Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 24, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,716 of 6,486
The official metal headphone thread here on headfi shows the LCD-X below par for metal compared to the LCD2 & LCD3. I personally prefer the X much more than the 2 or 3. It's cleaner sounding and the extended upper end makes for better enjoyment to my ears. Since the X I've gotten the XC which are leaner and lighter sounding by comparison but I like them even more.

Agree with this 100%. I just got the LCD-X and find it does pretty well with metal. It's just fast enough to work with the genre, and the overall clarity and detail cuts through dense walls of distortion quite well. I'm coming from the HD700 which is an incredibly fast phone for metal, but the LCD-X sounds great with metal and is a much better all-rounder for everything else.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,717 of 6,486
  I just called audio concepts in Dallas, they said they have some on order and should be available soon. I will for sure need to go down there and hear it in person once available. Looking forward to peoples impressions when they get their hands on the first wave of shipments.

What happens now? Should I order?

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #2,718 of 6,486

What happens now? Should I order?

Wat. I'm just saying for people who don't have a lot of headphones to compare to, there is a place in Dallas (think the only one in the DFW area actually) with a lot of different headphones that should be getting some EL-8 soon as well. I plan on hearing them before dropping $700 on them. But judging by your extensive collection of headphones... yeah man, just order it from audeze...

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #2,719 of 6,486
Wat. I'm just saying for people who don't have a lot of headphones to compare to, there is a place in Dallas (think the only one in the DFW area actually) with a lot of different headphones that should be getting some EL-8 soon as well. I plan on hearing them before dropping $700 on them. But judging by your extensive collection of headphones... yeah man, just order it from audeze...

what's the place called?

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #2,721 of 6,486

what's the place called?

Audio Concepts. Its on the North side of Dallas, TX.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2,722 of 6,486
  Audio Concepts. Its on the North side of Dallas, TX.

Wow, that brings back memories, the first time I heard Maggies was at Audio Concepts, great store!!!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,723 of 6,486
  lol... we'll finally be getting some real impressions of production products with direct comparisons against other equipment. hope some unbiased & good reviewers get their hands on these! :)

looking forwarding to hearing more about these.

I'm pumped to get a final production pair myself!!
Put in for pre-order as SOON as we were able!!

but - STILL gotta hear the closed-backs!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,724 of 6,486
  Glad to have you back Mike.  Curious if you'll be receiving the closed version now that the production model appears to be ready.  I'd love to hear you compare and contrast the two offerings.

Thanks!

Alex needs me tonight so I'll be back in the fold tomorrow here for SURE.

and - h__ yeah! I'm psyched to get the closed-backs for review and comparison!
After all - I'm beginning to love the open-backs - but my wallet won't support both!

So I'm really lookin' forward to hearing the closed - as that's what I'm most interested in!

More reports to follow...
  Nice to see you back Mike. Hope everything gets better for you and your wife. 

Thanks man - really appreciate it - its been a ROLLER COASTER

I just read your review on Enjoythemusic and am very excited to hear some more after getting even more excited reading through that post.

Those NuForce and Burson amps are gorgeous, now I need even more money to test out new products haha.

Will be interested to see your thoughts on the open versus closed back when you get those EL 8's in since I love my HD 650s but need a better pair of closed back.

I'll be following up w/ Audeze ASAP on the closed-back review pair!!
and thanks for reading that! I put alot into that piece - with the different systems and track-by-track impressions.

NEXT:
Some headphone comparisons!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2,725 of 6,486
Thanks for writing it up, I like the fact that your writing doesn't always just include stats and values but the emotion of the music since that is what first got me into music when I was younger and keeps me interested now.

Quote:
  Thanks!

Alex needs me tonight so I'll be back in the fold tomorrow here for SURE.

and - h__ yeah! I'm psyched to get the closed-backs for review and comparison!
After all - I'm beginning to love the open-backs - but my wallet won't support both!

So I'm really lookin' forward to hearing the closed - as that's what I'm most interested in!

More reports to follow...
Thanks man - really appreciate it - its been a ROLLER COASTER

I'll be following up w/ Audeze ASAP on the closed-back review pair!!
and thanks for reading that! I put alot into that piece - with the different systems and track-by-track impressions.

NEXT:
Some headphone comparisons!!

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #2,726 of 6,486
Thanks for writing it up, I like the fact that your writing doesn't always just include stats and values but the emotion of the music since that is what first got me into music when I was younger and keeps me interested now.

