waiting to hear your impressions on the ¡SINE 20.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,773 of 7,352
I'm loving my 20's, rediscovering my music all over again. Thank you Audeze. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,775 of 7,352
  anyone using isine 10 or 20 at the gym ? 
how do you feel with them on while working out ?

I did a kettlebell workout which included some movements that involve swinging my arms over my head and some pushups today with mine on.  I use the over ear clips and they stayed in fine, sound quality was perfect, and they did not get in the way or cause any issues.   I also jump on my rebounder (mini trampoline) quite vigerously with them on.  The only issue there is you can obviously hear the "sqeak" of the trampoline springs, but that was fine with me.
just know that if you catch the cable on something, they will come flying out of your ears. 

I believe Audeze answered someone with regards to sweat concerns and they said it shouldn't be a problem, but don't quote me on that.  Also i would assume it depends on just how much you are sweating but you'd have to find the post.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,776 of 7,352

I did a kettlebell workout which included some movements that involve swinging my arms over my head and some pushups today with mine on.  I use the over ear clips and they stayed in fine, sound quality was perfect, and they did not get in the way or cause any issues.   I also jump on my rebounder (mini trampoline) quite vigerously with them on.  The only issue there is you can obviously hear the "sqeak" of the trampoline springs, but that was fine with me.
just know that if you catch the cable on something, they will come flying out of your ears. 

I believe Audeze answered someone with regards to sweat concerns and they said it shouldn't be a problem, but don't quote me on that.  Also i would assume it depends on just how much you are sweating but you'd have to find the post.

Audeze posted this: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/818870/audeze-isine-10-isine-20-audeze-releases-two-new-iem-planar-magnetic-earphones/1530#post_13280899

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #1,778 of 7,352

Thanks a lot , 
 that 's great to hear . might gonna sell UM pro 50 to fund either isine 10-20 or W60  in a few weeks 

hopefully Amazon will start selling them soon

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #1,782 of 7,352
Got mine in today, been listening to them for about 1.5 hours now. 

First impressions: These are VERY good.

I was worried about them sounding "only" like IEMs based on the review I read at Metal-Fi, but while I can see the spirit of what was meant by that comment, I disagree.

These, like many have already said, sound WAY bigger than they are. You CAN'T judge these as IEMs.

The first thing I did once I finally got them settled in my ears was play some music on shuffle from my DAP. The song that played happened to be "You've Seen The Butcher" by Deftones.

Coming straight from the headphone out, unamped, the sound as the music started playing was so FULL. I don't think I'd ever mistake these for over-ear cans in terms of sound, but it's like @Kazekeil said on Reddit when talking about the i20s: they sound like the essence of over-ear cans piped directly into your ears (paraphrasing). The guitars dropping in out of nowhere on that song sounded huge and full (I'm going to keep using that word).

I let my GF try them and her eyes widened as I started the song over for her. She was just as shocked as I was at how good they sounded. She mentioned that the bass was a little lacking in her opinion (she's so observant for not being in this arena), which I agreed with, but I guessed that some amping would do them some good. 

Plugging them up to my Fiio A3, throwing on some Gojira, my suspicions were proven correct; drums hit quite hard and are FAST (yay planars). Not the slam of a "full-fledged" can but very respectable. And should I want more, the A3 has a nice subtle bass boost that provides even more low end when needed. Vocals are forward, but not too forward, just more forward than some earphones.

But the last straw was plugging them into my O2+ODAC. Navigating to Glass Animals 'Flip', which has recently become one of my go-to songs for bass-testing, the deal was sealed. The bass filled my ears almost as full as my HE400is and just as clean. I say "almost", but really, it's hard to compare the two because the i10s present the music in such a different way. 

Leak testing: compared to my HE400is, which are very open and leaky, and which my GF rated a 7/10, she rated the i10s as a 2/10 when I was sitting right next to her listening at lower volume, and a 4-5/10 as I really got up there in volume. And sitting at my desk 4-5 feet away with my music turned up to a respectable level (about my normal listening level with my 400is), she said she couldn't hear a thing (this was with no AC running, nothing else playing in the room, just ambient outside noise).

