Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #4,592 of 7,352
Aftermarket cable buyers ... if you have not seen this, great resource published by Audeze regarding the connector specs:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...Connector-info-for-iSINE-and-LCDi4-Headphones

The thing I found most interesting is about the 092 connector: "The recommended dimensions for connectors without this groove is 2.5mm x 5mm, and the pins are .75mm in diameter".

I.e. the 0.78mm 092 connector is only to be used if the connector has the groove.
Not that I doubt this in any way but, .03mm differance is fairly substantial. You'd think it would be really loose using the .75mm. I have a Forza cable I use with my isine20 that does have the groove and works perfectly and stays snug.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #4,594 of 7,352
Onkyo DP X1 TRRS (balanced 2.5mm) wiring is identical to Astell
I ended up buying it, and adapters. Also bought 2.5mm female to 4pin XLR male too from another buyer. Surprised how few of those there are; I found only the one from another seller.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #4,595 of 7,352
Thank you. Now I am confused.
Will they work or not?
Not that I doubt this in any way but, .03mm differance is fairly substantial. You'd think it would be really loose using the .75mm. I have a Forza cable I use with my isine20 that does have the groove and works perfectly and stays snug.
I think the 0.03mm smaller pins on a plug without the groove allows the plug to 'push out' the height of the groove so that the pins run along just one side of the plug barrel, perhaps at a bit of an angle if needed.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #4,596 of 7,352
it would be nice if the terminology was more standardized, but if the pentaconn folks have their way (and Sennheiser has jumped in) then 4.4mm will start emerging as a more prevalent way of balanced connection

Seems that it is Sony alone, who is building their gear with the 4.4mm TRRS.

Sony has a nasty habit of coming up with proprietary connectors, didn't their very first hi end DAP have some weird socket, where literally every other manufacturer uses USB, ZX1, was it? Friend of mine bought it on day 1, when Sony Center had it stock. We listened to this DAP at Sony store, using Grado headphones, it sounded fantastic!
An hour later he discovered that ZX1 is useless with his HD800, Sony's amplifier was laughable under powered, Grados we used in shop to test the ZX1 were mine, and I was so excited about the sound, he bought the player on the spot, paying full MRSP. Luckily he had Shure SE iems as well. In Thailand you can't simply return an item, there is no such thing here, no refund, no store credit, no nothing.

Instead of dikking around, and opting not to use USB Mini, or Type C they went and designed their own thing, Sony should have used a amplifier chip with higher output, and battery that lasts more than half a day.
Beautiful gadget though. But I felt so guilty for pushing him to buy it. Luckily I was broke at the moment, or I, too would have bought it

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,597 of 7,352
4.4mm Balanced output socket will result we will be buying yet another dangle, adaptor, or replacing existing headphone cables, soldering 4.4mm plugs to existing cables, buying new cables that have a 4.4mm plug... Why is necessary to reinvent a wheel? Just because they can!

Apple does it, but they are Apple, it's hopeless with them, they are on another planet all together. Every time Macbook comes up with yet another socket, miniports, thunderbolts, atermarket adaptor manufacturers open a Champagne.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #4,598 of 7,352
Seems that it is Sony alone, who is building their gear with the 4.4mm TRRS.

Sony has a nasty habit of coming up with proprietary connectors, didn't their very first hi end DAP have some weird socket, where literally every other manufacturer uses USB, ZX1, was it? Friend of mine bought it on day 1 it Sony Center had it stock. We listened to this DAP at Sony store, using Grado headphones, it sounded fantastic!
An hour later he discovered that ZX1 is useless with his HD800, Sony's amplifier was laughable under powered, Grados we used in shop to test the ZX1 were mine, and I was so excited about the sound, he bought the player on the spot, paying full MRSP. Luckily he had Shure SE iems as well. In Thailand you can't simply return an item, there is no such thing here, no refund, no store credit, no nothing.

