Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 18, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6,303 of 6,486

$6? On Amazon the originals cost $45 without shipping. You can get a different make for $20. Where do you buy yours?

Ebay, tried a few different vendors and since the workmanship is average I've been mixing and matching 6 sets into matching pairs.  These are not the 3 layer construction of the original Grado G pad ($45), more like the Earzonk ($20) replacement.  While I have one true Grado G pad I like the cheaper one better due to comfort, its softer but I would think it will not last as long but at $6/pair hard to complain.

For the L pads I stick with the Grado 3 layer one, better sounding and about the same comfort as the cheaper Earzonk to me.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #6,304 of 6,486
  Ebay, tried a few different vendors and since the workmanship is average I've been mixing and matching 6 sets into matching pairs.  These are not the 3 layer construction of the original Grado G pad ($45), more like the Earzonk ($20) replacement.  While I have one true Grado G pad I like the cheaper one better due to comfort, its softer but I would think it will not last as long but at $6/pair hard to complain.

For the L pads I stick with the Grado 3 layer one, better sounding and about the same comfort as the cheaper Earzonk to me.

Considering that they last only 2 years, it's not that you get your money's worth in terms of quality with the originals. So it's down to comfort and sound (if there's any difference). But it's weird about getting varying sizes from other vendors. How hard should it be to get the size right??

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #6,305 of 6,486
I talked to Audeze on the phone about the EL8.  They told me the 2.0 will be out mid year and be a huge improvement quality control wise.  The gentleman I spoke with said they are working on fazing out completely current and old stock EL8 and will replace with EL8 2.0 mid year.  I expect mid summer.  He said they were really bad build quality and should have been a lot better.  Now having seen a few earcups fall off and the driver issues seem way too common even in the new stock for the price.  I would expect better.  I am going t wait until the 2.0 is out for an Audeze headphone.  Anybody has a suggestions for a headphone similar in sound please PM me.  I am looking for a similar headphone in sound with better build quality that would be reliable.  I do not want to get in trouble for derailing the thread.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #6,306 of 6,486
  I talked to Audeze on the phone about the EL8.  They told me the 2.0 will be out mid year and be a huge improvement quality control wise.  The gentleman I spoke with said they are working on fazing out completely current and old stock EL8 and will replace with EL8 2.0 mid year.  I expect mid summer.  He said they were really bad build quality and should have been a lot better.  Now having seen a few earcups fall off and the driver issues seem way too common even in the new stock for the price.  I would expect better.  I am going t wait until the 2.0 is out for an Audeze headphone.  Anybody has a suggestions for a headphone similar in sound please PM me.  I am looking for a similar headphone in sound with better build quality that would be reliable.  I do not want to get in trouble for derailing the thread.

I wouldn't worry too much about the build quality, Audeze has really good customer service and for some who wanted to update their drivers from the original Fazor to the latest Dec 2015 version the price was very reasonable IMO.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #6,307 of 6,486
  I wouldn't worry too much about the build quality, Audeze has really good customer service and for some who wanted to update their drivers from the original Fazor to the latest Dec 2015 version the price was very reasonable IMO.

May I ask what updating the drivers cost?  Feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable.  I am more worried these will be completely phased out by the time I have the money and then I will buy old stock and I am afraid if I have a problem I do not know what to expect.  I am not saying audeze, but I know some sunglass companies I have dealt with over warranty will not honor warranty on discontinued models if it is no longer available.  If I have a problem within the warranty period even if it is outdated I would hope they would replace with the latest version?  I know I am worrying too much and rambling.  Anybody know what this situation would hold if they were phased out and I had a problem?

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #6,308 of 6,486

Did they mention what else would be different about the 2.0? Are we talking about a completely different design?

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #6,311 of 6,486

Thanks. Looks like I will have to wait till summer before getting a headphone for work :/

You are welcome!  Sorry I don't have any more information.  I am kind of at the same point as well.  I won't have the money for a while and I would rather spend my little money on something that won't have problems all of the time.  I don't buy stuff to resell or to last a few months.  I buy expensive stuff very seldomly and need it to last a long time.

Cheers

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #6,312 of 6,486

Well, let me tell you... I've tried to decide really hard between the EL-8s and the DT 1990s. And now I kinda decided to go with the Beyers - for some of the mentioned reasons and others, like weight for ex. - And the build quality was always absolutely superb with Beyerdynamic - they are truly built like a tank, and the 1990s seem to be no exception... all while still being reasonably light... And they just have some neat advantages in the overall package imo... like a carrying case, mini xlr single sided, two cables (flat, coiled), two pairs of earpads. And many have written: the sound is supposed to be really, really good too & easy to drive. So yeah, I'm gonna go with them...

So, if you can live without planar magnetic cans... I'd maybe consider them :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #6,313 of 6,486
  Well, let me tell you... I've tried to decide really hard between the EL-8s and the DT 1990s. And now I kinda decided to go with the Beyers - for some of the mentioned reasons and others, like weight for ex. - The build quality was always absolutely superb with Beyerdynamic - they are truly built like a tank, while still being reasonably light... And they just have some neat advantages in the overall package imo... like a carrying case, mini xlr single sided, two cables (flat, coiled), two pairs of earpads. And many have written: the sound is supposed to be really, really good too & easy to drive. So yeah, I'm gonna go with them...

So, if you can live without planar magnetic cans... I'd maybe consider them :)

I am looking for closed back.  The Audeze weight was not an issue for me.  I have heard Beyers are pretty bright from many people, but I have never hear them so I personally do not know this as fact.  Please PM me if you want to suggest another headphone or discuss this further.  This is not the proper thread for such.  I don't want to get in trouble with the mods.

Thanks

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #6,314 of 6,486
If I were to buy a current stock EL8 when I go to San Francisco in April when I see A Perfect Circle.  If I were to need to send them in to Audeze for warranty say after the EL8 2.0 came out would Audeze give me the 2.0 as a replacement?  I know many people have sent their EL8 in for warranty and they claimed Audeze replaced the entire headphone with a brand new sealed in box pair.  would Audeze charge me anything if they had to send me a 2.0?  I do not know if Audeze even repair the EL8s or not to be honest.  Most people who have sent them in for warranty if under warranty get a brand new package pair.

Just a curiosity.  Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Thanks all

Riley

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,315 of 6,486
If I were to buy a current stock EL8 when I go to San Francisco in April when I see A Perfect Circle.  If I were to need to send them in to Audeze for warranty say after the EL8 2.0 came out would Audeze give me the 2.0 as a replacement?  I know many people have sent their EL8 in for warranty and they claimed Audeze replaced the entire headphone with a brand new sealed in box pair.  would Audeze charge me anything if they had to send me a 2.0?  I do not know if Audeze even repair the EL8s or not to be honest.  Most people who have sent them in for warranty if under warranty get a brand new package pair.

Just a curiosity.  Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Thanks all

Riley

While I don't know what Audeze's official policy on repair vs. replace is, I don't think they would charge you "extra" if they decide to replace your headphones in for repair with an updated version.

I don't recall seeing any posts where that's occurred in any of the Audeze threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back