Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 21, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #2,656 of 6,486
You're welcome. They're a good headphone, not for me, but I'm sure many will love their presentation. At this point there are relatively few data points for this headphone, so will be interesting to see where the consensus needle lands once these make their way out into the wild.

Most people's ears hear "wow" moments better with different type of cans. For me it happens to be closed ortho. Orthos give me a larger soundstage in a smaller area with incredible detail and resolution over dynamic headphones. Altho the impact isn't as awesome on Orthos it's just something I'll have to live with.

I'd love to see both the EL8 open and closed go up against all sub-$1,000 cams at some point and not just other Orthos. TH600, HD700, and the like.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,657 of 6,486
I had undisturbed use of the EL-8 at Addicted to Audio yesterday, was the only person in there for a good long while.

From the pics I really didn't like their looks before, and while I still wouldn't rate them that highly from that perspective, I did think they looked better in the flesh. The build seemed very high quality indeed, noted in little things like the smoothness in the swivel of the hinges. Reminded me of the Oppo PM-1 there. Comfort wise I found them OK, although I have a neck like a bull perhaps, since I don't find the other Audeze weight much of a problem either. They're definitely fairly weighty though. More problematic was the clamping force (I wear glasses, so perhaps more sensitive to that than some), although I believe this will be reduced in production models. It wasn't massively bad, don't get me wrong, but for myself I'd have reservations about the comfort of the clamp on longer listening sessions, at least on these pre-production ones. In comparison, when I put on my HE-6 (not lauded for their comfort in general) afterwards the relief was fairly palpable. The cables seemed ok, although the connector (pretty sure it's proprietary) can only be inserted in one orientation where I had previously thought it was akin to lightning/USB C where it'll go in either way (small thing, I know, but there it is).

I listened initially from my Note 4 with a Dragonfly 1.2, obviously not optimal, but with closed EL-8 and possible on the go use-cases I was interested in this data point. I wasn't wowed in any regard, although there was nothing glaringly wrong either. I found the imaging and soundstage just OK, and the bass impact and tightness weren't great for me (felt the bass also bled over the lower midrange slightly). Important contextual information: I have a bit of high frequency hearing loss, so some of the peaky treble some had noted earlier is unlikely to be bothersome to my ears. Look to other opinions for granular impressions of the treble handling you young guys with perfect heading.

I then listened via the WA5 (with upgrades) and the Questyle CMA800R to see whether things would scale a bit. The bass tightened a bit, and the imaging and separation also improved, but I still had no 'wow' moments. Naturally I can't vouch for the synergy of either of these pairings, having not heard the EL-8 on other amps, so they may have more to give of course. I really liked the LCD-3f on the Questyle though (I found the LCD-3 with the WA5 not at all to my liking - the pairing was 'too much of a good thing' where the warmth was concerned), if that helps any speculate on the pairing of the EL-8 with the Questyle.

After that I listened to the HE-6 from the same amps (although here the CMA800R was in monoblock mode), and for my ears the EL-8 was comprehensively outclassed. That might be expected a bit considering the price difference, however the HE-6 can be had secondhand quite often around that $700 mark, so the comparison is perhaps not as unfair as all that.

Obviously these impressions should be taken with a grain of salt to a large degree, I'd want to hear them over a much longer period on different DAC/amp pairings and my own familiar chain at home (Vega and Taurus MKII) to flesh these superficial impressions out some more. Unless someone wants to loan me a pair though I can't see that happening, since my audition today left me quite indifferent.

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you try the open-back version or just the closed ?

So the EL-8 are not that good with Metal music I guess ?

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,658 of 6,486
Thanks for your feedback.

Did you try the open-back version or just the closed ?

So the EL-8 are not that good with Metal music I guess ?

Just the open in fact. Can't believe I didn't mention that. Apologies all for any confusion.

I tried them on a variety of tracks and genres - Tool, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, GnR, Alanis Morissette, Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, Kyuss, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Bruce Springsteen, Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Down, Skindred, probably a few others that escape me right now.