Instead of dikking around, and opting not to use USB Mini, or Type C they went and designed their own thing, Sony should have used a chip with higher output, and battery that lasts more than alf a day. Beautiful gadget though. I felt so guilty for pushing him to buy it. Luckily I was broke at the moment, or I, too would have bought it

I know about Sony and proprietary... probably why I stay away. It seems that Sennheiser with their new 820 line (headphones and DAC/amp) display at this years CES are going the 4.4 mm route also, it could just be another option, and not standard. only Sennheiser knows that answer. My only concern with 2.5mm for any connector involves its strength when stress is applied and not sonically

update - I order one of the Penon cables to try with my 20's. I have 2 DAPs with 2.5mm balanced and would like to hear what they sound like in balanced mode. I already have an aftermarket 3.5 mm se cable that I enjoy with the 20's but I figure if I can get a low cost 2.5mm and I don't like the result I am out only 1 lunch this month and not more

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #4,599 of 7,352
I ended up buying it, and adapters. Also bought 2.5mm female to 4pin XLR male too from another buyer. Surprised how few of those there are; I found only the one from another seller.

Yep, strangely there are just a few sellers who offer those.
Adaptor for 2.5mm Balanced to 3.5mm Single Ended also only couple of sellers.

What's really bizarre, if you want to use your OPPO PM1 or PM2 with 2.5mm Balanced cable, there are 2 sellers in all of Ebay, both American sellers, Dyson Audio from Georgia, reasonably priced at $40, and lqicables from Chicago.

But there's a very useful adaptor, that only one manufacturer offers - 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm TRRS Female adaptor cable, Fiio makes it. A very useful dangle if you carry one set of headphones, with 2.5mm Balanced cable. I mainly use 2.5mm balanced cable on all headphones, but what if you wish to watch a youtube clip on smartphone, or tablet, or laptop.. all of them gave only the 3.5mm Single Ended output socket, and a 2.5mm plug isn't exactly fitting lol. That's when Fiio adaptor becomes a necessity. Plug Fiio dangle in a phone, and 2.5mm headphones to the dangle.

Forgot to add, it is very easy to make balanced cable for OPPO PM1 or PM2, I bought a $12 headphones cable with 2.5mm TRRS plug (balanced), this cable had MMCX connectors on the other end, then I bought two 2.5mm Mono plugs, ripped off the MMCX plugs, and soldered 2.5mm Mono plugs in their place, a 10 minute job. Mono plugs have plenty of space to solder the Ground and L and R wires, so it is easy. You can build the whole thing if even remotly familiar with soldering iron. But I absolutely hate to solder the TRRS plug, 4 solder joints in a tiny plug, you need a good quality soldering iron, and very steady hand, I do not lol, my one and only attempt to solder TRRS plug to fairly fat cable took half a day lol. Never again! Now you can buy a 2.5mm TRRS cable for $6, just replace Mono plugs that OPPO uses.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #4,600 of 7,352
The Spinfits appear to be taking over the groovy for me. Since I got these, I’ve been a bit prolific with my tip rolling having gone through a foam phase and am decidedly back to silicon these days.

I need more time to be sure but I think these might be forever :)

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #4,602 of 7,352
Anyone owning both Spinfits and Comply Foam Comfort 600 and can report the differences?
Is it worth the upgrade?
As I reported earlier for me the standard kit solutions were not sealing sufficiently. This was solved with the Complys. Downside was that upper frequencies were a bit more muffled and needed to be mitigated through eq settings.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #4,603 of 7,352
Anyone owning both Spinfits and Comply Foam Comfort 600 and can report the differences?
Is it worth the upgrade?
As I reported earlier for me the standard kit solutions were not sealing sufficiently. This was solved with the Complys. Downside was that upper frequencies were a bit more muffled and needed to be mitigated through eq settings.

Yes I have both. The spinfit has much better soundstage/localization queues and treble presence. Others stated it sounds “warm” but I think it’s just because the bass is extended due to the full seal. I’d recommend the spinfit as a Comply upgrade if you’re wanting more treble and soundstage with more clear definition toward the ends of the bass/treble spectrums.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4,604 of 7,352
Is it worth the upgrade?

Have both too.
Clearly th Spinfits are superior the Comply with the iSine 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back