Hearing that kinda feedback KEEPS ME GOIN'. No joke. I am so f____in' grateful, and lucky to be able to do this after 20+ yrs in audio and the music biz. What you touch on (and why I'm into personal audio, stereo, sound, all that jazz... its the greatest vehicle to our music) is how I landed at The Absolute Sound as a punk-ass teenager! After answering phones - eventually learning from Harry - He never published graphs (NOT-hating on numbers - seriously) - he didn't believe a test bench could capture the musicality of a system, or a component, as its reproducing music, which is an art-form, and therefore stirs emotion and cannot be quantified. I also enjoy technical reviews - and sometimes I get more techy - but I wanna know about the whole experience - I try my best anyway - THX  

Now, I've worked my __ off - there and Atlantic thereafter - so I also know none of this should be taken for granted. Look at this amazing hobby - we're all lucky we're able to enjoy such wonderful music reproduction toys... 

SORRY for goin' off topic! 

Like I said earlier in the Thread tonight:
Just being w/ Alexandra right now  -

But, since our dear friend G (a.k.a Gina) stopped by to just kick-back and chill with us - I thought I'd share a couple pix of her listening to the open-back EL-8s being driven by the Burson Conductor Virtuoso - listening sesh started w/ Paul Simon's "The Only Living Boy in New York" - ended w/ Siskiyou's "Best Friend REMIX":

Now - Gina's no-Head-Fier - but, she said a couple of things that simply cracked me the f__ up - so I wrote em down (ALL w/ her permission of course).
FYI: Gina, though by no means a headphone enthusiast, has heard everything here - from the LAu driving HD800s or LCD-3 w/ Fazors, etc...

Couple of G snippets - and remember I wrote these comments down because they cracked me up - I'm not making ANY claims, nor is she,
just sharin' what made me laugh:

(I mentioned some people were concerned with the EL-8s weight) to that she said: "dude, if a guy, a man is bit____g about the weight of these amazing f_____in' headphones, tell him he's a lil' b__h." "Also say he should give me all his high-end headphones - he doesn't deserve em"

"I needed that Mikey, that was like music therapy, almost as effective as my v______r and the headphones you lent me (Grado 325is and Pan Am headphone amp) without the added help." "aren't you proud of me?" "I can finally say I had an eargasm"

I had to share that - again - because she cracked me up like mad,
and I needed it
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #2,727 of 6,486
Haha, that cracks me up.

On a different note, I'm curious about how these stack up against the LCD series.  I know you've said you don't like comparing them, so I apologize!  I can't help it!  Looking at my finances, I have decided I can safely make one true high-end headphone purchase.  So I'm not concerned with the price difference between the LCD and EL lines so long as there is a significant difference in quality.  So, would you say there is a significant bump up in quality going from the EL series to the LCD series, or can the EL series hold their own?

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #2,728 of 6,486
  Haha, that cracks me up.

On a different note, I'm curious about how these stack up against the LCD series.  I know you've said you don't like comparing them, so I apologize!  I can't help it!  Looking at my finances, I have decided I can safely make one true high-end headphone purchase.  So I'm not concerned with the price difference between the LCD and EL lines so long as there is a significant difference in quality.  So, would you say there is a significant bump up in quality going from the EL series to the LCD series, or can the EL series hold their own?

While I definitely still believe you shouldn't compare them - like comparing a jacked-up 3 series BMW to the X6... Both terrific, but both built for different levels of performance, in different, and, in the case of the statement piece - and in more ways!

BUT-  I also said, that since all of us Audeze devotees only knew of, when it came to Audeze, was our LCD-series!! 
So we ALL started at Audezes top-flite! They were learning everything as they went along too! 

To me - thus far, and I think I can say, without any doubt for me, that the open-back EL-8 is not only a terrific headphone, and it consolidated my number of reference cans (as I've said before) but my experience with it - from sliding it on and gettin' it right - to hearing music through it, handling it, etc... It's shows, IMHO, a positive step for Audeze if their marketing guys (as I said in my piece) have a serious war-book written-up!!

HOWEVER:

IMHO:

If you're looking for state-of-the-art at-home - or, w/ the XCs anywhere - you're going for the LCD-series - 
and this said after really fallin' for the EL-8...

I keep jumping back (on my LCD-XCs right now) and its just another level - but the sonic Audeze DNA is there.

Yeah - if you're still seeking the Ultimate sonic experience from Audeze - LCD - for me anyway.

But - the EL-8s also take care of (FINALLY) the out-the-door cans too!
Well, I'm psyched to hear the production-level closed-back to check that out...

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #2,730 of 6,486
Those are some great quotes, gotta love when someone who isn't necessarily a headphone enthusiast can still listen and enjoy the music.  It reminds me of when I had my mom listen to music through my headphones and she was able to appreciate them until she heard the price haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back