Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 19, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #6,316 of 6,486
While I don't know what Audeze's official policy on repair vs. replace is, I don't think they would charge you "extra" if they decide to replace your headphones in for repair with an updated version.

I don't recall seeing any posts where that's occurred in any of the Audeze threads.

Okay. Good.  Thank you  I guess I buy an EL8 see how it works out and then if a warranty issue arises send them to Audeze for warranty after the 2.0 comes out.  I spoke with someone a few days ago on this thread that had an old stock EL8 he/she said something about Audeze wanting around $150 to upgrade the drivers to the new stock of EL8 drivers.  That is why I ask.  Kind of seems like a bad deal.  I believe the person was in warranty, but Audeze was considering it an upgrade and not a warranty maybe?  The person also liked the sound of the old stock drivers so instead just kept them as they are.  There were no problems with the headphones.

Thanks

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #6,317 of 6,486
While I don't know what Audeze's official policy on repair vs. replace is, I don't think they would charge you "extra" if they decide to replace your headphones in for repair with an updated version.

I don't recall seeing any posts where that's occurred in any of the Audeze threads.

Okay. Good.  Thank you  I guess I buy an EL8 see how it works out and then if a warranty issue arises send them to Audeze for warranty after the 2.0 comes out.  I spoke with someone a few days ago on this thread that had an old stock EL8 he/she said something about Audeze wanting around $150 to upgrade the drivers to the new stock of EL8 drivers.  That is why I ask.  Kind of seems like a bad deal.  I believe the person was in warranty, but Audeze was considering it an upgrade and not a warranty maybe?  The person also liked the sound of the old stock drivers so instead just kept them as they are.  There were no problems with the headphones.

Thanks

Riley

I would expect Audeze (and every other manufacturer) to charge for an upgrade to a properly working set of headphones. When the fazors were added a few years ago, there was a paid upgrade offered for the LCD-3.

Repairs done under warranty that required new drivers got the new fazor version. If you think about it from the manufacturers perspective, it probably makes sense for them as well. You can only keep so many spare parts around so instead of sitting on a lifetime supply of unfazored drivers, it's easier to just replace failed old parts with current versions of those parts.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #6,318 of 6,486
I would expect Audeze (and every other manufacturer) to charge for an upgrade to a properly working set of headphones. When the fazors were added a few years ago, there was a paid upgrade offered for the LCD-3.

Repairs done under warranty that required new drivers got the new fazor version. If you think about it from the manufacturers perspective, it probably makes sense for them as well. You can only keep so many spare parts around so instead of sitting on a lifetime supply of unfazored drivers, it's easier to just replace failed old parts with current versions of those parts.

Good point.  I did not consider that.  Do you think if I had an EL8 under warranty and it had an issue after the 2.0 was released they would give me a 2.0?  Most people from what I have read have got back a brand new in box sealed headphone when they sent in an EL8 for warranty.  I don't know if they just don't repair them or if they refurbish them and sell them as B Stocks or what they do exactly.  The EL* is being phased out and replaced by the 2.0 due to so many problems with them that Audeze can't seem to fix.  I am not bashing them I am giving them creditc for seeing a problem and trying a few solutions and then in the end just starting over for greater good of the consumer.

Thanks

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #6,319 of 6,486

Good point.  I did not consider that.  Do you think if I had an EL8 under warranty and it had an issue after the 2.0 was released they would give me a 2.0?  Most people from what I have read have got back a brand new in box sealed headphone when they sent in an EL8 for warranty.  I don't know if they just don't repair them or if they refurbish them and sell them as B Stocks or what they do exactly.  The EL* is being phased out and replaced by the 2.0 due to so many problems with them that Audeze can't seem to fix.  I am not bashing them I am giving them creditc for seeing a problem and trying a few solutions and then in the end just starting over for greater good of the consumer.

Thanks

Riley

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd suspect the timing of the repair would determine what you get. The longer the 2.0 is out, the less likely it is they would have 1.0 parts.

If it's a big concern, you could always wait a bit and buy the v2.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #6,320 of 6,486
Pure speculation on my part, but I'd suspect the timing of the repair would determine what you get. The longer the 2.0 is out, the less likely it is they would have 1.0 parts.

