Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
May 25, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,431 of 7,352
Just tried the Comply which came with my Audiofly AF78M. Also ordered some new. They are much more comfortable for me compared to all included silicon tips. Sound changes towards more darkness and more bass. Not that I like this but the comfort of the silicones is not good enough.

Agree on the sound signature changes. I spent a bit of time going between Groovy tips and Comply-Isolations over the past few days.

I think both actually sound excellent in their own way & I'll do my best to describe the differences: With Groovy tips, I feel like the sound image comes across much more "holographic." The Groovy tips are probably a bit better for critical listening. If sound stage is your preferred emphasis, they are up your alley. The Comply don't actually change the depth of the soundstage at all but the extra bass response smooths the treble and gives them a much more "over ear" feel in terms of impact. Comply retains a very spacious stage but you're not paying as much attention to it because the warmth of the memory foam presentation brings a feeling of intimacy where you can sit back and let the music roll in.

Overall, I'd say it's a big win to have both. I will use the Comply for 90% of my listening.

May 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,432 of 7,352
nigh and day. i prefer my sine more than the isine.
I guess it is personal taste. I have heard from many on various forums and people at my local audio stores that the isines are way better than the sine and el8 for that matter.

TWIN

May 25, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #2,433 of 7,352
I know you were asking kazekeil, but I wanted to add - I was planning on getting the etymotic ER4 to use alongside these. Haven't decided on SR or XR yet but it seems like a logical complement to the isines - way more portable/compact, very very good isolation, super flat, uncolored, detailed and neutral sound, easily driven. Ety's for the commute, isines for the office desk. Would love to hear comparisons of the i10/20 vs these ety's if anyone has direct experience.

Current owner of ER4S and ER4P, with the ER4XR winging its way to me as I write.

I also have the iSine 20, which I bought after spending considerable time A/Bing them with the 10.

Yes, agree that they complement each other well - and while they are both (to me) good all-rounders and perfectly enjoyable on their own, they show up each other's "shortcomings", so to speak, when compared with each other.

For instance, the Etys actually have a pretty well extended low end - especially with a good seal - but that planar bass obviously blows it out of the water. We need not even talk about soundstage - there is no contest there. But when it comes to openness and clarity, the Etys totally smother the iSines with their mids and treble. (I will say though, that Audeze's new groovy tips, which I posted about some pages earlier, do a good job of clearing up the veil in those frequencies and narrowing the gap between the two of them.) It goes on...

But the one thing neither of them really provides is the level of isolation that might be considered safe for a daily commute - the Etys isolate too much and the iSines not at all, whereas something in between would be ideal.

May 25, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,434 of 7,352
I guess it is personal taste. I have heard from many on various forums and people at my local audio stores that the isines are way better than the sine and el8 for that matter.

TWIN

maybe what i got is 10. i still don't like the 20 compared with 10. :p

the second hand price of 10 really sucks. losing around 1/3 of retail price.

May 25, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,435 of 7,352
Really!? Care to elaborate...or you can PM me the info. I have the Sine (out on loan) with ATH-MSR7 pads and SPC cables on it (balanced). I was wondering if the iSine10/20 would have been an upgrade. Granted... I haven't had much time with the Sine either.

probably because i used the sine more than the isine and got accustomed to the sound of sine. just personal preference.

one more interesting development.

got kz zst, and zs5, oh, boy, for the price of less than 1/20 of the isine 10, the zs5 really shine and good value for money. and best of all, it's closed design.

and for tips for isine, jvc spiral dots offered more details than changing the stock to kz silver plated cable. tried, foam tips, yamaha eph-100 tips, stock tips, stock groovy tips, still doesn't quite obvious cut as the jvc.

May 25, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2,436 of 7,352
Just got my i20's. Really enjoying them with my cipher cable. I also have the 846 and K10s and I think I prefer the i20's the best. Great soundstage. I probably like the K10's next. Good purchase. Tempted to check out the i4's but have have the LCD-4s for my home rig and when traveling around I would prefer not to carry a portable amp that needs charging so looks like the i20's will be a keeper.

