Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #5,311 of 7,353
Isn't Android a CF to develop for? I thought that's why they haven't done anything with USB C cable yet.

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #5,312 of 7,353
tried so many eq recs but nothing compares to how amazing isine20 sounds on ios using cypher cable

its a shame that this iem sounds its best just with cypher cable

yes you can get decent sound quality using eq on daps or android but its not comparable at all as using cypher cable

What really bothers me is that they could at least have made a USB version for Android since so many DAPs run Android and zero DAPs run iOs. They would sell a lot more cipher cables if that was the case. But given my hatred of all things apple, I can't even really try it to compare for myself....

I've heard both that it's better and that with a proper EQ and a decent DAC it really isn't any better. For 60 bucks itd be a no brainier for me to try, but I'm not buying a ridiculously overpriced old iPod or iphone just to do it.

I gave up and returned my B-stock iSine20 (came with standard cable only). Spent hours searching for/applying eq settings, but never got to a point where I could just sit back and enjoy them. Between listening via phone, tablet, DAP, or PC I'd need eq settings for each. Interestingly enough, the iSine20's had good synergy with the Sony A45. Alas, the amount of effort needed to tease the right sound out of these was more time than I had or wanted to spend. Have to admit I was crestfallen as I was always fascinated with the thought of hearing and owning these. I have not heard the iSine20 via lightning cable.

As for an Android USB DAC, I think Android's lack of a standard (due to the multitude of manufacturers, devices and versions) make it a nonviable solution, especially compared to Apple's MFI certification. Certainly can't blame Audeze for not wanting to invest in such an overwhelming challenge, even though I wish there was an Android counterpart.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #5,313 of 7,353
I gave up and returned my B-stock iSine20 (came with standard cable only). Spent hours searching for/applying eq settings, but never got to a point where I could just sit back and enjoy them. Between listening via phone, tablet, DAP, or PC I'd need eq settings for each. Interestingly enough, the iSine20's had good synergy with the Sony A45. Alas, the amount of effort needed to tease the right sound out of these was more time than I had or wanted to spend. Have to admit I was crestfallen as I was always fascinated with the thought of hearing and owning these. I have not heard the iSine20 via lightning cable.

As for an Android USB DAC, I think Android's lack of a standard (due to the multitude of manufacturers, devices and versions) make it a nonviable solution, especially compared to Apple's MFI certification. Certainly can't blame Audeze for not wanting to invest in such an overwhelming challenge, even though I wish there was an Android counterpart.
Wait, isn't the thing about the lightning cable that it's an inline DAC with some control from an app? Even just an Android app with special EQ settings would be nice using the normal cable. Also, not to mention I'm using a balanced cable and the cipher eliminates that option....

I'm happy with my b stock isine20 on my hiby r6. I thought the standard 10 band EQ settings were a good starting point. Honestly, I'm hesitant to believe that the cipher cable is some kind of voodoo, but would like to try it still given the mixed reactions.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #5,314 of 7,353
Wait, isn't the thing about the lightning cable that it's an inline DAC with some control from an app? Even just an Android app with special EQ settings would be nice using the normal cable. Also, not to mention I'm using a balanced cable and the cipher eliminates that option....

I'm happy with my b stock isine20 on my hiby r6. I thought the standard 10 band EQ settings were a good starting point. Honestly, I'm hesitant to believe that the cipher cable is some kind of voodoo, but would like to try it still given the mixed reactions.

Eh, I'm one of those that didn't find the Cipher isn't that "game changing". Yeah standard Android with it's limited ability at EQ didn't help. But root and running Viper4Android on my V20 I think my iSine 10 sound really good and I prefer it out the Cipher.