Definite no-go for metal for me, my tastes there are very specific though and not necessarily generalisable to all metal listeners (for example I really disliked my LCD-2 pre-fazor for metal and some loved it). There is such heterogeneity amongst metal subgenres though that preferences can vary wildly and all are valid - for example listeners of Black Metal may very well enjoy a less transparent/more forgiving headphone than others.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,659 of 6,486
^Good feedback from your listening session. There's been lots of hype over these headphones but I think it's safe to say for me I'd like a definitive comparison between these and the HE-560 (despite the retail cost difference). My limited use of my HE-560 is very positive and a good improvement over my HE-500. Weight alone is great. Tempted to add the EL-8 but maybe an audition is needed based on the latest feedback.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,660 of 6,486
^Good feedback from your listening session. There's been lots of hype over these headphones but I think it's safe to say for me I'd like a definitive comparison between these and the HE-560 (despite the retail cost difference). My limited use of my HE-560 is very positive and a good improvement over my HE-500. Weight alone is great. Tempted to add the EL-8 but maybe an audition is needed based on the latest feedback.

I think with any headphone an audition is a must if you have the opportunity. Opportunities for that in NZ are fairly limited, so many of those I have purchased were purchased without audition (and I've had a few).

With these, if purchasing without audition, I'd be waiting a good long while to see opinions over time - the Audeze name is so strong that in addition to the usual honeymoon period many will be strongly swayed by expectation and confirmation bias.

You can see it in the sheer number of posts along the lines of 'Man I can't wait! These are the first Audeze I might be able to afford, I can't wait to have my first pair of Audeze!'. They've decided to buy already on brand, without knowing really anything about how they actually sound.

They will expect them to be amazing (and in many cases the these will be a step up the chain for those people, who won't have a lot/any experience with higher-end gear for points of reference), and then confirmation bias will confirm that yes they are amazing, their feedback will be wildly positive accordingly - and often out of all real proportion to the relative merits of the headphone - and more will pull the trigger when they see these opinions (usually discounting contrary opinions, because they really want to like these more affordable Audeze and believe their purchase will be the best thing since sliced) forming an affirming circle jerk of 'people in the club'.

That's what I'm referring to when I'm taking about 'where the consensus needle will fall in time'. That correction will probably take a while here, I mean until Audeze released higher models than the LCD-2 you'd have been mistaken for thinking the LCD-2 were godlike perfection, and criticisms were often 'shouted down' by members of the club.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2,661 of 6,486
^I felt your response hit the nail right on the head. We all have bias even subconsciously. Headphones experiences can be very subjective based on the genre of music. I too was waiting to jump on the Audeze bandwagon after hearing great things but was scared away from the LCD line due solely to their weight. I feel the HE-500 was already too heavy for extended listening. The EL-8 peaked my interest due to design and weight and I assumed it would have great Audeze class sound. I look forward to more reviews and less basis reviews and even auditioning but the problem with that is unless it's connected to the same Amp/DAC you use everyday you might experience a honeymoon phase too. Hopefully they live up the the hype for those who pre-ordered.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #2,664 of 6,486
We just wanted to confirm the change in specification for the EL-8 cable. The cables shipping with the headphones will be 2m (~6.5 ft)

Is that the big surprise?

any good news  here is not good enough 
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,666 of 6,486
Definite no-go for metal for me, my tastes there are very specific though and not necessarily generalisable to all metal listeners (for example I really disliked my LCD-2 pre-fazor for metal and some loved it). There is such heterogeneity amongst metal subgenres though that preferences can vary wildly and all are valid - for example listeners of Black Metal may very well enjoy a less transparent/more forgiving headphone than others.

Did you like the sound of the electric guitar on the EL-8 ?  Crunchy or polite like on the LCD-2 ?

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,667 of 6,486
Did you like the sound of the electric guitar on the EL-8 ?  Crunchy or polite like on the LCD-2 ?

Bearing in mind my only point of reference with the LCD-2 is pre-fazor, I think the EL-8 edges it. From what I can gather the LCD-2 with fazor is a bit different/improved, and I can't comment on that comparison.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #2,668 of 6,486
NZ,

The LCD-2.2 is a great phone to get wowed by others.

What I'm interested in is the SQ of EL-8 versus the other portables. Would it be fair to say it's the best portable out there?

Cheers.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #2,669 of 6,486
What other portables are even in this price category? Most portable's are significantly cheaper, my interest is piqued by the PM-3 right now, curious to see how this compares, particularly how easy it is to be driven by DAP's/phones/etc. for true portable use.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #2,670 of 6,486
I'm hoping that the EL-8 closed is noticeable superior to the Signature Pro or DJs. To my knowledge those two may be the best portables currently on the market considering the cable included, folding and carry case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back