If it's a big concern, you could always wait a bit and buy the v2.

I realize I could wait, but I don't have a credit card to order and I have no dealers that carry Audeze with them. I would be easier to get them with cash while in San Francisco and send them to Audeze for warranty if needed.

Could anybody give a guess on the percentage of bad EL8s that have had problems?  That would help my decision.

Thank you

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #6,321 of 6,486

I realize I could wait, but I don't have a credit card to order and I have no dealers that carry Audeze with them. I would be easier to get them with cash while in San Francisco and send them to Audeze for warranty if needed.

Could anybody give a guess on the percentage of bad EL8s that have had problems?  That would help my decision.

Thank you

Riley

Need to separate in to different drivers:
​original EL8 up to Nov2015 and new driver from Dec 2015
There was a lot of problems with the original driver, I would say 20-30%
With the newer driver I haven't seen many problems, so I would estimate 1-3%

These are WAGS so take with a grain of salt

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6,322 of 6,486
  Need to separate in to different drivers:
​original EL8 up to Nov2015 and new driver from Dec 2015
There was a lot of problems with the original driver, I would say 20-30%
With the newer driver I haven't seen many problems, so I would estimate 1-3%

These are WAGS so take with a grain of salt

Thank you.  That was very helpful.  I might just try a current EL8 first.  How about other problems with the EL8 percentage wise?  Like earcups falling off and headbands cracking or breaking?

And a total percentage would be very helpful too of all problems.

Thanks

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #6,323 of 6,486

Thank you

Riley

I forgot you had mentioned buying them on an upcoming trip. Sorry about that.

I think it's going to hard to get accurate metrics on failures, but the other posts here about the dramatically higher failure rates on the pre white box compared with the white box version seem reasonable based on this thread's activity.

There are a couple of great headphone stores in San Francisco, so you should have no trouble auditioning them with a variety of gear.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #6,324 of 6,486
Here is an email I got back when I inquired about the 2.0 from Audeze.

Sorry, but this information is WRONG. We dramatically improved the EL8 (all models) to “Rev 2” back in Jan 2016. So we’ve been shipping the 2.0 version for over a year now.  While we made improvements to the cables and magnetic earcup connectors, most improvements were to the driver design and manufacture. Since we’re always improving our headphones, it’s possible this blogger misunderstood someone at Audeze. Our marketing dept did publish a release for our iSINE press party in NYC last year that included some language to "...come hear the EL8 2.0," but this was really to help get the word out that we had revised the EL8s earlier in 2016, as we didn't think many people in the press were aware of our substantial improvements. There are no further major updates planned for the EL8s for the foreseeable future.

If you haven’t heard our EL8 models in more than a year, then please take a listen; we think you’ll find them to be the best sounding headphones in their price range - and then some.
cleardot.gif

I found this to be a little rude and defensive personally.

I called Audeze right before close about the 2.0 and Mark Cohen emailed me close to 10:00 last night  This could be because they do not want people knowing about the 2.0 except for a select few or it could be true.  I have no idea.  I will take my chances in April with the current EL8 as that is my only chance to buy them.

Riley

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #6,325 of 6,486

Quote:

Here is an email I got back when I inquired about the 2.0 from Audeze.

Sorry, but this information is WRONG. We dramatically improved the EL8 (all models) to “Rev 2” back in Jan 2016. So we’ve been shipping the 2.0 version for over a year now.  While we made improvements to the cables and magnetic earcup connectors, most improvements were to the driver design and manufacture. Since we’re always improving our headphones, it’s possible this blogger misunderstood someone at Audeze. Our marketing dept did publish a release for our iSINE press party in NYC last year that included some language to "...come hear the EL8 2.0," but this was really to help get the word out that we had revised the EL8s earlier in 2016, as we didn't think many people in the press were aware of our substantial improvements. There are no further major updates planned for the EL8s for the foreseeable future.

If you haven’t heard our EL8 models in more than a year, then please take a listen; we think you’ll find them to be the best sounding headphones in their price range - and then some.
cleardot.gif

I found this to be a little rude and defensive personally.

