Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #4,711 of 7,352
I think it's all about preferences how you like to tune your sound, i personally couldn't listen to the "thin" sound the cipher cable is producing either
my equalizer goes with even more boosted low mids instead of lowering them but its personal, i know the is not reference or natural sound but it's what I like this the most
Pretty sure some DAC's are colored or using internal DSP systems like the ifi nano, some people will like this others won't

Is the ifi nano a better DAC than chord mojo? don't think so, it's different tuned
Mojo will be technically better, no doubt

But it's only your own ears who will tell what sounds good and what won't
The mojo is definitely superior to the Nano and you should be very happy with it. I have bought and sold the Mojo twice. I have the cipher cable as well but hate being stuck to apple devices. I did try the HUGO2 with the isine20 and it was awesome but way to expensive. And I like the fact the Chord uses an FPGA instead of off the shelf DACs, they produce great sound I just wish they were less expensive.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #4,712 of 7,352
That's the thing, 'close to LCD-3', actually closer than any $600 IEM has a right to! But they are not same calibre, not at all! 'Close' is fairly relative term, yes?

No one has claimed isine 20 sound better than LCD-3, if someone has claimed that, quote please, I'd have few questions for that person.

Why would anyone sell their LCD-3, because they now own isine 20? Or was it a trick question?

Not a trick question. Just wondering. I have not listened to the LCD3 myself. But I've been through it. Many times bought a more expensive stuff then realized the sound is not that much different to warrant the price and ended up selling them away

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,713 of 7,352
The mojo is definitely superior to the Nano and you should be very happy with it. I have bought and sold the Mojo twice. I have the cipher cable as well but hate being stuck to apple devices. I did try the HUGO2 with the isine20 and it was awesome but way to expensive. And I like the fact the Chord uses an FPGA instead of off the shelf DACs, they produce great sound I just wish they were less expensive.
don't like to be stuck with apple device either. shall it be usb-c and usable say in pc/linux/mac/android, that would be wonderful.

the following device does work in ALL of the above except apple i device. it sounds better than the cypher cable. of course, no match to mojo at all.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エレコム-Andro...id=1516636646&sr=8-1&keywords=elecom+dac&th=1

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #4,714 of 7,352
Not a trick question. Just wondering. I have not listened to the LCD3 myself. But I've been through it. Many times bought a more expensive stuff then realized the sound is not that much different to warrant the price and ended up selling them away

Agreed, it is not wise to buy just for the sake of upgrading, often the much more expensive next thing is not better at all, it may even have lower sound quality. Especially when buying $1999 headphones (I've had 2 sets, bought both at separate times, but both around half of the retail). And since Audeze transfers their 3 year warranty, no risk. Audeze even replaces drivers for latest incarnation, should you end up sending to them for repairs, and your set doesn't have latest drivers.

You should give LCD-3 a listen, for sure! Can buy a 2nd hand set for around $1000. Can't think of single piece of audio equipment that has given so much pleasure.

In perfect world they'd be a bit smaller in size, then I'd have no need for anything else. Maybe Shure, for noise isolation at airplanes, and very noisy streets and places. But sound qualitywise, I don't ask for more. Stax, yes, but they aren't portable, and I listen outside mostly. Really, given them a listen!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #4,715 of 7,352
don't like to be stuck with apple device either. shall it be usb-c and usable say in pc/linux/mac/android, that would be wonderful.

the following device does work in ALL of the above except apple i device. it sounds better than the cypher cable. of course, no match to mojo at all.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エレコム-Android-microUSB-オーディオアダプター-EHP-AHR192SV/dp/B01E6WGMBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516636646&sr=8-1&keywords=elecom+dac&th=1

That is one thing everybody seems to agree. For over 2 years nothing can touch Mojo. In portable audio world 2 years is very long time. If only it didn't look like a mangled soap box

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #4,716 of 7,352
That is one thing everybody seems to agree. For over 2 years nothing can touch Mojo. In portable audio world 2 years is very long time. If only it didn't look like a mangled soap box
That's the only reason I sold mine is due to the odd shape. I did love the sound. I liked the HUGO1 the best!
The isines are a great match with Chord products (Segue back to thread)

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #4,717 of 7,352

i am sooooo itchy and do have the money to buy new toys. but with mojo, hard to find reason for upgrade. the hugo 2 is way too huge compared with mojo. and the only improvement i guess is just the amp part.

and for the toys i use daily, which is a kz zs6 and audeze sine, i can't find any material difference in terms of sound for mojo and hugo 2.