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #5,315 of 7,353
me too time to buy an iphone, as i used my ipad

yes using isine20 on a dap or android with an amp/dac and eq was ok

but nothing like it sounds with cypher cable at all

i was really surprised as i did not expect this huge improvement

using isine20 with cipher cable and tidal or deezer is all one would need, now i can say that the isine does stand out from conventional iems
Then you didn't have a decent DAP with decent EQ software
Because the cipher cable is just a simple DAC chip with some DSP settings in software nothing more, there is no magic in this cable

Sorry but this is bollocks

LG V20 + viper4android destroys cipher cable on all levels, I tried it myself

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #5,316 of 7,353
Then you didn't have a decent DAP with decent EQ software
Because the cipher cable is just a simple DAC chip with some DSP settings in software nothing more, there is no magic in this cable

Sorry but this is bollocks

LG V20 + viper4android destroys cipher cable on all levels, I tried it myself

compared with elecom dac, which uses ak4430et chip, cipher cable or elecom got better quality. not an i devices fan. so tempted to get an iPhone just for the sake of the cipher cable.

http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/EHP-AHR192GD.html

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #5,317 of 7,353
compared with elecom dac, which uses ak4430et chip, cipher cable or elecom got better quality. not an i devices fan. so tempted to get an iPhone just for the sake of the cipher cable.

http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/EHP-AHR192GD.html
You can get a decent a 1000$ DAC but it means nothing for the isine 10/20 if the EQ software is not decent, because there is where the magic really is. it's all about decent DSP/EQ settings that isine needs

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #5,318 of 7,353
Hi,

I’ll expose here my situation and hope you guys help me clarify it. At home I use a LCD-3 and Audio-gd NFB-11, which I really like, it’s almost my endgame.

But due to work necessities, I’ve been spending 30% of my time in hotel rooms in another country, usually 2 or 3 weeks in a row away from my LCD-3. That sucks.

So I need a portable setup to give me some pleasure, but I know nothing portable will achieve LCD-3 levels. And my budget is limited at the moment.

Right now I’m using Etymotic ER4XR and FiiO Q1 Mark II, and while the tonal balance is very good and details are acceptable, soundstage and image suffers, and they’re very important to me.

I was thinking about FLC8n and keep the Q1 Mark II.

But now I’ve considered the idea of the iSine 10 or 20, with a Cipher cable. Why not? It’s planar, it’s Audeze, no need for external amp, and I can EQ to my taste, although I don’t like EQ on full size headphones. I know fit is not good, but I’ll listen inside a hotel room, completely static in bed or in a chair, just like I do with the LCD-3.

Questions:

1 - iSine 10 or 20?

2 - Is the 20 worth twice the price?

3 - Does anyone know of any good deals in Europe?

4 - The 2 presets that can be saved inside the Cipher cable, work in any iOS, even without the Audeze app installed? It means the EQ is stored inside the cable and is independent of the app to work?

Thanks for the help!

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #5,319 of 7,353
Hi,

I’ll expose here my situation and hope you guys help me clarify it. At home I use a LCD-3 and Audio-gd NFB-11, which I really like, it’s almost my endgame.

But due to work necessities, I’ve been spending 30% of my time in hotel rooms in another country, usually 2 or 3 weeks in a row away from my LCD-3. That sucks.

So I need a portable setup to give me some pleasure, but I know nothing portable will achieve LCD-3 levels. And my budget is limited at the moment.

Right now I’m using Etymotic ER4XR and FiiO Q1 Mark II, and while the tonal balance is very good and details are acceptable, soundstage and image suffers, and they’re very important to me.

I was thinking about FLC8n and keep the Q1 Mark II.

But now I’ve considered the idea of the iSine 10 or 20, with a Cipher cable. Why not? It’s planar, it’s Audeze, no need for external amp, and I can EQ to my taste, although I don’t like EQ on full size headphones. I know fit is not good, but I’ll listen inside a hotel room, completely static in bed or in a chair, just like I do with the LCD-3.

Questions:

1 - iSine 10 or 20?

2 - Is the 20 worth twice the price?

3 - Does anyone know of any good deals in Europe?

4 - The 2 presets that can be saved inside the Cipher cable, work in any iOS, even without the Audeze app installed? It means the EQ is stored inside the cable and is independent of the app to work?

Thanks for the help!