Riley

I talked to Audeze on the phone about the EL8.  They told me the 2.0 will be out mid year and be a huge improvement quality control wise.  The gentleman I spoke with said they are working on fazing out completely current and old stock EL8 and will replace with EL8 2.0 mid year.

So we have 2 contradicting quotes from 2 Audeze reps. One of them is false and the other is the truth. Who do we believe?
I want to believe the email you just received because it's much more explicit and it's possible that 2.0 talk was misunderstood. However, it could also be the case that Audeze are now worried about people holding back from buying the current EL-8 waiting for something new around the corner, so they're denying that there are such plans...

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #6,326 of 6,486

So we have 2 contradicting quotes from 2 Audeze reps. One of them is false and the other is the truth. Who do we believe?
I want to believe the email you just received because it's much more explicit and it's possible that 2.0 talk was misunderstood. However, it could also be the case that Audeze are now worried about people holding back from buying the current EL-8 waiting for something new around the corner, so they're denying that there are such plans...

Correct.  I do not know what to believe so I am just letting it go until one or the other is proven true.  I am not going to let it become an obsession to find out or let it stress me out or control me.  For now I am planning to buy the current EL8 in San Francisco when I go to a concert.  I will worry about stuff again if I have to send it in for warranty.

Peace

Riley

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #6,327 of 6,486

Correct.  I do not know what to believe so I am just letting it go until one or the other is proven true.  I am not going to let it become an obsession to find out or let it stress me out or control me.  For now I am planning to buy the current EL8 in San Francisco when I go to a concert.  I will worry about stuff again if I have to send it in for warranty.

Peace

Riley

I believe the 2.0 is the driver revision done in Dec 2015-Jan 2016, this was well noted on this thread and the LCD-2 thread by many so what you will find in stores is the latest revision only.  But from the email it seem like they are doing another redesign so who knows.  The LCD-2 went through 5 revisions in a 4 year period IIRC, LCD-2, LCD-2.1, LCD-2.2, LCD-2f, LCD-2fv2.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #6,328 of 6,486
  I believe the 2.0 is the driver revision done in Dec 2015-Jan 2016, this was well noted on this thread and the LCD-2 thread by many so what you will find in stores is the latest revision only.  But from the email it seem like they are doing another redesign so who knows.  The LCD-2 went through 5 revisions in a 4 year period IIRC, LCD-2, LCD-2.1, LCD-2.2, LCD-2f, LCD-2fv2.

The fairly rude email I got from Mark Cohen seemed more like they were trying to cover something up and he was angry that somebody that should not have this information.  He was very defensive and almost calling me out and blaming me.  I wonder if the people that tried the 2.0 in NYC had to sing a non disclosure agreement or something?  Not be a conspiracy theorist, but it seems suspect.

Riley

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #6,329 of 6,486
In your first contact about the Rev2 it was noted with a date of Jan 2016 which would make it the revised drivers and be the same as the ones Mark is referring to as being out for more than a year so maybe in the interest of keeping things clear the revised drivers from Dec 2015/Jan 2016 are now being called Rev2 by Audeze so it might be better to refer to them as EL8v2.  This is something you might want to confirm with Audeze.

There have been some with older LCD-2.1/2.2 that were sent in for repairs and came back with the latest Fazor V2 drivers.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #6,330 of 6,486
  In your first contact about the Rev2 it was noted with a date of Jan 2016 which would make it the revised drivers and be the same as the ones Mark is referring to as being out for more than a year so maybe in the interest of keeping things clear the revised drivers from Dec 2015/Jan 2016 are now being called Rev2 by Audeze so it might be better to refer to them as EL8v2.  This is something you might want to confirm with Audeze.

There have been some with older LCD-2.1/2.2 that were sent in for repairs and came back with the latest Fazor V2 drivers.

Okay.  That is helpful.  The 2 people I have spoke to about this gave me completely different information about an all new EL8.  So I am just going to buy an old EL8 in San Francisco when I am there in April and because I really liked the sound.  It was around January 5th I heard the titanium version at an Apple Store.  Would the pair I heard be the latest revision or old?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back