Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #4,681 of 7,348
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #4,682 of 7,348
That's great, thanks

Jan 19, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #4,683 of 7,348
I have been jamming to the Onkyo DP-X1 with the new iFi DSD Nano Black Label and the iSine20 with the JVC Spirals and this kicks the Ciphers ass by a long shot! Ive owned the 20s for about 6 months are so and they have never shined like they are now. The are so much more open and zero EQ, just plug and play.
Any reason you should use the DP X1 in combination with the iFi DSD Nano? Didn't the DP X1 drive the isine 20 well enough as a standalone DAC?
I'm just curious because i'm looking for a alternative for my LG V20 quad dac, the DP X1 came in my interest. or should i use the iFi DSD Nano in combination with LG V20?
I'm starting to read on other forums LG V20 quad DAC doesn't drive planars very well

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4,684 of 7,348
They both have great power but the 2 mSD slots and easy UI is what I like. I've had the Onkyo for a few years now so its a great source for anything. As for the Nano, in a huge fan of Burr Brown DACs and love the sound sig of it and how it pairs with the isine20.
I also have the LGV20 and I'm typing this reply with it, I think this sounds great but I only use it for music in a pinch or at the gym with my Bluetooth IEM.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #4,685 of 7,348
Yes on sound quality, it should sound very similar to iSine10. Not true on distortion, iSine LX shares the same close to negligible distortion of iSine 10/20.
My hope/wish is the lcd-i4 get this 'treatment' (not necessarily the same look tho). I own the iSine20 rather than the i4 only because I could not justify the price tag of the i4 (different than not being able to afford it). Also worried about yanking them with my foot to the floor as I got up, which I have done numerous times with my 20s to no ill effect. But doing that to my i4 would shatter me (even if not the i4). $1K cheaper would have had me.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #4,686 of 7,348
They both have great power but the 2 mSD slots and easy UI is what I like. I've had the Onkyo for a few years now so its a great source for anything. As for the Nano, in a huge fan of Burr Brown DACs and love the sound sig of it and how it pairs with the isine20.
I also have the LGV20 and I'm typing this reply with it, I think this sounds great but I only use it for music in a pinch or at the gym with my Bluetooth IEM.
Interesting, how would you compare the V20 with the Onkyo? close ? or like huge improvement/step up?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #4,687 of 7,348
My hope/wish is the lcd-i4 get this 'treatment' (not necessarily the same look tho). I own the iSine20 rather than the i4 only because I could not justify the price tag of the i4 (different than not being able to afford it). Also worried about yanking them with my foot to the floor as I got up, which I have done numerous times with my 20s to no I'll effect. But doing that to my i4 would shatter me (even if not the i4). $1K cheaper would have had me.
I think you're not the only one who is thinking this way :wink: jump up from 600€ to 3000€ could never been justified for a iem for me either, i would feel bad if I paid that price. knowing the i4 will sound like heaven... but still...
600€ for the isine 20 is a justified good price (amazing sound for this price i think, its like 2000€ sound for only 600€ if you understand what i mean)

If they would make an cheap plastic build i4 but with same drivers, this would be nice indeed

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #4,688 of 7,348
Hey, this is pretty surprising...

I thought my use of the iSine20 was to be limited to a source with EQ. But taking a SPDIF output from my cablebox to my Mojo (bitstream forced to 2 channel stereo thanks to a HDFury 4K Integral, SPDIF broken out from hdmi by it too ), catching up on performances from "The Four" ... and I gotta tell you, I'm more than content with what I am hearing! These do quality recorded live performances justice. Admittedly tho, a clapping screaming audience does go overboard and seem to resonate.

I think breakin is real with these and mine are broken in now too. Definitely seems to produce more goodness in tonal balance & dynamics than a few weeks ago.

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #4,689 of 7,348
So I just got back from the local HiFi store where I tried the full range of MrSpeakers & Focal. Also the HD800. Well, I have to say, while the Utopia was certainly in a completely ‘nother class, that trip solidified the iSine20 as my absolutely favorite headphones. The price, sound and portability are just stupid compared to full desk rigs. Which I don’t think I’ll be investing in.

Also: why did I go upstairs and listen to $20k speaker rigs? Cause speakers are the only place I’m going next.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #4,690 of 7,348
I just can't believe how hard these sons-of-bitches can hit! I never got that with the cipher, but the Nano BL brings it to a whole new level!!!
15165566859861011012606.jpg

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #4,694 of 7,348
I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for an equalizer on android, I want to try and replicate the effect on the VST that Audeze put out on the 20s, but idk how to exactly implement that
Viper4android, but its a pain in the ass to install on some devices or get it to work
Otherwise less good than viper4android but still okay are: onkyo hf player, poweramp, blackplayer

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #4,695 of 7,348
It bypasses the onkyo DAC, my onkyo is only the source the Nano is doing everything else. There is no EQ either as I'm not really a fa

Is that the DAC and the amplifier you use for your Onkyo DP X1, the ifi Nano? You use X1 just as SD card reader, yes.

iFi-nano-iDSD-BL-New-Release-1.jpg

iFi-nano-iDSD-BLack.jpg

May I ask why do you bypass Onkyo DP X1 dual Sabre dacs, and prefer ifi Nano? You say it really kicks a$$, is it 2 amps, 1 per each channel. Maybe ifi Nano has more powerful amplifiers. Got to look at ifi's output specs, I really need to keep up with these things.

It's just that Onkyo X1 is one of the handful of DAPs, and portable DAC/amps, that use 1 DAC, and 1 amp for each channel. X1 has very high output in Balanced mode.

I've seen ifi larger desktop DAC/amps in Asia, they are very nice, and small size for desktop gear.

ifi is based in Singapore, I believe, at least every hi fi store there carries full range of ifi products. Just never occured to me to try the Nano as a DAC and an amplifier for Onkyo DP X1, given how much power X1 puts out, and Saber DACs being widely recognized as almost end game DA chips. I have to give the Nano a try, that's for sure!

Would you say ifi Nano is substantially better sound overall, than headphones simply plugged into Onkyo DP X1 Balanced Out? Does ifi kick out more voltage, aka power? Does it even have a Balanced Out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back