1. iSine 20. Most people can hear the difference in detail and more 'even' response apparently. I haven't tried the 10 myself though so YMMV
2. Depends on a lot of things. The law of diminishing returns does come into play a bit again, but for me personally, I didn't want to have the iSine10 for the next 5 years wondering whether I should have bought the iSine20.
3. You could sign up for the CanJam event for example and see if any discount vouchers come through afterwards. Generally though, you might get 10% off if you haggle with your dealer.
4. Correct. Once the EQ has been set by the app it is uploaded to the Cipher cable and then if you want to, you can delete the app. I tweak mine once in a while though and the app is tiny. Also without the app there is no way to switch between the two presets.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #5,321 of 7,353
What really bothers me is that they could at least have made a USB version for Android since so many DAPs run Android and zero DAPs run iOs. They would sell a lot more cipher cables if that was the case. But given my hatred of all things apple, I can't even really try it to compare for myself....

I've heard both that it's better and that with a proper EQ and a decent DAC it really isn't any better. For 60 bucks itd be a no brainier for me to try, but I'm not buying a ridiculously overpriced old iPod or iphone just to do it.

totally understand your point, and I am as well not happy that this huge difference is only for ios users to enjoy, Wish if Audeze could address android owners.

using a dap or a phone with a dac/amp with isine can get you decent results, but not as great as cypher cable

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #5,322 of 7,353
totally understand your point, and I am as well not happy that this huge difference is only for ios users to enjoy, Wish if Audeze could address android owners.

using a dap or a phone with a dac/amp with isine can get you decent results, but not as great as cypher cable
Please define "not a great as cypher cable" what "HUGE" differences did you notice?
Also which DAP did you try to use and what software?

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #5,323 of 7,353
Please define "not a great as cypher cable" what "HUGE" differences did you notice?
Also which DAP did you try to use and what software?

I used my cowon plenue s, fiio x5iii , mojo, and ifi micro dsd black label all in different configurations, simply put cipher cable and ios bests them all

I could not nail eqing the mids at all, they sounded weird using it on a dap or android or an amp/dac

Equing mids is a hell of a task with regular iems let alone the isine20, and as much as i used to use eq but I noticed that eqing mids almost everytime ends up in failure. Anyhow the tuning with cipher cable was easy and turned it into a great sounding earphone with great mids that are full and rich and bass is controlled and tight and the highs are detailed but could be better, Tuning the isine20 with audeze app was very simple to achieve, all i did just bump the lows by 6 db and the highs by 2 db and left the mids almost untouched in the cipher cable app

is the isine20 better than my legend x of course not, but now with cipher cable its a different thing to enjoy

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #5,324 of 7,353
I used my cowon plenue s, fiio x5iii , mojo, and ifi micro dsd black label all in different configurations, simply put cipher cable and ios bests them all

I could not nail eqing the mids at all, they sounded weird using it on a dap or android or an amp/dac

Equing mids is a hell of a task with regular iems let alone the isine20, and as much as i used to use eq but I noticed that eqing mids almost everytime ends up in failure. Anyhow the tuning with cipher cable was easy and turned it into a great sounding earphone with great mids that are full and rich and bass is controlled and tight and the highs are detailed but could be better, Tuning the isine20 with audeze app was very simple to achieve, all i did just bump the lows by 6 db and the highs by 2 db and left the mids almost untouched in the cipher cable app

is the isine20 better than my legend x of course not, but now with cipher cable its a different thing to enjoy

Hmm... yes i can relate with the "Mids" section with my unrooted LG V20 DAP, i had this issue too.
After i rooted the phone and installed viper4android the results were a huge difference also in EQ'ing the Isine's 20

Seems like the only way to go is cipher cable or a android phone with decent DAC in combination with viper4android
All other software won't suffice enough for these IEM's i think, because they need a good EQ software (isine's need to be EQ'ed) the only good one i know is viper4android
Blackplayer, poweramp, an other apps i tried don't even go near viper4android in my personal experience and that whats happening here i think

Bit drastic to say but this is the conclusion i take from this, android users seems to be screwed with only one option: Viper4android or cipher cable in combination with a iphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back