Isolation is pretty much totally non-existent. I had a full conversation with my GF wearing them with no issues. When the music is turned up, there is more passive "isolation", but I can still hear outside noises to some extent (which can be good or bad depending on your situation).

As far as any issues go with these, they're minor. I'm still having some fitting issues, but my ears are weird to begin with. On some songs, I can detect the "splashiness" with the cymbals @Kazekeil has mentioned, and on other songs I can hear the "midrange resonance" mentioned by some people. Soundstage, while wide and full, does have some slight confines I can detect. Bass, even when amped (by my current portable amp at least) could use a bit more heft, but YMMV on that. I think that improves with use of a desktop amp, so maybe I just need a better portable amp.

I have no way of testing the Cipher cable even if I had one (Android user, and Lightning-to-micro USB adapters that transmit sound still don't exist as far as I know), but I'm curious to see if it can address any of the sound issues, or how the sound sig changes with it in play.

Other than that, these are perfect. These are my portable endgame now.

I grabbed these with a standard cable for a steal at $250 (+ $7.50 shipping) from Audiogon, and I could NOT be happier (unless I got i20s, which, if they correct any of the small complaints I have with the i10s, I might just do at some point far in the future).

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,783 of 7,352
Nice write up. The Cipher adds a 4db cut or so to the midrange in comparison to bass and subbass. It also adds upwards of 6db to some parts of the treble range. You can look around page 84ish to find the actual full EQ used in the cipher cable, then plug those values into your pc EQ to see what you're missing cipher wise. There's still some more DSP shenanigans going on apart from an EQ in the cipher, but the EQ alone gets you pretty close.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,784 of 7,352
  Nice write up. The Cipher adds a 4db cut or so to the midrange in comparison to bass and subbass. It also adds upwards of 6db to some parts of the treble range. You can look around page 84ish to find the actual full EQ used in the cipher cable, then plug those values into your pc EQ to see what you're missing cipher wise. There's still some more DSP shenanigans going on apart from an EQ in the cipher, but the EQ alone gets you pretty close.

Ah yes, I do remember that being reposted on the page before this one actually.

That's useful and I'm glad the Audeze reps were kind enough to post it; my only complaint is that I have no way of using it on the go (I don't use my phone for music, no android-based DAP to use Viper4Android with, etc.) I just wish there was a way to utilize the existing cable with an adapter.

But yes, I'm very glad I took your suggestion and kept my eyes open. It had become a habit of mine a while back to check for anyone selling Nighthawks for a reasonable price every morning, and after reading your impression on the iSines, I added them to the list.

Lo and behold, last week, probably a day or two after you and a few others answered my question about i10s vs. i20s, I check Hifishark at my job and find an active listing posted THAT morning for i10s, with a price of $275. I nearly had a heart attack right there in the call center.

I managed to haggle the guy down to $250 + shipping and now here I am with them in my possession 
beerchug.gif

I've noticed they scale very well, and have more bass than I gave them credit for when amped properly. Coming out of my O2+ODAC I can listen even at low levels and get a nice thump, but crank them up and I might as well have some full-size (neutral-leaning) cans on my head.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,785 of 7,352
Ah yes, I do remember that being reposted on the page before this one actually.

That's useful and I'm glad the Audeze reps were kind enough to post it; my only complaint is that I have no way of using it on the go (I don't use my phone for music, no android-based DAP to use Viper4Android with, etc.) I just wish there was a way to utilize the existing cable with an adapter.

But yes, I'm very glad I took your suggestion and kept my eyes open. It had become a habit of mine a while back to check for anyone selling Nighthawks for a reasonable price every morning, and after reading your impression on the iSines, I added them to the list.

Lo and behold, last week, probably a day or two after you and a few others answered my question about i10s vs. i20s, I check Hifishark at my job and find an active listing posted THAT morning for i10s, with a price of $275. I nearly had a heart attack right there in the call center.

I managed to haggle the guy down to $250 + shipping and now here I am with them in my possession :beerchug:

I've noticed they scale very well, and have more bass than I gave them credit for when amped properly. Coming out of my O2+ODAC I can listen even at low levels and get a nice thump, but crank them up and I might as well have some full-size (neutral-leaning) cans on my head.

Can you give me the links for 250 USD pls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back