Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Mar 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #91 of 214
Can one get a balanced cable for the Oppo pm-3? Just curious, I will most likely get these cans regardless if I can get a balanced cable. If these cans had not been released, I would had most likely gotten a Sennheiser Momentum 2 wired, but I prefer orthodynamic cans, thus the pm-3 seem like the ones to get.

not officially & oppo has stated they are not planning on releasing balanced cables. probably easily doable from custom cable companies as the oppo's use standard connectors.

however, I do think that there will be little to none sonic benefit from using a balanced cable compared to normal cabling with the PM-3s. (and I am a bit skeptical whether balanced cables improve other headphones as well). if you have SE input or another amp that allows for normal cable input, I would recommend saving the money honestly.

the pm-3s uses a single 2-notch 3.5mm jack that connects to the L-earcup and does have a recessed input hole with a gasket to 'lock' in a more secure connection, so will need to check the dimensions for the jack on the headphone side when ordering a custom cable.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #92 of 214
not officially & oppo has stated they are not planning on releasing balanced cables. probably easily doable from custom cable companies as the oppo's use standard connectors.

however, I do think that there will be little to none sonic benefit from using a balanced cable compared to normal cabling with the PM-3s. (and I am a bit skeptical whether balanced cables improve other headphones as well). if you have SE input or another amp that allows for normal cable input, I would recommend saving the money honestly.

the pm-3s uses a single 2-notch 3.5mm jack that connects to the L-earcup and does have a recessed input hole with a gasket to 'lock' in a more secure connection, so will need to check the dimensions for the jack on the headphone side when ordering a custom cable.

Alright thanks for the feedback, I shall not worry about a balanced cable and save the money. I am sure my Fiio E12 wil run these cans just fine. :)

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #93 of 214
Alright thanks for the feedback, I shall not worry about a balanced cable and save the money. I am sure my Fiio E12 wil run these cans just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

A potato can drive either of these headphones to a decent volume.

"Well?" is another question altogether (at least from a subjective standpoint.)

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #94 of 214

A potato can drive either of these headphones to a decent volume.

"Well?" is another question altogether (at least from a subjective standpoint.)

works well straight out of my s5, so amplification is not really that big of a deal with these headphones. i did notice subtle scaling (scaling is always pretty subtle imo unless originally underpowered) with my desktop set-ups, but the fio e12 or other entry level or portable amplifiers will work perfectly fine. the ha-2 portable amp/dac was designed with the pm3 in mind, so you can use that as a reference point as well if you like.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #95 of 214
Amongst my 3 portable hps, PM-3 has the most noticeable improvement when paired with desktop amp. The others being M100 and Momentum 1. The bass presence is more with my Lyr 2.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #96 of 214
and I am a bit skeptical whether balanced cables improve other headphones as well). if you have SE input or another amp that allows for normal cable input, I would recommend saving the money honestly.

Most us using balanced cables with full size cans don't think the cable improves SQ either, the doubled powered per channel certainly does for hungry transducers though (planar the main culprits).

For the particular headphones in this thread I wouldn't really expect there to be much benefit.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #97 of 214
Most us using balanced cables with full size cans don't think the cable improves SQ either, the doubled powered per channel certainly does for hungry transducers though (planar the main culprits).

For the particular headphones in this thread I wouldn't really expect there to be much benefit.

Hmmm thanks for you views on cables. I feel I have a little better understanding of them. I am still a noobie, to this stuff and still trying to gleam knowledge from the posts.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #98 of 214

Hmmm thanks for you views on cables. I feel I have a little better understanding of them. I am still a noobie, to this stuff and still trying to gleam knowledge from the posts.

Unless you have a headphone amplifier with balanced output (w/XLR connectors) there is no benefit to using balanced headphone cables.

To take advantage of any benefit of a balanced system the entire signal path should be balanced; Source (XLR)> >(XLR) HeadAmp (XLR)> >(XLR) -balanced cable- > Cans

Alternatively;
The headphone cable in the above Balanced system can be adapted to Single Ended: HeadAmp (XLR) >> (XLR to 1/4" or 1/8" adapter) >> Single Ended cable > Cans
BUT, if you employ a particularly long headphone cable like I do (20') a balanced cable within a balanced system will help ensure a clean signal.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #99 of 214
Unless you have a headphone amplifier with balanced output (w/XLR connectors) there is no benefit to using balanced headphone cables.

To take advantage of any benefit of a balanced system the entire signal path should be balanced; Source (XLR)> >(XLR) HeadAmp (XLR)> >(XLR) -balanced cable- > Cans

Alternatively;
The headphone cable in the above Balanced system can be adapted to Single Ended: HeadAmp (XLR) >> (XLR to 1/4" or 1/8" adapter) >> Single Ended cable > Cans
BUT, if you employ a particularly long headphone cable like I do (20') a balanced cable within a balanced system will help ensure a clean signal.

+1 Thanks for the information, I am saving for the Yggdrasil dac, to go with my Ragnarok, then I will have a true balanced system. I really like how my Vanquish cable, with XLR adapter, makes my AP'S sound through the Rag.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #100 of 214
I just plugged my EL-8s into my oppo HA-1 for the first time.

From a cold start, the sound wasnt very impressive at all.  I had to run high gain as Normal was too soft.

It maybe unfair, but the difference between my Audeze LCD3's running Norne Draug II Balanced really is night and day.  The bass really doesnt come through as heavy or hard hitting on the EL-8s as i imagined they would. 

It's funny, but i almost seem to prefer the sound of the HA-2, running Bass Boost over this amp which is a lot more powerful!

Bear in mind, these are only first impressions and the unit is fairly new and hasnt even heated up yet - but still, i thought i would post anyway.

It may not be fair to compare them to headphones that are 3x the price, but it really does show the difference between a flagship model and the "lower tier" model of Audezes.

I think these audeze might benefit from some aftermarket cables, maybe that's where the difference is .

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #101 of 214
from my experience the ha1 is very neutral, and analytical in sound signature. It feels a bit sterile and bland for my taste especially when paired with their own neutral headphones. But it has an amazing amp section, connection options and build quality. So it could be that the ha1 doesnt bring out copious amounts of bass, just enough to remain polite and tight

I prefer listening to audeze with burson products as it's said that they use audeze to tune their products and thus make a great match. (the conductor virtuoso is a bit warmer and the bass has more body and impact relative to the ha1, definitely give it a try sometime)

The difference your hear is definitely affected by your excellent cables on the lcd and the fact that you're comparing se and balanced. Perhaps you could try stock cables on both for a more fair comparison, as copper and copper litz / alloys tend to enhance low end among other benefits

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #102 of 214
from my experience the ha1 is very neutral, and analytical in sound signature. It feels a bit sterile and bland for my taste especially when paired with their own neutral headphones. But it has an amazing amp section, connection options and build quality. So it could be that the ha1 doesnt bring out copious amounts of bass, just enough to remain polite and tight

I prefer listening to audeze with burson products as it's said that they use audeze to tune their products and thus make a great match. (the conductor virtuoso is a bit warmer and the bass has more body and impact relative to the ha1, definitely give it a try sometime)

The difference your hear is definitely affected by your excellent cables on the lcd and the fact that you're comparing se and balanced. Perhaps you could try stock cables on both for a more fair comparison, as copper and copper litz / alloys tend to enhance low end among other benefits

most likely. The LCD3's sound incredible with the balanced norne draug 2's. They also have a couple of hundred hours of run in so it probably isnt fair.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #105 of 214
Good review. Any chance you've tried either Meridian Explorer 1 or 2? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back