isine is mostly collecting dust. :p but would be interested to grab the isine lx when it's released, mostly for the cipher v2 cable hope that it would sound better than the v1. and could be used on zs6 too. lol.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,719 of 7,352
That's the only reason I sold mine is due to the odd shape. I did love the sound. I liked the HUGO1 the best!
The isines are a great match with Chord products (Segue back to thread)

I listened to it after all the deserved hyped started, it is great machine. Never bought, couldn't live with the look. Shallow and silly, but I can't help it.
There should be an award for worst aesthetics in portable audio, like there are real industrial design awards, Mojo would win so easy lol. It looks horrific to me, apologies to all Mojo owners!

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #4,721 of 7,352
i am using the LG V30 (with neutron player and EQ ) with the isine it sounds great - i replaced my fiio x5 rd gen with fiio a5 amp and well as my iPhone 7 with cipher cable. You may want to consider the LG, you don't need to buy a serperate amp it will drive most headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,722 of 7,352
I listened to it after all the deserved hyped started, it is great machine. Never bought, couldn't live with the look. Shallow and silly, but I can't help it.
There should be an award for worst aesthetics in portable audio, like there are real industrial design awards, Mojo would win so easy lol. It looks horrific to me, apologies to all Mojo owners!

I take no offence and am fine with you having this opinion. Couldn't disagree more tho. Big LoL. But I thank you for being so candid. I'd never have imagined anyone would think the compact, pocketable form factor, with soooper easy to use buttons would ever be divisive.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,723 of 7,352
just received the $15.50 balanced cable from Penon and it is nicely put together. No issues with fitting the connectors on my 20's and it is a properly wired balanced cable. Did a quick listen with my Opus #1 and AK300 and will not really have any sound quality thoughts. My only comment is on the physical cable and whether or not it functions as intended. Oh and one last comment... I ordered this on Jan. 13 and received it today Jan 22. Penon is in Hong Kong and I'm in the US. Nine days from door to door and with customs clearance is way better than I expected.

Final thought

what is the quantity and purity of the silver? I have no way of knowing, but the cable functions as intended and is nicely assembled

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #4,724 of 7,352
just received the $15.50 balanced cable from Penon and it is nicely put together. No issues with fitting the connectors on my 20's and it is a properly wired balanced cable. Did a quick listen with my Opus #1 and AK300 and will not really have any sound quality thoughts. My only comment is on the physical cable and whether or not it functions as intended. Oh and one last comment... I ordered this on Jan. 13 and received it today Jan 22. Penon is in Hong Kong and I'm in the US. Nine days from door to door and with customs clearance is way better than I expected.

Final thought

what is the quantity and purity of the silver? I have no way of knowing, but the cable functions as intended and is nicely assembled

from the samples of the silver cable i received, seems to be indeed solid silver from my cable maker.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #4,725 of 7,352
just received the $15.50 balanced cable from Penon and it is nicely put together.

I ordered this on Jan. 13 and received it today Jan 22. Penon is in Hong Kong and I'm in the US. Nine days from door to door and with customs clearance is way better than I expected.

what is the quantity and purity of the silver?
I have no way of knowing, but the cable functions as intended and is nicely assembled

No idea about Silver content in their $15 cables. But isn't Copper better conductor?

I've bought 4 cables from Penon Audio, reasons I like their cables - top notch workmanship, at $15 incredible value. But most of all, they truly ship from Hong Kong, and not mainland China, almost every Ebay seller, who lists shipping location as HK, actually ship from China, and lucky if you receive it in less than a month. And Penon Audio ships from HK for free, how do they make any money on this is a mystery to me.

Curiously they don't offer 2.5mm TRRS cable for OPPO PM-1 and PM-2. I sent an email, and asked. Received a strange reply, Penon Audio says they are not, and not planning to make OPPO Balanced cable:

"At present can only do 3.5mm plug version,2.5mm balance can not be produced temporarily, because the metal plug is very easy to produce a short circuit, that is, the sound will play cracking noise interference."

Huh? They already make several cables with 2.5mm TRRS balanced plug, the only difference for OPPO would be 2 Mono 2.5mm plugs in each end, in place of MMCX that Shure uses, and 0.78 that many IEMs use. So later today when I get to use a soldering iron of a friendly Thai phone repair shop, I will make a Balanced cable myself, cut off MMCX plugs, and solder Mono 2.5mm plugs in their place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back