Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,686 of 6,486
They could take a leaf out of Audio-Technica's book and ship all three cables in the box.

My new ATH-MSR7 comes with:

1.2m remote

1.2m no remote

3m no remote

Impressed I am :happy_face1:

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,687 of 6,486
They could take a leaf out of Audio-Technica's book and ship all three cables in the box.

My new ATH-MSR7 comes with:

1.2m remote

1.2m no remote

3m no remote

Impressed I am
happy_face1.gif

Those cables are also factored into the MSRP. The EL-8, at $699, includes a single cable. It's up to the user to buy any additional cables they want. I prefer it that way because I don't want to pay for cables that I will never use.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,690 of 6,486
Most likely get to markup the cables by a whole bunch more when selling them separate.

One of the advantages, to the vendor, of proprietary cables.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #2,693 of 6,486
Is the EL8 officially launch yet?
Don't remember reading any date...
Maybe I had missed it?

It was originally Feburary, but now it says the end of march according to Audeze's website.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,695 of 6,486
  We just wanted to confirm the change in specification for the EL-8 cable. The cables shipping with the headphones will be 2m (~6.5 ft)

Thanks for the update. I think it's a good decision.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #2,696 of 6,486
  Mike, if you have time could you let us know what you think between the XC and the EL-8. I know what you have right now is the open version but I am on the verge of pressing the buy button on the closed EL, but am being very very hesitant because I do not want to pass up a possible much better sound from the XC if that is the case.

Thank you very very very much.

I'm not Mike but I also have the XC and to be honest it's the end game HP for me. I've had the HD800, TH600, heard the TH900, LCD-2, LCD-X and many others and I can honestly say the XC is the sound I was hoping. It is my reference HP and I've started EQing other HPs to sound similar to them to remove the upper-bass and lower-mid muddiness that tends to plague most headphones.

That said, I have a very good feeling they (EL-8 closed) will be tuned similarly to the XC and will sound incredible. If you look at Audeze's past you can always walk away knowing that even if you didn't particularly care for the sound they sounded amazing and it's a matter of finding one that you like the most not whether or not you like them to begin with. I can say that I'm personally not worried about the EL-8 being a bad headphone and disappointing.

If the closed EL-8 does manage to be cleaner and lighter sounding like the XC vs the X then I'd be more than happy. If they manage to maintain more of the Audeze house sound I'll be happy as well. 

Yes, Audeze will likely put out a revision relatively quickly but I don't see anyone having a problem with that when it comes down to it. If you're going to say they made a mistake by making their product better then maybe we need to reevaluate our hobby. :p To be honest even the LCD-2 both fazor and non-fazor have a very good resell value even still. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,697 of 6,486

It really doesn't make any sense to review preproduction in detail. Could have saved yourself the hassle. 
deadhorse.gif

Thank you, good point. Interesting first impressions but for the record the original EL-8 had a resonance that put some listeners off at CES. Some of these pre-production units had been distributed to dealers. The problem was addressed and the fix, an extra step in diaphragm production, has been applied to all production EL-8s. We're almost ready to supply dealers with production headphones which includes a head-band pressure adjustment. Regarding the cables... we're still not able to tell you what's coming, awaiting various approvals, will spill the beans as soon as possible. 

Thank you all for your avid interest, it means a lot to us. 
Audeze

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #2,698 of 6,486
  Thank you, good point. Interesting first impressions but for the record the original EL-8 had a resonance that put some listeners off at CES. Some of these pre-production units had been distributed to dealers. The problem was addressed and the fix, an extra step in diaphragm production, has been applied to all production EL-8s. We're almost ready to supply dealers with production headphones which includes a head-band pressure adjustment. Regarding the cables... we're still not able to tell you what's coming, awaiting various approvals, will spill the beans as soon as possible. 

Thank you all for your avid interest, it means a lot to us. 
Audeze

Thanks for the update.

I hope that the EL-8 will be worth the hype 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back