May 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,437 of 7,352
Having some hissing with the Cipher cable when app is paused. I remember somebody already mentioned it but maybe someone can enlighten me a bit more. So when I I listen to music via the Qobuz app or see a video via Youtube and I pause the app, I get a hissing sound in the isine20 via the Cipher cable. Is this an Apple problem or a Cipher one? Never experienced this before with my ifiNano for example.

I'm using a Cipher cable with Qobuz and my isine 20s are totally quiet when I pause the music.

May 25, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,438 of 7,352
I'm using a Cipher cable with Qobuz and my isine 20s are totally quiet when I pause the music.
Thanks.
I contacted Audeze via Facebook and they asked me to send support an email, so I just wrote them:

"Hi,

I am proud new owner of isine 20 with Cypher cable since Wednesday.

Did contact you already via Facebook.

I am using the Cipher with an iPad Air, iPhone 7 and iPhone 6. All are on iOS 10.3.2
I have downloaded your App and the Cypher is on 5.0.6 and shows (iSin...)

There is a low level, high frequency tone sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both sides when I stop a song at Qobuz. Spotify or a video at Youtube. All native iOs apps. This happens not always but very often. Also when I restart the song.
Tone sometimes stays the same frequency sometimes changes to a different frequency. The tone stays for approx 3 - 4 seconds.

I reset my iPad and iPhones and made sure no other Apps were open.
The tone is also there on the iPad when I double klick the home button and then tip on the messenger app.

It is almost like I would hear how the Cypher gets powered up and how it is powering down.

The tone is not there when I use for example the normal cable with my iPad Air.

PS: My ears are perfectly fine, no tinitus etc. and I mainly listen between 1 - 3 clicks on the volume knob of yours."

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,439 of 7,352
After listening a whole day with the Cypher on my iPad and iPhone, going back to the Sony NW-ZX2 with them makes no sense. They sound kind of dull with the Sony.
So I have to use a different headphone with the Sony. Let's try the mitchell & johnson MJ2. Yes that works. Different but nice.

May 25, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,441 of 7,352
After listening a whole day with the Cypher on my iPad and iPhone, going back to the Sony NW-ZX2 with them makes no sense. They sound kind of dull with the Sony.

I know what you mean. I love my ZX2 though and prefer using that over my phone (love the hw buttons, plus i like my 200gb card with flac/dsd/dsf and simpsons episodes on it for the go etc). These EQ settings has it sounding close to the cipher signature for me, but still it's not quite the same.. that cipher cable is something. love it and hate it at the same time.

eq settings:
https://i.imgur.com/2n17CCQm.png
2n17CCQm.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #2,442 of 7,352
For instance, the Etys actually have a pretty well extended low end - especially with a good seal - but that planar bass obviously blows it out of the water. We need not even talk about soundstage - there is no contest there. But when it comes to openness and clarity, the Etys totally smother the iSines with their mids and treble.

That's awesome - thank you for that detailed impression. I was super close to pulling the trigger on the ETY ER4XR, but I saw that alo deals had a set of campfire audio orions with the litz cable for $250 used... now I'm torn! Trying to figure out which would complement the i20's better - apparently the orion is a little bass light but still warm and mid-centric.. ER4XR seems like it'd be balanced pretty evenly everywhere. ah, life is so difficult... :)

May 25, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,444 of 7,352
I know what you mean. I love my ZX2 though and prefer using that over my phone (love the hw buttons, plus i like my 200gb card with flac/dsd/dsf and simpsons episodes on it for the go etc). These EQ settings has it sounding close to the cipher signature for me, but still it's not quite the same.. that cipher cable is something. love it and hate it at the same time.

eq settings:
https://i.imgur.com/2n17CCQm.png
2n17CCQm.png

Wouldn't it be possible to better replicate the EQ of the Cypher if you had more bands to play with? What player is that (Sony's stock player)?

May 25, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2,445 of 7,352
That's awesome - thank you for that detailed impression. I was super close to pulling the trigger on the ETY ER4XR, but I saw that alo deals had a set of campfire audio orions with the litz cable for $250 used... now I'm torn! Trying to figure out which would complement the i20's better - apparently the orion is a little bass light but still warm and mid-centric.. ER4XR seems like it'd be balanced pretty evenly everywhere. ah, life is so difficult... :)

Used iPod touch :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back